Author Topic: psi training and base detection  (Read 7459 times)

Offline TCH

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
psi training and base detection
« on: October 25, 2017, 02:34:23 pm »
I just got two questions, but since i don't know if they are bugs, i'll ask before reporting:

- I turned on the option to be able to assign the soldiers to Psi-training at anytime. The Psi-Labs were finished exactly on the start of the new month and i assigned the soldiers in the soldiers screen on all bases. One month has passed, but much to my surprise, instead of getting Psi-skills for all soldiers, only one soldier got Psi-skills per base. (http://oscomp.hu/depot/xcom_psi.png) Is this a bug, or the soldiers randomly progresses? (I've read the description, that it takes 30 to 60 days to complete the basic training, but if that is not finished, shouldn't everyone has zero then?)

- I see Supply ships at several areas on the planet, a lot of them, but i cannot detect the base if i patrol at the landing zone of them. I hunt for the base for hours or days around where the Supply ship landed and no avail. Bug or intended?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: psi training and base detection
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 04:40:08 pm »
The psi training at any time option is indeed a  small random chance per day to increase psi skill and reveal strength, so it shouldn't happen all at once, but gradually over a few weeks.

For detecting a base, your craft has to be patrolling nearby - the patrolling state, i.e., sitting at a waypoint, not moving. Every 30 minutes there's a chance of detecting the base while patrolling, but it decreases with distance from the base. If you sit a craft right where the supply ship landed for a few hours and see nothing, then that might be a bug, or the ship was part of the mission to build the base, but it hasn't been built yet.

Offline TCH

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 04:52:04 pm »
Yep, i know, i patrolled exactly over the Supply ship's landing point. This worked for six times (i found six bases) in my current game, but it didn't in several occasions. Maybe it's not yet constructed... I'll try more. Thanks for answering.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 06:16:45 pm »
I noticed that, too. It is especially stunning, when you see, where these ships were/are actually headed. I had situations, where the hyper wave decoder told me, that the target area was southern America, while the supply ship actually landed in Europe. Such things happen, and I know they didn't always. Of course, when patrolling over such a supply ship, you can stay there forever and never find any base, as the base is actually placed somewhere completely different. Only thing I am not sure about is, whether this happens, when you destroyed a base while the supply mission was already scheduled or something like this. Or whether it simply happens, no matter what you did before.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 06:28:00 pm »
- I see Supply ships at several areas on the planet, a lot of them, but i cannot detect the base if i patrol at the landing zone of them. I hunt for the base for hours or days around where the Supply ship landed and no avail. Bug or intended?

If it is exactly as you described, then it is a bug.

Would you have a save where we can see this behaviour?

Offline Yataka Shimaoka

• Colonel
  • I'm the trouble maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 07:16:28 pm »
I don't want to judge, but by the looks of it, it seems like those ships were conducting different missions on the same time. I'll list them:
1)Supply Mission
2)Base Building
3)Infiltration

So we really needed the save so we can analyse it if its a bug or just missions happening on the same time

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 07:46:00 pm »
For all 3 of those missions he should be able to find a base... which he didn't... so not sure what you wanted to say...

A save will help.

Offline TCH

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 10:38:10 pm »
I always follow the Supply ships, but sometimes the base is simply not there. I reported this issue in the bugtracker and attached three different saves with this situation:

https://openxcom.org/bugs/openxcom/issues/1364

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 07:08:12 am »
alien infiltration missions and alien base construction missions will both spawn supply ships at some point

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 09:35:06 am »
And yet, I had supply ships on supply missions, landing somewhere completely different as was advertised by the hyperwave decoder. (No, don't have a save for you right now, sorry.)

Offline TCH

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 10:16:42 am »
And yet, I had supply ships on supply missions, landing somewhere completely different as was advertised by the hyperwave decoder. (No, don't have a save for you right now, sorry.)
Why? That wasn't like this in the original game.
I can confirm that and i have saves, already uploaded to the bugtracker.

Offline TCH

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 01:38:10 pm »
An administrator closed the case as not a bug, so i cannot comment there, thus i have to do it here:
This is definetely a bug, if not a code bug, then a conceptional one. In the original game, Supply ships do base supply, they are not supposed to construct bases or infiltrate governments. Even the ufopaedia states this:
Once an Alien base is constructed, it is resupplied on a regular basis by special supply vessels. If one of these vessels is detected while landing then it is certain that an Alien base is nearby.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 01:47:01 pm »
Supply ships are part of base construction and infiltration missions.
They come in the last waves... shortly before the base is constructed.
Same in openxcom and in the original game.

Ufopedia is correct too... after you see a supply ship, there is or will be a base nearby!
(infiltration and base construction missions create alien bases too)

Attaching a description from ufopedia, if you don't believe us :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 02:10:46 pm by Meridian »

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 03:13:03 pm »
In the original game, Supply ships do base supply, they are not supposed to construct bases
Not quite right. AFAIR, they did participate in constructing Bases. 1 battleship and 2 supply ships, all landing around the same corner, constructing a new base. Later on they of course only do supply runs. About the other missions, I'm not sure about that any more. But that's not a problem for me. Let them do the other missions, too. But a supply ship supplying somewhere completely different as the actual base's position, that's really nonsense.

Offline TCH

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 04:09:30 pm »
Oh, i did not know that.
I always played the game on Amiga and there Supply ships only appeared if a base is already constructed. I thought it was the same in the PC version.