Author Topic: Weapon damage calculation spreadsheet  (Read 8246 times)

Offline suicicoo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Weapon damage calculation spreadsheet
« on: December 25, 2017, 11:44:40 pm »
Hi there,

being a little frustrated while trying to figure out which weapons to use for my gals i decided to create this spreadsheet to help me - and i'm sharing it with you!
But maybe you can help me too?
I don't know, what the following mean:
- Shock x1,5(or 4 ...)
- Extra Damage (Lethal): x%

Where should i get the values from? The wiki differs, at least in the 2 marked lines, from the values shown ingame...
I would be glad about improvement suggestions.
The whole thing is still WIP and atm only includes weapons i've already reserched.
Sorry, but i have no access to excel atm, file type is OpenofficeSpreadsheet.

Update 26.12.2017:
 - more weapons inside
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 09:59:10 am by suicicoo »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon damage calculation spreadsheet
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 11:59:33 pm »
The https://ufopaedia.org article is terribly out of date, so it's not the most reliable source of information on weapons.  If you're willing to dig in some really long text files, all of the weapons stuff is contained in piratez.rul.  Some of the info like what 'shock' means is contained in other in-game pedia articles.

Offline suicicoo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 12:54:46 am »
Thanks for the tip with the piratez.rul - thats really helpful, if also really annoying at the same time - managing to find the infos in this giant tower of text.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 01:30:13 am »
Search functions are really helpful.  You can use Piratez_lang.rul to find the in-game name of the weapon and from that what its STR name is to search for in piratez.rul.

Offline bouchacha

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 02:26:12 am »
I tried to create a spreadsheet as well and appreciate your efforts. In the end, a spreadsheet is not that useful because *most* weapons are useless. The general recommendation early on is "Just use an ax. Use a handle if you want to stun, or use fisticuffs if your melee is high enough". You can basically ignore 95% of weapons and the amount of effort required to pair them with your gals is usually not worth it.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 02:34:17 am »
You've found Dioxine's trap - optimising your weapon choices is a never-ending rabbit hole. Just use what you like and when that fails, use an axe or a heavy plasma.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 09:58:15 am »
With the vast amount of items in the mod you'll keep shuffling gear anyway.
Guns will have clear 'upgraded' versions of themselves to outrule the inferior version of it.

With the way the game alloys you to equip whatever you want to whoever you wish it's mandatory to micro manage the loadout of every single gal.
We're talking about a core-game made in the last millenium so you can't compare it to the mess of 'hold-my-hand-daddy' games of 2010+ including those wanna-be X-Com reboots.

Offline bouchacha

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 10:22:53 am »
I don't mind micromanaging necessarily; it's just that the engine limitations really make this difficult. Ideally the inventory screen would automatically calculate damage for each person, and you'd also be able to sort by TU, energy cost, stun damage, etc. and choose accordingly. Massive props to Meridian and Dioxine for working with what they have nevertheless.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 01:25:56 pm »
I used to want end damage shown on the inventory screen myself, but ultimately decided that just looking on the unit's stats is good enough, and doesn't feel as gamey. Truth is, it's a matter of practice, but it pays off in experience and doesn't even require much effort. I'm personally fine with this.
And yeah, things were definitely worse before the QoL additions from the OXC dev team and Meridian!

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 03:19:30 pm »
QoL and further modders efforts made the overall game alot better than the vanilla versions.
*80 items limit* *cough cough*

Some number crunching is involved. If you want the exact damage roll just use a calculator to get something like reaction-bonus and add it to the base damage etc.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 04:59:22 pm »
Yes, but my point was that it's not really necessary to go that far and figure out the end number with exact calculations. It's perfectly fine to just check whether this gal's relevant stat is poor, okay or good, and assign weapons by this (and the information on any bonuses under ANAL). It works well enough.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 08:39:44 pm »
It does for me. I'm fine with this and it's obvious to give pistols with reaction-score bonus to those with high reactions and decent aim.
Dress them up in guerilla or chromeback and boom: Profit.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 10:42:52 pm »
You can add to general guideline:
A stun baton is better than a handle in most cases.

Lots of enemies have higher stun resistance than resistance to electroshock.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 12:04:31 am »
I like to keep sticking with the cute handle.
Stun baton feels like best used to bash down unarmored civilians since those don't get much value out of the 'enemy armor' buff.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 12:37:30 am »
Stun baton feels like best used to bash down unarmored civilians since those don't get much value out of the 'enemy armor' buff.

Did you read the stats wrong? The stun baton is especially good vs armor. Enemy armor is reduced by 25% (armor effectiveness 0.75). The cattle prod gets 50% reduction of enemy armor.
The handle gets a penalty vs armor. The multiplier is 1.22

That is why the stun baton is better than the hanlde. It's a lot more effective vs armored enemies than the handle, thus useful in more situations.