Author Topic: Cydonia or Bust! Kiri's question thread. Game complete!  (Read 85503 times)

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Getting trashed lol. New question thread
« Reply #255 on: August 24, 2017, 08:17:40 pm »
Do you think it's a good idea to bring a cyberdisc with me to cydonia to spot star gods and mercenaries?

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 24, 2017, 08:35:16 pm »
Hovertank with aoe-weapon does better.
The disk will most likely die in one gauss-/plasmashot

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 24, 2017, 10:42:38 pm »
I can confirm that 12 sabres equipped with 1 lascannon, 1 l shield gen and 2 meteor missile launchers cannot bring down a silver towers. They can't even get through the shields.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 24, 2017, 10:58:02 pm »
As intended.  By the way, as soon as you leave the interception window such that geoscape time starts up again, the shields regen rather quickly, even if you took them down previously.  Tesla cannons are good at reducing their shields to nothing, if you have some backup weaponry ready to fire as soon as they're down.  Try Sabre with 2x Tesla, 2x Thruster for the gals you send in range first, then maybe 2x Tesla, 2x Hammermite for the other 2-3 Sabres in combat.

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 24, 2017, 11:55:46 pm »
If I ever try to take one down again I will

So now I'm ready for the final mission. My setup is 36 people maxed in everything except melee and throwing. 2 have blaster bomb launchers, half of the rest have 37mm rifles, the other half have heavy plasmas. The 37mm rifle users also carry an advanced medpack and a cake, the plasma users also carry cake, advanced medpacks and a lot of flares. Does anyone have anything else to suggest that I bring before I start?

I have no idea what I'm going to see on Cydonia. I'm assuming the setup will be just like UFO defense except with piratez enemies instead of ufo defense enemies. The plan was to fire a lot of blaster bombs out of the craft at the very beginning and level the landscape a bit, killing a lot of the enemies and removing cover. After I'm done carpet bombing I will throw a lot of flares out to try and light the place up. I'll use 37mm for star god, cyberdisk, academy, traders and church enemies, and use the heavy plasmas to kill other HWP, mercenaries, traders and academy. This way the pierce resistant HWP and mercenaries go down to plasma fire, and the plasma resistant church, star gods and cyberdisks drop to the 37mm fire. I considered swapping the 37mm for the gauss sniper but the extra TU cost is just too prohibitive

I guess my main concern here is star gods since if the conqueror is anything like the avenger I won't have slidey doors to work with and we could end up in a situation where we're being hit with ghost beams from enemies who we can't see, or if the exit ramp is open to the enemy we could end up taking a lot of blaster bomb fire

For the base assault section I have 2 main concerns. One is blaster bombs which could potentially come from anywhere in the maze-like building with so many corners, and the other is that if I camp too much I might actually kill everyone and end the mission without killing the solar governor which would feel like a massive let down to me, I need to end this section by personally destroying the solar governor to feel satisfied!

Any advice for me in this final hour? I'll launch in about 30 minutes!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Cydonia or Bust! Kiri's question thread. About to start final mission!
« Reply #260 on: August 25, 2017, 12:00:51 am »
Kaneko no Nikki? (Kaneko's Diary.)

So exciting! XD

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
  • No range like point blank range.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 25, 2017, 12:09:54 am »
First stage is dozens of mercenaries with tanks, second - dozens of star gods with sectopods. That's pretty much it, if you have all 36 gals in annihilator armor, you'll win easily. Oh yeah, bring more ammo than you need, and have it in inventories, or you'll be like me and enter second stage with some of the gals out-of-ammo.

You will have 13 slidey doors to work with, don't worry, you silly camper. Or even more, conqueror is a big ship.

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 25, 2017, 12:26:15 am »
Haha, ok I'll update watashi no nikki when the massacre is over!

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 25, 2017, 12:47:04 am »
I'm pretty sure that you can't win by killing every enemy and avoiding the Governor.  But you can win by avoiding everyone and blowing the Governor to *Earth.

