aliens

Author Topic: Can we get some weapon codes from XCE+ to Nightly?  (Read 3569 times)

Offline drages

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Can we get some weapon codes from XCE+ to Nightly?
« on: June 28, 2017, 12:50:39 am »
Hey!

There is some codes which will be very important and a "must" for tactical gameplay i saw at XCE.

powerRangeReduction: 0.0 #how much power a bullet loses per tile. - Weapon types with range involved.
powerRangeThreshold: 0.0 #how far in tiles bullet need fly to start appling `powerRangeReduction`.

ArmorEffectiveness: 0.5   #how effective armor is against this damage. -Real Armor penetrating
ToArmor: 0.25     #how much damage is done to armor. Default `0.0` for stun, smoke, fire, none, `0.25` for rest. -Armor destroying weapons..
ToArmorPre: 0.0   #how much damage is done to armor before applying armor protection. Default `0.0`.

Is there a chance that we can get those to nightlies? thx!

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: Can we get some weapon codes from XCE+ to Nightly?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 01:00:53 am »
Just curious, why not just use OXCE/OXCE+ for these features if you want them? I know the downsides are slower uptake of fixes from the nightly and bugs associated with new feature development, but both of these are often quickly resolved by Yankes and Meridian.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 01:01:16 am »
Is there a chance that we can get those to nightlies? thx!

I can't answer that question...

...but allow me to ask some more:
a/ what would be the purpose of OXCE/OXCE+ if everything was in nightly?
b/ why not just upgrade to OXCE/OXCE+?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 02:16:48 am »
I can't answer that question...

...but allow me to ask some more:
a/ what would be the purpose of OXCE/OXCE+ if everything was in nightly?
b/ why not just upgrade to OXCE/OXCE+?
+1

Offline drages

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 09:06:52 am »
Heh. I expected this question.

I can counter this with a question too, as if we got xce+ which got everything, why do we have xce, nightlies, and even 1.0? Just let all the great devs work on xce+ and make the biggest and only one.

I will use xce+, there is no problem but I checked the new additions and I figure out that I will use only %3 of it and those are a tactical game needs in its core. So If I had them at the core build, I could live with it with a more simple way.

But my main reason is, those codes are very important and tactical with fitting to the vanilla play. So it would be useful to have them at more simple and core build.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 09:48:24 am »
I can counter this with a question too, as if we got xce+ which got everything, why do we have xce, nightlies, and even 1.0? Just let all the great devs work on xce+ and make the biggest and only one.

There's a very easy answer to that.

1/ The goal of OpenXcom project is to re-create vanilla as faithfully as possible. That's btw. also a reason why it didn't fail miserably... a clear goal. Both OXCE and OXCE+ have (visual) features, which were not in the original game (e.g. 4 weapons on interceptors instead of 2). If that's a good feature or a bad feature is irrelevant... it's a difference, which vanilla devs don't want in their game. There are also some (not many) game mechanic changes, which are different than vanilla and not configurable/optional... you just can't make everything configurable.

2/ There's TONS of new features in OXCE/OXCE+ (e.g. OXCE+ is 1200 commits ahead of vanilla). If everything was merged to vanilla, vanilla devs would have to maintain that additional code too... which they are very hesitant to do (for obvious reasons).

PS: what may happen someday is a merge of OXCE and OXCE+ ... but it's a bit early to talk about that
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 09:51:11 am by Meridian »

Offline drages

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 10:17:10 am »

PS: what may happen someday is a merge of OXCE and OXCE+ ... but it's a bit early to talk about that

Everyone got his answers and everybody is right. There is only different point of views.

Merging xce and xce+ is a very good idea. Yankes and you are dedicated and talented artists who got nearly same goals about giving more options to this game. I can clearly see that. With you, this game became one of best tactical and strategical game ever done.

So for this reason, as a new moder who wants to create something good with all options under my hand, I don't see a reason to have xce and xce+ plus separately. Xce should be a project done by all the coders who knows what they do, how to test it and how to make it bug free.

You are inside this for years and probably get use to it how to work like this as a developer and moder same time. But it's really mass for new comers with no reason.

If you ask me, there should be only nightly and xce+. Nightly for default openxcom devs and moders with key features which xce got time to time, and Xce+ should have all the everything and more for other people.

Simple solutions are always better.

Offline SteamXCOM

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 07:24:15 pm »
Both OXCE and OXCE+ have (visual) features, which were not in the original game (e.g. 4 weapons on interceptors instead of 2).

One thing about such changes is that I'm finding while redesigning the LIGHTNING, is that the vanilla game expects a certain dynamic such as a Skyranger with its expected crew (with alien opposition designed around that) and then late game, the Avenger which suddenly unloads its huge human cargo, annihilating with sheer manpower.  Designing a LIGHTNING midgame with more tanks and crew may upset that space between Skyranger to AVENGER; the dance how to get the player to want to build a LIGHTNING  yet not make it too hard on the aliens in the meantime. 

Adding 4 weapons to a craft without a corresponding change in the other side must have some consequences of making things less challenging for the player, so I can see why that might not be offered for regular OXC.  Although again, why not, up grade the UFO's in that same mod.   

On the other hand the fact that 4 weapons can be added  only in OXCE series gives another feature as to why players may eventually want migrate in that direction.

If you ask me, there should be only nightly and xce+. Nightly for default openxcom devs and moders with key features which xce got time to time, and Xce+ should have all the everything and more for other people. 

Yes confused about  oxce and oxce+, I'll one  day go over the FAQ again, but for now, happily defending against the invading Alien menace  with OXC
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 07:27:02 pm by SteamXCOM »