aliens

Author Topic: What's wrong with the picture?  (Read 3158 times)

Offline Kato

• Captain
  • ASHU is coming
    • View Profile
What's wrong with the picture?
« on: November 08, 2017, 07:45:43 am »
In H2 I have a feeling that some textures are somewhat darker in comparison with G4. Just look at these paperdolls. They are identical. But what a difference in contrast / brightness! Why? I do like old graphics from G4. New one (H2) is a, urrrgh, piece of reapershit. I don't speak about battlescape yet, that's really toxic and eye-hurting.

Would you like to enable custom brightness / contrast / color, please?

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
Re: What's wrong with the picture?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 09:47:59 am »
That's kinda nitpicking for no real reason.
Yes it's alot brighter and shiny now. Maybe because the gal's are radiate hellerium? Dunno but I don't see a reason to change it other than a complete overhaul of all paperdolls.
That would take alot of work tho for just asthetic reasons (and grafic isn't the selling point of this game alone, it's more the depth of gameplay current games can't bring to the table anymore).

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 09:49:22 am »
While i may not feel as strongly as some about recent visual changes, i do agree they are worse to my eye. Not to discount the work put in to the new stuff, but i feel that the previous lower quality stuff somehow "fit" better.

Offline Kato

• Captain
  • ASHU is coming
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 06:50:21 pm »
The problem is not in design. The paperdolls are awesome. And if you check "Resources\Armors" folders' pictures you will see that they ARE 100% identical. But in the game (ver. 99H1 and newer) all graphic stuff become oversharpened and... more yellow (see buildings and wheat on the farm map for example). Why? Are there some built-in always-enabled shaders or whatewer?

I am asking for:

EITHER 1: add an option to configure game's contrast / brightness / gamma manually.
OR 2: just set those levels to G4's parametres and don't change them anymore.

What I see now is not cool, seriously.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 06:55:45 pm »
It's just a palette tweak, Dioxine's been trying out different settings over the past few versions.  You just need a mod or ruleset edit to revert that.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 06:58:57 pm »
The reason for the difference, is that Dioxine and Bloax have developed a new custom palette that they have implemented in X-PirateZ.  I believe it was first implemented in 99H.

New and current graphics are being optimized to use this new palette as development continues. So any effort to reverse this by the player by changing the settings to use the old standard palettes will probably result in images that will become jarring and unsatisfactory.

The bottomline is that this is the new normal for X-PirateZ, and players will get used to it, stop playing, or only play up to the last version that had the original palettes.