*Worst place to be

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 25, 2017, 01:40:02 am »
There's no governor in this base! We've explored the whole place including a room that looks like his chambers and it's empty. We'll kill the enemies (even tho I lost a lot of people running past them) but I don't know what will happen, maybe I was supposed to kill every enemy?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #265 on: August 25, 2017, 01:52:28 am »
hmm.. just checked the final mission in Poet's campaign.  He ended it by killing everyone on the level, as well.

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 25, 2017, 02:22:54 am »
Yeah the brain was removed. It's a shame really, I prefer progressing towards an objective over hunting down every last enemy, we fought so long to get to this base and we didn't even get to kill the enemy leader in-game :/

Well anyway after I realised we had to kill everything we finished up smearing the enemy across their base. After many hundreds of years, earth is finally free!

For those reading this thread who were using it for information here's how the final missions went on level 5 (jack sparrow) difficulty:

1) The landing - We landed right next to the elevator pyramid. The map had only mercenaries and it seems they don't see so well in the dark so we just walked into the elevator building with no effort to stop us, had to kill a couple of enemies around the building but it was pretty bloodless

2) The base - So we kept getting a message saying the solar governor is making us lose morale, but we were bravery maxed and killed a lot so we didnt notice it even tho so many of us died. The solar governors chambers are empty. The alien base is pretty tiny, 1 main floor consisting of about 20 square rooms in a 4x5 grid. There are elevators up into mostly empty rooms. There were about 10 sectopods and 20 star gods of varying ranks. We killed 5-6 coordinators in total and it seems they can successfully mind control a 100 bravery, 50 voodoo power, 40 voodoo skill, annihilator armour soldier tho only rarely, and just standing your soldiers close to each other makes them miss their shots at each other. There was only 1 star god guardian with a blaster bomb launcher. There were about 5 novices, 5 operatives, 5 coordinators and 5 guardians down there. In the end the only thing that could do real damage was the sectopods so we just formed a line and swept the map, ignoring the star god ghost beams and shooting any visible sectopods or guardians before advancing. We didn't sweep the rooms for invisible star gods, we just advanced to the next doorways and if we got shot with a ghost beam from behind I sent some of the people in the back to deal with the nuisance. With so much magical cake we could easily heal the small damage we took from beams. I suggest when you play this you form up your group and then just sweep the map. Heavy plasmas seemed to perform better at killing sectopods than 37mm rifles, perhaps due to their anti armor properties, and although the 37mm rifle was an effective weapon against star gods the heavy plasmas killed them just as easily so I might as well have gone all heavy plasmas

Anyway good luck if you plan to do this. It's really quite easy and I could've done it with a lot less preparation really. Even harbinger armor would be fine altho it will result in you losing some people to sectopod reaction fire, there just isn't enough sectopods to stop a group of 36 harbinger and heavy plasma soldier if you focus fire on each sectopod one by one as you advance so that you only take reaction fire from it once before it gets killed. The sectopods had only a 33% or so chance of killing us in 1 hit anyway, and went down in around 20-30 heavy plasma shots which with auto-fire means you only need to focus fire with 4-5 soldiers to kill one, and you have 36 so it's really easy to nuke them on your turn!

Still kinda bummed out I didn't get to kill the solar governor, I brought a black power bomb specifically for him which I have had since the beginning of the game, perhaps I'll finish my UFO defense superhuman game someday (I made it to the psi grind phase)

Thank everyone so much for the help, couldn't have made it without all your support!

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Cydonia or Bust! Kiri's question thread. Game complete!
« Reply #267 on: August 25, 2017, 02:47:06 am »
Harbinger is not allowed on Cydonia :3
Spacesuit
Loader
Annihilator
Ghost
Bio Suit (+ new upgrade)
Superhero

are the allowed outfits only.

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
  • No range like point blank range.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 25, 2017, 02:51:40 am »
Harbinger is allowed on Cydonia. Not only it's stated so (look up harbinger (EVA) in bootypedia, it's spaceworthy), I used the harbingers there myself.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 25, 2017, 03:07:56 am »
Looks like bootypedia lied to me.