Author Topic: Research bug  (Read 2534 times)

Offline Nokturnal

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Research bug
« on: January 11, 2018, 01:16:23 am »
Hi guys,

And congratulations on an awesome rendition of an old classic :)

I would be happier if I wasn't being plagued by the old research bug.

I started playing again on Steam, and I think I screwed up the research with the Deep One terrorist, as I can't research beyond Aqua Armour and progress the game.

I've since started playing OXC and transferred the saved game, thus bringing the screwed up research tree with me.

Is there any way to fix this, or would I have to start afresh with OXC? =(

I'd really rather not have to start again, this is my third attempt already after my online saves screwed up a few weeks ago...

Many thanks!

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: Research bug
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 01:52:20 am »
The bug should not 'transfer' into OXC - the research tree itself is not a part of your saved game. If you are really stuck though, OXC writes its save files as plain text. You can either edit it or post it here and we can take a look at it.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 10:26:16 am »
OXCE+ engine allows to browse the research tree by pressing "q" in Geoscape or middle-clicking topics in the lab. If you are stuck, you can check the prerequisites. It's available here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/board,22.0.html

Offline Nokturnal

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 04:27:14 pm »
Thanks guys.  Once ohartenstein23 mentioned that the save games are saved as text I went back to check my saves; I'd forgotten that they are saved separately, I had looked at the original save folders when I looking to edit them.

I just added another Deep One to my base inventory and researched it again, and bam! Ion armour was back on the menu =D

I might add in the remaining live aliens to research, as I never captured a live Gillman, and they haven't appeared since the first few missions, and a live Bio Drone, as they never seem to come back alive even when stunned...

But at least now I can progress again.

Many thanks!! =))

Offline Yataka Shimaoka

• Colonel
  • I'm the trouble maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 07:56:22 pm »
We just taught a new guy on how to cheat the game, well played guys :}