aliens

Author Topic: Statistics soldiers  (Read 17598 times)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: Statistics soldiers
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2018, 11:43:14 pm »
did you try excluding your openxcom directory from anti-virus scan-on-access?  I know that has caused poor performance for me.

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2018, 12:10:18 am »
Tried both ."exe " - no differences in load speed were found. The speed is the same as the standard OXCE+ latest version.

CPU Intel Core E7500 so what will... I have on this CPU World of Tanks and a Perfect World - just fly like swallows. No brakes, no lags, no traffic lights. And for openxcom it may lack performance? Not believe!

Yeah, well, the CPU is almost identical to mine wrt OpenXcom. Something's killing I/O and it isn't OpenXcom code, because, well, there isn't anything in it that could.

A clue can be extracted from watching what's happening during a savegame load with something like process explorer

Like, what processes are eating the CPU during the load. I think even the stock task manager can do it, or at least show if CPU usage spikes, and that would be a useful data point, but I'm no windows expert.

I don't actually believe that even a batshit insane antivirus pile of crap can slow down reading a simple text file even if it's 5Mb. I can believe that an antivirus can slow down the startup, since that's when a ton of files get read/parsed. But not on  a savegame load, where it's just one file, whatever its size.

And since you say WoT behaves nice enough, then it's probably not a hardware problem.

Still, no ideas on what could be the problem in OXCE+ code. Please look into what's going on in the system when you're loading a save. You are literally the only set of eyes we have on the problem.

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2018, 12:37:40 am »
We do not do what is really needed. Statistics of soldiers need to put in order, so that detailed information about each destroyed unit is not kept for the entire game time. To simplify all of it. As in FALLOUT 2-so much of these units destroyed\stunned and how many destroyed\stunned with such a weapon, so many missions performed a certain type, so many times successfully applied panic\telepathic control. Why did need this hemorrhoids with " kill List-turn: - side: - body part: - id:" and other nonsense for each unit, which only clogs the save file with unnecessary information?! Explain to me why the game all this to remember every time you load the game not in combat? Why does the game remember everything that happened in 135 previous battles in every battle?

Can do a couple of tables with numbers, where successfully used weapons, together with the counter of the kills, summed up and displayed in this form in the diaries.

Roughly so:

Code: [Select]
        diary:
          killList:
            - STR_FLOATER_SOLDIER: 4
            - STR_GILLMAN_NAVIGATOR: 2
            - STR_SECTOID_COMMANDER: 1
          killWeapon:
            - STR_GRENADE: 3
            - STR_PROXIMITY_GRENADE: 1
            - STR_SHOTGUN: 3

This will reduce the save file by more than half.

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2018, 12:42:14 am »
We do not do what is really needed.

I see, you somehow decided on what is needed. That is fine. Now please prove that the save game file size is the root cause of your problem. So far there is nothing that proves that.

EDIT: the file size might be something that triggers the problem on your side. But given that we can't reproduce it, the file size is certainly not the root cause.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 12:47:52 am by Stoddard »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2018, 12:59:17 am »
Why are we even discussing this?

He said it runs faster on his PC already... problem solved. Or am I missing something?

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2018, 01:20:23 am »
Why are we even discussing this?

He said it runs faster on his PC already... problem solved. Or am I missing something?

Yes, right. But I'm concerned about the amount of unnecessary information in the save file. And, the rapid growth of the file size because of statistics.

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2018, 02:02:03 am »
Yeah, whatever. If perfomance is acceptable now, we're done here.

If and when it becomes unacceptable, we'll deal with that.

Case closed.

EDIT: yeah, I forgot

... bangs the gavel.

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2022, 10:23:35 am »
Is it possible to access soldier's statistics inside loadout screen?
Looks like no.
I think that the only time you really need access soldier's statistics is when you decide how to equip that soldier.
Very strange that nobody requested that (and I searched for it). So may be there is one hidden shortcut key?

Offline yergnoor

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2022, 02:06:08 pm »
Click on the emblem of the rank to the left of the name of the soldier. As far as I remember, this is how soldier parameters were opened back in the original UFO game.

I'll add:
But usually the parameters of the soldiers shown in the inventory are enough. Of course, if this is enabled in the settings. Strength, marksmanship and reaction (plus psi-parameters, when they open) - the main thing you need to decide what to equip a soldier.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 02:16:51 pm by yergnoor »

Online psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2022, 02:25:17 pm »
Click on the emblem of the rank to the left of the name of the soldier. As far as I remember, this is how soldier parameters were opened back in the original UFO game.

I'll add:
But usually the parameters of the soldiers shown in the inventory are enough. Of course, if this is enabled in the settings. Strength, marksmanship and reaction (plus psi-parameters, when they open) - the main thing you need to decide what to equip a soldier.

Throwing accuracy could also be a relevant factor if your playstyle includes using a lot of grenades. Unfortunately, throwing accuracy is not listed on that screen.

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2022, 03:07:34 pm »
Throwing accuracy could also be a relevant factor if your playstyle includes using a lot of grenades. Unfortunately, throwing accuracy is not listed on that screen.
On OXC it is not possible to show that stat, on OXCE it is possible via a mod.

See https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,7515.msg118452.html#msg118452 for the description.

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2022, 10:12:11 am »
PARAMETERS and not STATISTICS. This thread is about "what is soldier's favorite weapon" or "what enemy types he successfully captured alive" and so on. That thing that makes save file 10 times bigger.
Right now this info is available only in Base --> Soldiers --> Files (or how modder decided). And not during loadout.

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2022, 11:10:38 am »
So, nobody can neither confirm or disprove the fact that soldier's statistics can be accessed only in Base --> Soldiers screen?
Am I the only one who actually want to utilize info in soldier's statistics in a game?

There is an option in game settings to enable advanced controls. Apart from other things, it adds new "dropdown" button in soldiers loadout screen where you can change soldier's armor or it's avatar. I think that would be a perfect spot to put soldier's statistics button if you don't want to change existing interface.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2022, 11:30:49 am »
So, nobody can neither confirm or disprove the fact that soldier's statistics can be accessed only in Base --> Soldiers screen?

Yes, I can confirm the fact that soldier's diary can be accessed only in Base --> Soldiers screen.

PS: to clarify the official terminology:
1. what you call soldier's statistics is actually called soldier's diary
2. what you call soldier's parameters is actually called soldier's info (also soldier's stats or soldier's statistics)
3. what you call loadout screen is actually called inventory screen

For next time, I'd recommend adding screenshots to prevent terminology confusion.

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2022, 07:51:49 pm »
Yes, I can confirm the fact that soldier's diary can be accessed only in Base --> Soldiers screen.
Thanks. Now can you please tell why it is so? What went wrong in my life that I am the only one that think that soldier's diary should be accessed in inventory screen, otherwise it is useless?

PS: to clarify the official terminology:
1. what you call soldier's statistics is actually called soldier's diary
2. what you call soldier's parameters is actually called soldier's info (also soldier's stats or soldier's statistics)
Oh well, but I just used the terminology already present in this thread "Statistics soldiers"...