Author Topic: Interfaces colors  (Read 4281 times)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
Interfaces colors
« on: February 09, 2018, 08:23:41 pm »
Okay so im modifying the battlescape palette to represent the final range of dark slate grays that the game hardcodes over it. The spare colors in the actual palette are used for text colors in the ufopaedia so they pop better, and obviously setting that final range to the battlescape grays causes those text colors to change.
(I know other people have been like, meh its something I can live with - But I be the one who is Doing something about it)

So which interfaces heading covers the text colors used in the Ufopaedia for item entries and such... the interface heading for the screen linked here, its a real jungle in that interfaces ruleset. (since im modifying the palette I will have to remap the colors for the Text in the ufopaedia so that they are still colorful and not steel-gray washed out)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 08:46:47 pm by RSSwizard »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Interfaces colors
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 09:06:24 pm »
In vanilla, they are hardcoded.

In OXCE+, it's these:

Code: [Select]
  - type: articleArmor
    elements:
      - id: button
        color: 15    # orange
      - id: text
        color: 239   # grey
      - id: list
        color2: 244  # light blue
  - type: articleCraftWeapon
    elements:
        color: 16    # orange
  - type: articleItem
    elements:
        color: 144   # orange
      - id: ammoColor
        color: 32    # red

PS: also, PLEASE, don't attach such huge images directly... either put them as attachment, or resize them at source, or resize them via the include tag

PS2: you won't find many usable colors in battlescape palettefor text... it's not built that way (except for that last row)... but this may help: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5652.0.html
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:12:56 pm by Meridian »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 09:15:09 pm »
Yeah, I asked Meridian to add these specifically with that in mind, and now he made it possible... (kudos!) Also it will stop Pedia images from being jumbled if the last 16 colors are used in pictures.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 09:35:33 pm »
In vanilla, they are hardcoded.
In OXCE+, it's these:

Thanks man, just helping me to help you guys thats all. From the looks of it the issue is gonna be addressed anyway... but for new mods all sorts of colors could be eschewed if they were able to simply use that final range (giving more mid and upper range tones available for other grays).
(I can easily see the alien alloy gray going from slate blue at the top, down to some dark purple or dark teal color at the bottom, thus adding darker colors that had a more limited expression before, while giving alien alloys tiles and ship sides a color-changing paint kind of look)

No I didnt attach the image, I know better, I provided it as an IMG link, I just did it at the bottom because I knew it might be monstrous.

One thing I would like to point out about the text colors is that since, at least in piratez, the teal color range, grass green colors, and a couple of the golden color ranges have been tweaked with a steep dropoff in intensity at the top (usually 2nd to 4th color of the range) that could probably be passable for the shadowed parts of the text. It wouldnt be as good but it may still work, im about to find out.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 09:40:06 pm »
No I didnt attach the image, I know better, I provided it as an IMG link, I just did it at the bottom because I knew it might be monstrous.

What I meant is that you can link and resize it like this:

Code: [Select]
[img width=500]https://www.ufopaedia.org/images/4/47/Weapon_Blunderbuss_Piratez.png[/img]

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 09:49:27 pm »
What I meant is that you can link and resize it like this:

Dang didnt know about that (quite useful).
Also... where do I stick this interface code under... Is it under Ufopaedia, Battlescape, Stats, Inventory...?

edit - scratch that, just realized each article has its own 'type'
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:54:07 pm by RSSwizard »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 09:54:57 pm »
It's directly under "interfaces:" in interfaces.rul, they don't have any parent item.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 10:28:17 pm »
It doesnt seem to work yet (no change, but also no errors were thrown).

screenshot is (probably) what my adjustments would have looked like, I set the text color to 4 so as to use the normal grays, and I set the blue color to 132 (teal range, 4 colors down). While the bluetext is brighter than usual its not washed out. I manually adjusted the image palette to remap the colors where they would likely go based on what the vanilla palette says about them.

posted it to show (preview) that this is has hope of being usable

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 10:31:22 pm »
It needs OXCE+ 2018-01-19 or newer.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 12:05:02 am »
Using 1/31 version executable throws an error in piratez for the rangefinder, which it looks like was intended to be disabled for now. All it takes to fix it is giving it clipsize -1 and its the only compatibility issue ive seen so far (quite painless).

Here's the colors adjustments taken from in the game. So hows this for readability? I think this is still passable for remapping colors. The sky blue remapped pretty well.

Colors remapped:
text/list: 5
color2: 131

(if you wanted to change the color of the basic text to something other than grayish id suggest trying out indexes: 84, 98, or 146... rustmetal, orange, or straw respectively since these have a fair drop in luminance right after these indexes)