Author Topic: Resource editor Apps  (Read 2998 times)

Hyper2Snyper

Resource editor Apps
« on: December 15, 2017, 12:02:29 am »
I would like to know if there are any good picture editors that work with a pallet

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Resource editor Apps
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 12:51:52 am »

Hyper2Snyper

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 01:12:45 am »
For android. Sorry ;)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 05:58:18 pm »
For android. Sorry ;)

The answer is No unless you consider that new subscription based adobe cc photoshop. And the reason why I am giving it a prohibitive No, such that I severely doubt you will ever find one for the Android environment and all hope should be abandoned for this is a speech that follows:

Here is where we come to the point where it becomes a clear example that smartphones, tablets, running android are not serious computer systems and they provide dumbed down versions of PC content. They are at best viewers for content that has been produced by a computer... for example there are various pc games that have been ported to android, there are viewers and trimmed down/restricted editors for some types of content such as document formats. But Program Access is severely limited almost exclusively to newly designed applications for the platform itself, with almost no consideration to the gamut of previously established software and industry standards for computing or content creation. And even the list of capabilities for what those applications can do is a trimmed, watered down, introductory version compared to what equivalent PC applications can do.

In my opinion, and it may just be mine, you should not treat your android system as being anything more than a utility device similar to flip phones from the early 2000s era. Do not ever expect them to fill the same role as a Computer, or as a Gaming Console, with the only exception being for apps that have been created exclusively for these devices (and in alot of cases any apps that have been created for mobile phones are not being back-ported to computer systems, take for instance dating sites or chat sites that have a mobile app but do not have a web browser portal to access them from a computer browser).

Mobile devices serve a function... providing a portable capability to do something at a bare minimum, or access data in case of an emergency. The necessity to use them to view exclusive content dedicated only to the mobile device is a marketing gimmick to inject life into creating a completely separate network.

There is still a wide array of useful tools that require a Dos Prompt in order to access and so far I have not found any android emulators for that. In this particular case you're talking about there are alot of older graphics programs, take Adobe Photoshop 7 for example, that have not been ported or emulated to an android environment in any way.

Compound this with the architecture for an android environment also being more limited than a PC and producing an Emulator for Android which can run traditional software or operating systems (like Windows 95) is extremely prohibitive and I doubt that even within the next 10 years these systems would be capable of the system requirements necessary to do it.
(its sorta like how we still dont have Playstation 3 emulators for PC even though the Playstation 3 came out in 2007 and has now been completely phased out by the PS4).

Another factor you should consider is that palletized graphics are considered by the industry and society to be obsolete technology and it has been for 15 years. What these people dont realize is that there are alot of strengths to palletized graphics if a custom format were created that utilized a larger set of colors such as 512 or 1024 colors (so that palette swapping and gradient color remapping could still take place), even if using it as a basis to store an image file so that 24bit color adjustments could be done to it post-process. But as usual the baby was thrown out with the bath water.

Unless there is a program ive missed that has been ported as a mobile app, which still retains the capability to accurately work with 256 color palettes without messing up their color alignment... I dont think you will Ever see this type of beast being included in the android or iphone family.

And to re-iterate the point I explained earlier, just from a practical standpoint, I dont advise you to consider your android device to be an end-all-be-all to your computer needs. I dont consider my smartphone to be anything more than an mp3 player and a viewer/player for mobile content that I cant access from my computer.

If you don't have a PC I suggest going to a pawn shop or looking online for an older Laptop in the $100-150 range so that you have a device which can run almost all of the applications that have been created in the last 30 years of computing history. And when you get it I suggest doing your best to downgrade it to Windows 7 if you can.

I would also suggest getting Adobe Photoshop 7, specifically by a means that doesn't require paying for it since the industry has left it behind, and even adobe doesn't care about pursuing any copyright infractions of it (it is unofficially abandonware). But I will not mention any of those methods here. I have had my copy for 12 years.

Last I heard if you wanted to get a paid copy of Photoshop 7 you can get it in CD format in the original box from ebay or amazon for about $20-30. Considering everything that it does compared to more recent software that might charge alot more I think you'd still be getting a great bargain (that price has more to do with collectors value I think). It even does decent Tablet emulation if you have a drawing tablet, for anime and other handdrawn artwork. Remember that this program and its predecessors helped build the entire graphic design empire and everything it produced from basically 1995-2005 including all of its website graphics, aero-style buttons, publication images and even postprocessing for movies, and thats saying alot.
(GIMP may do alot of these things now but it still doesnt handle 256 color palettes well enough to be used for gaming purposes)

If you want something I can link to you right now that might do the job I used Paint Shop Pro extensively before I upgraded to Photoshop. I dont suggest getting any version of PSP above 7 because starting at version 8 they gutted the program. Its listed here for free as abandonware:
http://www.oldversion.com/windows/paint-shop-pro/

Hyper2Snyper

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 07:38:49 pm »
Thanks for the information

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 03:32:35 am »
I agree completely with RSSWizard. I'll usually approach questions with a can-do attitude, thus I wouldn't have been the one to say don't use a smartphone for this. But I can't recommend strongly enough that you do this on a real computer. It'll save you a lot of effort and headache in the long term if you plan to get serious on modding.

But if you feel a need to get it done on smartphone, I'm sure there is a way though it may be extremely arcane and wholly not worth the effort.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 03:41:38 am »
I don't recommend it, but it is possible to gain root access on Android devices; they are, after all, just running a flavor of linux operating system.  At that point, you can install pretty much anything you want as if you had a computer running linux, but good luck getting it to run nicely with only a touchscreen interface.

You could try looking for pixel editor apps that run on Android and use them to sketch down ideas for image resources, but I wouldn't expect them to be easily transferable.