Author Topic: End Game Flares for UFO and TFTD  (Read 10649 times)

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
End Game Flares for UFO and TFTD
« on: September 26, 2017, 04:50:01 am »
Update by Meridian: newest version here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5727.msg114958.html#msg114958

These are for Kjotleik - these are the flares I made for my FMP and TFTD playthroughs - basically high-luminance flares that require alien technology to unlock.   

« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 04:19:14 pm by Meridian »

Offline Kjotleik

• Colonel
  • I am Kjotleik
    • View Profile
Re: End Game Flares for UFO and TFTD
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 08:32:19 pm »
Thanks!

Much appreciated.

I'll play around with these the upcoming weekend. The UFO:EU version of the flare, that is.

--- posts merged ---

Hello, Starving Poet.

Your elerium_flares.rul was missing this little tid-bit of code in the ufopaedia-section:

Code: [Select]
    requires:
      - STR_ELERIUM_FLARE

Imagine my surprise when I started a test-game and found that I had info about Elerium-flares in my UFOPaedia. Now fixed in my files, but maybe you should fix it in the download as well?

And I hope you don't mind too much that I tweaked your numbers a bit. I found it rather silly that the salesprice for an Elerium-flare was way lower than the open market sales/purchase-price of regulare Electro-flares. And I reduced the Alloy-requirement from two to one. It is costly enough to spend a regular flare (300) a bit of Elerium-115 (5 000) and an Alloy (6 500) for a total of $11 800 for one flare. A salesprice of $500 doesn't make it profitable, but is more reasonable when comparing it to the regular flare's purchase/sales prices of $300/$150.

And I removed your melee-tweaks rul-file.

Now I'm off to YouTube. Need to check up on if you've managed to kill me off in your X-Com Files wednesday nighttime (in Europe) stream. Can I complain if it is a silly death?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 08:48:31 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 12:57:49 am »
Yeah, we were playing around with the prices - the original idea was to make them disposable, but I like what you've done with them.  I'll go ahead and fix the missing ufopaedia entry limit on my end.  :)

And you are free to complain, but how ever you die is entirely your fault.  ;)

Offline Dwarmin

• Sergeant
  • Smoke grenades saved the Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 04:37:21 pm »
A nice little mod!

Your little snippet of lore for Zbrite flares makes me want to port Overlords from the Area 51 mod into TFTD.  ;D

Offline Dr.Crowley

• Colonel
  • Saving data in the name of the Emperor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 08:37:34 am »
All we need now is combining these uber-flares with grenade launcher ;D

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 09:21:48 pm »
Can you get with Möjang and tell them how to make a bigger torch? I think Minecraft could really use this but they seem to think it can't be done.

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 08:38:47 pm »
I tried making a flare that can be launched... but only items can glow :)    I had an early flare gun where the magazine glowed nice and bright! 

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 09:21:52 pm »
I tried making a flare that can be launched... but only items can glow :)    I had an early flare gun where the magazine glowed nice and bright!

That is precisely why the Flare Gun works as it does in X-Com Files... ;)

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 11:10:46 pm »
Is this not intended for use with vanilla OpenXcom? I'm asking, because it requires »STR_POWER_SOURCE_MINIATURIZATION« in order to be researchable. In the metadata.yml, however it says »Upgraded Flares that unlock after lasers.«

Offline Dwarmin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 07:20:30 pm »
Probably just a relic from the mod he made it for. I would just pop in STR_LASER_WEAPONS as a quick fix, that would link with the vanilla rul set.

My personal change when I noticed it, was to just to link it to E-115 (STR_ELERIUM_115) research, because it fits to the Area 51 mod much better, where advanced tech is much harder to unlock.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 08:07:59 pm »
I did it similar. I added E-115 and UFO energy source as requirements. I think, that makes it a bit more believable. But still that makes them quite early game accessible. In principle, you only need one crashed UFO with intact energy source or one landed UFO. I'm thinking of changing the ufopedia text as well, as it doesn't quite seem to fit then. There are no elerium batteries in the vanilla game. I'm thinking, it might also go well with the additional E-115 research mod, floating around out there. That'd be a nice spin off.

Offline Dwarmin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 08:36:19 pm »
Yah, in vanilla, lasers are available right off along with medkits and scanners as the 'best humanity has to offer', but it does say you get the tech after lasers.

I'm guessing it was actually meant to be a spin-off tech of E-115, anyway, and that is the string it was meant to use.

In area 51 it is somewhat similar, but lasers are mid-tier weapons, you develop after Gauss Weaponry, all of which you derive from Alien alloys. Or steal from the MIB.

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 05:20:44 pm »
Ah yeah -  the flares were added to FMP.  That explains the miniaturization.   Moving to after power source and navigation would work.   Yes it might only take one UFO,  but the same can be said of all the plasma weapons as well.

If you really want to at least delay it a bit.  You could do require laser cannons and ufo power source or require an alien capture.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 05:13:07 am »
What version of this mod is?

I would like to download and get it to my folder called "J-Kuns OpenXCOM Mod Collection" so that i can try these after some practice with cover, smoke and a tiny bit of other stuff that are not smoke and cover (Very important. But i recommend misses and deaths).
This version is based on the FMP tech progression currently.  TFTD flares are based on vanilla progression.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 06:35:03 pm »
I'm using elerium flares in my current game of hardmode expansion and have noticed if I update to latest OXCE of 18/06/19 the mod fails to load as it says the sprite number exceeds the 1000 limit set in "bigobs".pck. It still works with OXCE of 19/05/19.