Author Topic: Sound of hidden movement  (Read 10082 times)

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Sound of hidden movement
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2017, 06:26:18 am »
there's no denial of information, it was a matter of brevity and staying on topic. i mean, in a thread named "Sound of hidden movement" you wouldn't expect a full write up of the complete alien behavioural routines.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 07:13:09 am by Warboy1982 »

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2017, 08:51:16 pm »
I meant in the game as a whole. The information you gave was very welcome for some of us, and most of us just won't read it. I think if you feel up to writing it, it should be publicly available in the wiki or elsewhere where we can find it.

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2017, 09:20:47 pm »
I meant in the game as a whole. The information you gave was very welcome for some of us, and most of us just won't read it. I think if you feel up to writing it, it should be publicly available in the wiki or elsewhere where we can find it.
Its available on github in "plain" text :>

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2017, 11:31:41 pm »
there's no denial of information, it was a matter of brevity and staying on topic. i mean, in a thread named "Sound of hidden movement" you wouldn't expect a full write up of the complete alien behavioural routines.
Actually, the full run-down of what unseen aliens do and how that should sound — or why that can't sound right — fits the topic perfectly.
Its available on github in "plain" text :>
Most of us have only a rudimentary understanding of the language :) And constantly need to ask to clarify something.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 11:34:29 pm by tkzv »

The_Funktasm

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2017, 07:03:39 am »
Not to mention that everyone has their own tactics whether they know the logic they should work counter to or not. That's a fun and frustrating thing in game development.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2017, 07:35:05 am »
Most of us have only a rudimentary understanding of the language :) And constantly need to ask to clarify something.

i actually went out of my way to add a lot of comments and use variable names that made contextual sense in the interests of clarity and full disclosure in the AI Module, so that if a casual observer WERE to look into it, they shouldn't have a great deal of difficulty understanding it, at least on a very basic level. Meridian and Yankes can probably attest to this - there's nothing "hidden" in the code.

all that said though, i'm always willing to answer questions. (as long as they're not about reapers)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 07:39:35 am by Warboy1982 »

The_Funktasm

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2017, 07:46:46 am »
i actually went out of my way to add a lot of comments and use variable names that made contextual sense in the interests of clarity and full disclosure in the AI Module, so that if a casual observer WERE to look into it, they shouldn't have a great deal of difficulty understanding it, at least on a very basic level. Meridian and Yankes can probably attest to this - there's nothing "hidden" in the code.

all that said though, i'm always willing to answer questions. (as long as they're not about reapers)

If a reaper falls over, how does it stand up again? (totally kidding.)

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2017, 07:57:23 am »
it doesn't.

Hyper2Snyper

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2017, 08:30:47 am »
I love these kinds of intelligent talks. :)

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2017, 10:53:14 am »
all that said though, i'm always willing to answer questions.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

But I meant not knowing enough C++. Last time I went digging OXC code, I had to learn what an "iterator" is :)

(as long as they're not about reapers)
I'll bite. Is this sone kind of an in-joke?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2017, 12:18:01 pm »
It would be possible to implement xcom2012-like sound cues... but it would be useful only for the player, not for the AI... and thus my interest in it is not very high.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2017, 12:28:13 pm »
I know I've mentioned it a few times already, but UNIMOD (a huge mod for UFO: Extraterrestrials) had a very nice system of sound environment. I can outline it here if you are interested.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2017, 07:42:15 pm »
It would be possible to implement xcom2012-like sound cues... but it would be useful only for the player, not for the AI... and thus my interest in it is not very high.
I haven't played 2012 much and don't remember what exactly was there. When I started this thread, I mistakenly expected behaviour similar to Apocalypse. In it sounds allowed to determine the species of aliens, distance travelled and rough direction. Will AI side benefit from rough target positions for area of effect weapons? I'd expect the opposite problem -- the game becoming too hard for human player, as consealment is no longer as effective. Maybe walking, running and different weapons should have different audibility ranges.