Author Topic: Bug? Tanks can't run a mission  (Read 4226 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Bug? Tanks can't run a mission
« on: December 07, 2017, 06:51:33 am »
I was unable to land a Lightning loaded with 4 tanks at a terror site. The craft would fly out to the site, then simply return home as soon as it arrived, as if it had no ground crew. I can get tank-only missions easily in the custom battle generator as well as in base defense missions, but I can't get my craft to make one.

This is in Nightly 2017-11-09.

Offline Yataka Shimaoka

• Colonel
  • I'm the trouble maker
    • View Profile
Re: Bug? Tanks can't run a mission
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 11:57:12 am »
Even in the original this wasn't allowed, I think it might be because there are no meat present in the craft to provide instructions to the tanks :p

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 12:27:04 pm »
like yataka shimaoka said try the del and create again if you havent done it already
crafts:
  - delete: LIGHTNING
  - type: STR_LIGHTNING

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 10:19:57 pm »
Even in the original this wasn't allowed, I think it might be because there are no meat present in the craft to provide instructions to the tanks :p
I don't think the soldiers are who is providing the instructions.

It is likely that the development team would have needed to make a redundant set of code or re-write existing code in order to have enabled tanks to go to the mission alone. To that end, they would have:
1.) denied it, considering it unworthy of development time or code space
2.) placed it on the backburner and never got around to it
3.) maybe didn't realize this would happen, limited playtesting by a small number of people may have never happened upon this situation

I doubt that they felt it would be a good idea for a base defended only by tanks to never get a chance to fight the aliens. While it is possible any of them felt that a mission shouldn't be only tanks, they probably would have only supported such a feature if they weren't aware of the hardships potentially endured by enforcing the rule.

But this is openxcom, the devs of this project have decided there is no reason to include this bug/feature in the game, and thus we have the capability of doing the following things:
1.) creating a tanks-only mission in the battle generator, any type
2.) defending the base with only tanks
3.) going to a landed or crashed UFO with only tanks

like yataka shimaoka said try the del and create again if you havent done it already
crafts:
  - delete: LIGHTNING
  - type: STR_LIGHTNING
Why would that work? It shouldn't matter whether the craft is in the original ruleset or not.

I just did some testing, this time only using craft that my mod adds to the ruleset. I was not able to get the Stormstrike or Vanquisher to land at an alien base with only tanks, but they will happily land at a landed or crashed ship with only tanks. It would seem they are unwilling to land with only tanks on terror sites and alien bases only, and I don't see any pattern as to why these sites would be treated differently except that both use a magenta tag on the geoscape.

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 10:26:57 pm »

Why would that work? It shouldn't matter whether the craft is in the original ruleset or not.

i guess i read it diferently anyway the reason i said that is
 sometimes you can´t override the original details of rulletset and since original light don´t allow to carry veicules may have something to do with it , but i see now that your problem is different and way over my skills to help

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 07:27:33 pm »

I remember automatically losing a base during a retaliation on the original game because I only had HWPs assigned and no soldiers. But this was years ago and my memory might be making up things

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 10:57:43 pm »
I remember automatically losing a base during a retaliation on the original game because I only had HWPs assigned and no soldiers. But this was years ago and my memory might be making up things
No, it's definitely correct, and several others have had similar experiences. I once lost a base that had several million dollars worth of tanks present to defend it, before the living quarters even got finished.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 12:19:23 pm »
I was unable to land a Lightning loaded with 4 tanks at a terror site. The craft would fly out to the site, then simply return home as soon as it arrived, as if it had no ground crew. I can get tank-only missions easily in the custom battle generator as well as in base defense missions, but I can't get my craft to make one.

This is in Nightly 2017-11-09.

This has been implemented recently in the nightlies...

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 11:02:08 pm »
Thank you.