Author Topic: [Answered] OXC/OXCE+ Modding Questions  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Admiral Naismith

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
[Answered] OXC/OXCE+ Modding Questions
« on: February 10, 2018, 11:13:22 am »
I found OpenXcom and its extensions recently and have been getting ready to replay TFTD (My first XCOM game), though I wanted to adjust a few things. In looking at the base rulesets and some existing mods, I've come up with a few questions, applicable to either base OXC or OXCE+:

1. One of the things I want to change is to remove Zrbite consumption as fuel. I've found that setting refuelitem to "" allows this, but then I need to adjust the fuel amounts as it shifts to using the regular fuel consumption system which varies by speed. The only way I can think of to keep the constant fuel consumption while not consuming Zrbite is to create a new item that isn't used for anything else, set it as the refuelitem, then start with something like 999999 (or is there a maximum?) of it and not worry about it - but then it would appear in my storage and look odd - is it possible to make an item not visible in storage and infinite? Or is there some other way to solve this?

2. Looking at some mods, I've found that it is both possible for a soldier's armor to be large and considered a vehicle, and to have small 1-tile vehicles. Unfortunately, it seems 1-tile vehicles count toward the vehicle limit, even though their small size should logically allow for more. Is it possible for those to count as 1/4 of a vehicle? Or count vehicles by number of tiles instead as by individual units? Or to count them as soldiers instead of SWSs?

3. I read somewhere (in a ruleset comment I think) that the minimum amount of space an item can take up is 0.1, unless it is 0 - is that actually the case? Can I set an item to take up 0.01 space for example, like for individual SWS ammo units I will have a lot of?

4. I remember there was an issue in the base game where there was a manufacturing limit of one item per hour, per base, and once that limit is reached, adding more technicians does nothing. Was this fixed in either OXC or OXCE+? Normally it wouldn't be much of an issue, but for something like Gauss cannon rounds it was an annoying problem.

5. As I've seen with some mods, rentable craft can also be made manufacturable. Does the game, either OXC or OXCE+, actually distinguish whether the craft was rented or manufactured when applying the rental cost at the end of the month? It seems it should only happen with rented craft, though the possibility of it also being manufactured is not in the base game so that may have been overlooked.

6. Is it possible to set up manufacturing in reverse? That is, to break down alien weapons into multiple units of Zrbite, for example? Or basically, produce multiple items from a single manufacture?

7. What is a good way to edit RMP route files? I found a mod that I want to use, but the latest version I could find seems to have an error that is shown in OXCE+ when I try using the reskinned Triton from that mod in a battle. It doesn't break the game, but is still annoying. I tried looking around here, but have so far not found the right tool or an updated version of that mod.

Thank you to anyone who can answer some of these.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 04:47:16 pm by Meridian »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: OXC/OXCE+ Modding Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 12:29:16 pm »
1. just change the refuel item and also the fuel capacity accordingly... not sure what you mean by "varies by speed"... xcom craft always move at maximum speed

2. it is possible to count SWS as soldiers... by making them a soldier type. there is basic support for it in OXC, for full capability you'll need OXCE+

3. it's not true... items can take also 0.01 space if you want

4. it was not a bug... but yes, it was changed in OXC

5. it's not distinguished, but you can make two identical craft, one with a cost and one without to achieve the same effect

6. yes

7. I have removed that warning recently, it won't bother you again... but to edit I think people use MapView? not sure...

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 03:57:09 pm »
Just had to chime in here, not because I have valuable feedback, but because I wanted to say, I love the choice of your user name @ Admiral Naismith !  I love the Vorkosigan Saga! Have read it multiple times!
Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline Admiral Naismith

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 11:46:28 am »
1. just change the refuel item and also the fuel capacity accordingly... not sure what you mean by "varies by speed"... xcom craft always move at maximum speed

2. it is possible to count SWS as soldiers... by making them a soldier type. there is basic support for it in OXC, for full capability you'll need OXCE+

3. it's not true... items can take also 0.01 space if you want

4. it was not a bug... but yes, it was changed in OXC

5. it's not distinguished, but you can make two identical craft, one with a cost and one without to achieve the same effect

6. yes

7. I have removed that warning recently, it won't bother you again... but to edit I think people use MapView? not sure...

Thanks for the reply, that's very helpful!

As for the confusion on the first question - I meant that for conventional fuel, the fuel consumption depends on the craft's speed - so a craft with a higher speed will run out of fuel faster than an otherwise identical, slower craft, though it will have traveled farther in the same amount of time. On the other hand, the fuel system that consumes elerium/zrbite or possibly other items is dependent entirely on airtime, with no consideration of speed. As far as I can tell, there seems to be no method to set conventional fuel to work this way, other than with a dummy item, which would then look strange in storage, unless it can be made infinite and hidden.
Also, there actually is a case of craft travelling slower that their maximum speed, from what I can tell - when set to patrol. This results in slower conventional fuel use but has no effect on item-fueled craft.

Also, for counting small SWSs as soldiers - could it also be possible to just set some SWSs to not count as vehicles, but still have them consume the appropriate amount of space in a craft, just so they do not count toward the vehicle maximum (but not as soldiers)? Or to create a custom "drone" type, for example, that would need a separate limit from "vehicles"?

Just had to chime in here, not because I have valuable feedback, but because I wanted to say, I love the choice of your user name @ Admiral Naismith !  I love the Vorkosigan Saga! Have read it multiple times!
Cheers, Ivan :D

Thanks! I've been using this name for a while, but I think this is the first time someone has mentioned recognizing it :)

Online ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 03:05:22 pm »
You could always make conventional fuel an actual item to purchase or manufacture, just make it cheap and easy to get.

Edit: Since there are always questions about it, the fuel use for craft is calculated like this:
  • If the craft has no refuelItem, then every 10 minutes it uses speed / 100 units of fuel, rounded down. Craft patrol at half of maximum speed, so fuel use is approximately halved, but could reach 0 for less than 200 max speed.
  • If the craft has a refuelItem, then every 10 minutes it uses 1 unit of fuel, no matter what it's doing.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 03:44:26 pm by ohartenstein23 »