aliens

Author Topic: saucer repair time  (Read 8082 times)

Offline lx

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
saucer repair time
« on: February 19, 2018, 04:15:11 am »
I build the Firestorm in 6 days.
Repairing takes 26+ days?!
Something needs to change.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: saucer repair time
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 03:01:29 pm »
Yes, this was from the original game. You get one point of damage repaired per hour; the best way to reduce repair time is to not take quite as much damage. Try using multiple craft to fight harder UFOs, use long range weapons like avalanche and plasma beams, or just leave Battleships alone.

If you want to write a mod to make the craft repair faster though, it's quite simple:
Code: [Select]
crafts:
  - type: STR_FIRESTORM
    repairRate: 2 # or 3 for 3 damage repaired per hour, or whatever you want

Offline Drasnighta

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 04:06:26 pm »
I build the Firestorm in 6 days.
Repairing takes 26+ days?!
Something needs to change.

Another way to look at it is this:

In 6 days, you built the firestorm from a pile of components, rare parts, and a crapton of money and workshop space...  All that Elerium, the Engine, the Alien Alloys...

...  when you are basically having to *rebuild* it after it comes back in tatters, you do so...  without consuming a single square foot of workshop space...  alien alloy...  Elerium iota...  control computer...  etc.

That takes time.  A lot of time.  In trade for not consuming components.

...  If  you want to have it rebuilt in 6 days, then you're just going to have to get rid of the wreck and actually *rebuild* it from a new pile of undamaged components :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 07:51:42 pm »
...  If  you want to have it rebuilt in 6 days, then you're just going to have to get rid of the wreck and actually *rebuild* it from a new pile of undamaged components :)

Why can't we "like" posts here? :D

Offline lx

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 10:44:46 pm »
ill go with the mod option. adding a zero makes it fit better to my workshop capacity.
that will do for now.
as i see ill have to do it for the rest of the crafts too

Offline NKF

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 08:34:01 am »
Don't forget the repair work is done by a regular repair team. The construction is done by highly paid engineers who probably know what they're doing.  ;)

Offline lx

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 06:07:56 am »
im i the only one to see this as a bug or design flaw?
why is everyone trying to imagine a way to swallow it?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 09:41:30 am »
Yes it is a flaw.

And it's completely harmless, doesn't need to change.

Offline lx

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 11:26:33 am »
it broke my game. i wont call that harmless.
i was expecting to have a ship ready and i was surprised to see that it was STILL completely wrecked.
i had to improvise, and leave an alien fleet roam free.
i sent it to be finished off.
 :o harmless? this is SPARTA! >:(

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 11:38:13 am »
i had to improvise

Even better then, I'd call it a nice feature if it triggers improvisation :)

Offline NKF

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 01:41:02 pm »
I don't disagree with repair speed being a bit flawed. The difference to fully repair an Interceptor (100HP) and an Avenger (1200HP) when both have been reduced to 1HP is quite remarkable. If my calculations are correct, the Interceptor would need 4 days 3hrs to the Avenger's 46 days 15hrs. 

However to be fair, we do have full control over how many engineers that are assigned to any project. Build times are therefore variable depending on the resources you have invested in the workshops. On the other hand we have no control over how many mechanics are assigned to the hangar maintenance crews. They simply restore a flat 1HP per hour.

One idea that comes to mind is to have a mode where the repair teams are allowed to pool and redistribute their resources to  increase the efficiency of the repairs.

For example you have three hangars and three damaged ships. The repairs will be at the usual rate of 1HP/Hr. As soon as one ship is fixed, the team that just finished will split up and head to the other hangars to help. Then when the second ship is fixed all three teams will combine their efforts on the last ship.

For the implementation this would probably involve a count of how many hangars that aren't busy, use some clever algorithm to calculate a fair repair speed bonus and then share it between the busy hangars. Bonus adjusted or limited to prevent abuse by purchasing lots of redundant hangars.

Is it necessary or practical? I don't know. But I suppose it would be a way to bring some parity with the workshops where performance is directly correlated to the number of workshops and engineers you have.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 01:12:28 am »
Don't forget the repair work is done by a regular repair team. The construction is done by highly paid engineers who probably know what they're doing.  ;)

Typical government contract: use 90% of funding for building, then leave only 10% for maintenance ;)

Offline lx

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 02:44:58 am »
to keep the argument - i only paid for one kind of engineers.

im about to implement a repair procedure, eventually, in the next 1000 years.
when i feel like reading a whole lot of code and texts.
i found my starting point so far.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 09:05:21 pm »
As ohartenstein23 said in the first response, you can change the repair rate in a mod. My mod does this, as I feel that it doesn't make sense that it takes so long. When I wrote my mod, I wasn't comparing build time to repair time though, I was instead thinking that a higher hit point craft isn't just more metal to damage, rather it is a tougher ship that actually takes less damage per hit. That is why I think the alien alloy craft should repair much faster.

But also ignoring realism and thinking only in terms of gameplay, a brawler needs three things to really be better than an interceptor:
1.) more speed, so it can catch things the interceptor can't
2.) more hit points, so it can survive in fights the interceptor can't
3.) faster repair, so that it can get back in the air sooner

If it lacks any one of these things, then it severely inhibits the craft's ability to truly stand above the interceptor as a brawler. But I guess in Vanilla there weren't any brawlers. All those hit points were largely useless save for the occasional mistake or that one time you just decided to pit everything against a battleship. Everything else could be easily outranged with plasma beams and avalanches, and the supply ship was the only one with enough hit points to warrant using something bigger than avalanche missiles. You could cheese down a terror ship with 2 interceptors and start-game tech, only hard part was catching it.

Offline David12

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
    • silvergate
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 05:25:10 pm »
Am I the only one to see this as a bug ?