aliens

Author Topic: [Suggestion] Hands exhaustion/boredom mechanics  (Read 4468 times)

Offline tylor

• Captain
    • View Profile
[Suggestion] Hands exhaustion/boredom mechanics
« on: July 25, 2017, 05:42:32 pm »
I have seen related discussion on discord. Here is my idea of mechanics that encourages using units not too often and not too rare.

Units gain new dynamic stat - Thirst (meaning blood thirst or battle thirst).

It changes in the range from 0 to 9 and is shown in hands tables such as "select crew" or "hands" on the far right.

It ticks up by 1 per week. If unit goes to combat, it ticks down by 1. Also, if unit has above 5 Thirst in battle and does some exp-granting activity, it ticks down by one and this exp gain is tripled. So, if Hand goes to combat once per month and actually is doing something there, she will not lose stats (and will have nice exp bonuses)

If Thirst is already 9 and has to tick up, it drains stats, because soldier is out of practice. Something like -10 to 3 different stats at random.

If Thirst is 0 and unit goes to combat, it stays 0, but unit has significant temporary stat penalties during this combat - such as -20 to each stat.

Offline Bacon_Hero

• Captain
  • Why can't I quit you X-Com UFO D
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Hands exhaustion/boredom mechanics
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 06:49:45 pm »
There's already a lot to juggle in this game to play it optimally. Especially as the game gets later. Another mechanic to micromanage will just compound the amount of time doing bureaucratic work IMHO

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 08:39:32 pm »
F*ck losing stats, really.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 09:43:14 pm »
Also an non-dropship base that only has fighters in them will likely have 2x dojo or 1x luxury spa in them to constantly train stats.
The mechanic will be nullified that way.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 10:47:10 pm »
Just got to chime in here... I'm completely NOT a fan of this idea.  This will only lead to player exhaustion/boredom.

Offline sinisteragent

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 10:57:40 pm »
Just got to chime in here... I'm completely NOT a fan of this idea.  This will only lead to player exhaustion/boredom.

nthed. I'm exhausted and bored just reading about it. Troop deployment/rotation is already very micro heavy, there's really nothing to gain from this. You could approximate an effect like it by simply not building (or assigning hands to) training buildings. That way only those who got their swords wet would advance anyway.

Offline SteamXCOM

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 12:45:29 am »
If you want to go into troop exhaustion or whatever, have it hands off and they auto rotate out on leave or something for a couple of weeks  every two months or something like that UNLESS you intervene and cancel leave for the soldier involved.

If they rotate in and out of leave they are off the rolls for that period of time and come back and continue as usual
Leave canceled, presumably they got a speech by you to the effect on serving God and Country whatever  and the promise of THREE weeks leave next rotation and until then next missions  they go on;  a "dice roll" for their attitude:

1,  + 20% stat increase (they bought your speech)
2, + 10% stat increase (yes, they are gung ho)
3,4 no change
4 - 20%  decrease across all stats (yes they needed that  break)
5  -30%  decrease across all stats (exhaustion costs)
6  -40%  decrease across all stats (bad attitude alert; better let them handle the med kit and nothing else)

Next leave rotation they go for three weeks (no canceling their leave, you have to have SOME integrity to maintain leadership)

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 05:17:40 am »
I do not now you, but normally I have enough "rotation" with all the gals injured, not counting the dead ones... Frequently I just don´t have enough gals to do missions. I understand that for some it sounds interesting, but for my taste, it is just too much...

Or maybe I´m just a wimp player xD.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 02:00:51 pm »
A 'fatigue' and 'mood' system does not belong into this mod.
The pay-off isn't worth it. Early-on you're rotating alot anyway due to alot of injuries caused by your bad equipment and average starting-stats.

If I want to play "Long War" or "Long War 2" I stick with the correct game to it that is designed 'around' this feature.
In Piratez case, the amount of work needed to get such a system working in a balanced way isn't something the game need, or not in the next update.

Also the mood-system lacks the case of "injured" and "badly injured" cases. In RL a soldier that got severe wounded usually never ever returns to active duty again.
Does the gal with 30+ sickbay days will suffer stat-penalties from that? Afterall she can't fight a whole month. I suggest further research in that topic.

Edit:
Also pirates don't go onto vacations. They die by the sword and serve the captain forever.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 04:32:02 pm by Ethereal_Medic »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 04:16:54 pm »
I decided there won't be exhaustion mechanics, as it can be rendered useless with sheer army size, and only would double the number of gals you have to rotate around. I'd rather add negative score for taking too many turns, it serves the same purpose and doesn't lead to micro hell a'la Darkest Dungeon.

Locking this topic.