aliens

Author Topic: [DONE][Suggestion] Underwater throwing range and separate damage  (Read 3195 times)

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
Features that would enhance the realism of underwater operations.

Most important: Throwing range limit
An item parameter that defines the maximum throw distance when under water. Also, a parameter to define throw distance regardless of strength.

Use: I was thinking of how underwater grenades might realistically work. My conclusion is some form of hand held mini torpedo, kind of like a Ketchum Grenade (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketchum_Grenade) with an added small propulsion system. These would have a throw distance that is not related to the strength of the user.
And anything that is not designed to be thrown under water should have a throw range limit of two tiles.

Might be useful: Seperate damage parameters in water / out of water
Right now you can circumvent that problem by having seperate ammo types and restrict them to each enviroment. With that feature you can have multi environment ammo that changes behavior. I'm thinking of bullets that work fine out of the water but loose damage over range when under water. Can also be useful for weapons were different clips don't make sense like lasers and sonic weapons.

Maybe too much trouble: seperate under water weight
Because under water weight behaves differently. Also, weight limits on swimming armors that are independent of user strength. If I float or not has nothing to do with my strength.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 08:56:14 am by Meridian »

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
Re: Useful features for TFTD
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 07:09:16 pm »
My humble opinion:
Most important: Throwing range limit
An item parameter that defines the maximum throw distance when under water. Also, a parameter to define throw distance regardless of strength.
Can be useful, but ruins alien ai mechanics (group of two aquanauts - and here's your sonic pulser)
Might be useful: Seperate damage parameters in water / out of water
Agree.
Maybe too much trouble: seperate under water weight
You can do this like in piratez - by automagically change of armors to submersible version with less weight.(negative weight)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 08:10:55 pm »
Yeah, all good ideas. But also many of these effects can already be replicated using existing features (if not comfortably).

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 10:08:28 pm »
My humble opinion: Can be useful, but ruins alien ai mechanics

Don't you know that sonic pulsers have an integrated under water propulsion system that they use to continue travelling on any trajectory you throw them?

(You exclude sonic pulsers from the throw limitation)

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 01:33:44 pm »
Don't you know that sonic pulsers have an integrated under water propulsion system that they use to continue travelling on any trajectory you throw them?

(You exclude sonic pulsers from the throw limitation)
Ahh, yes, how can i forget... ;)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Useful features for TFTD
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 08:55:38 am »
Throwing range limits implemented here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,8273.msg132698.html#msg132698

Separate damage parameters in water / out of water are easily doable via scripts.

Closing as done.