Author Topic: Just Finished it  (Read 5351 times)

Offline MFive

• Captain
  • Lazy Sectoid
    • View Profile
Just Finished it
« on: June 20, 2017, 10:31:27 am »
Of all the games I have played, X-Com Alien Unknown (1994) is and always will be my favorite game, so I can never thank you or all the many people who helped make Open X-Com a reality, and those who contributed to this mod. Never can I say enough kind words for you all. Solarius Scorch, I must say, I truly love this mod you have crafted, it feels so much like the original game it was startling when I first began.

Let me know if you have any question, I will do my best to answer them.

*Results*
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

*Thoughts*
 - First, I had almost 200 million in liquid cash laying around, each month I was being given almost 80 million – This is a problem for balance IMO. Money was never of any concern, not once I got gauss
   cannons and workshops – they can crank money, and rail cannons are even better.
 - I only ever destroyed Black Lotus, Red Dawn, and Dagon cults never got anywhere with the others.
 - Access to light sources is super important, and I used Magnums for over two years because I needed to carry flashlights
 - You should be able to higher soldiers after promotion III
 - Make it harder to get to Cydonia, rail guns make it too easy
 - The first month into the Invasion (1999) I encounter Ethereals and Mutons, is this intended?
 - Juggernaut Armor is either too powerful, or the alien weapons are too weak, but I never lost a single agent in one such suit (18 + 2 tanks in Avenger)
   A plasma rifle, for example, can do a maximum of 96 dmg against such armor (80*1.5) *.8 = 96

*Questions*
 - Where was the flying suit? When I went to Cydonia, I had no research left
 - What happened to Fusion weapons? I did the research, but nothing after that

*Bugs*
 - Tormentor does not deposit two pilots in missions, only one (interceptor was shown on tacticalscape)
 - When I got to the second half of the Cydonia mission, one of my dudes spawned inside of a dividing wall, could not move. It never stopped his movement, making me have to quit Open X-Com, and load
    nearest save.

*Edit for proofing*
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 02:48:24 am by MFive »

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Just Finished it
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 12:33:23 pm »
Flying suit?   Power source and something else you're missing...  can't remember what item you need.

Fusion balls?  You need to survive the enemy using those and research that whole branch.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 06:44:03 pm »
Wow... Only two failed missions? Fishy! :D
J/k, it's a hard mod.

Offline Dr.Crowley

• Colonel
  • Saving data in the name of the Emperor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 09:26:20 pm »
- The first month into the Invasion (1999) I encounter Ethereals and Mutons, is this intended?
Haha, you had the same bad luck as me.

Offline MFive

• Captain
  • Lazy Sectoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 04:09:06 am »
Flying suit? Power source and something else you're missing...  can't remember what item you need.

Fusion balls?  You need to survive the enemy using those and research that whole branch.

It was Alien Navigation and Power Suit in the original, I have not looked in the ruleset for the X-Com Files.

They will use fusion weapons? huh, never found those.

Wow... Only two failed missions? Fishy! :D
J/k, it's a hard mod.

It was on easiest; i hate those bug swarms ... never found a way to kill them (didn't look at their UFOpedia entry either)

Haha, you had the same bad luck as me.

I found the mutons the day before I finished my gauss research, I was glad that I didn't have to use Magnums anymore.

Offline Dr.Crowley

• Colonel
  • Saving data in the name of the Emperor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 09:50:17 pm »
I found the mutons the day before I finished my gauss research, I was glad that I didn't have to use Magnums anymore.
You were lucky because I met Ethereals just after getting Alloy Armor and shields. I guess it's obvious that this mission was a real disaster. Anyway, that was a long ago - I guess that was one of the 0.5.x versions.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 07:27:08 am »
Juggernaut suits are horribly weak to fire though, it absolutely wrecks them...but fire wrecks everything honestly.

I do think the way fire damage is coded that its a little weird to make something balanced, either something is 100% fire immune, or it gets shit on due to the turn based damage.

Offline MFive

• Captain
  • Lazy Sectoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 08:45:12 am »
Juggernaut suits are horribly weak to fire though, it absolutely wrecks them...but fire wrecks everything honestly.

I do think the way fire damage is coded that its a little weird to make something balanced, either something is 100% fire immune, or it gets shit on due to the turn based damage.

That's odd; I did notice that fire did do a good amount of damage on Cydonia, but I was able to survive/heal that

You were lucky because I met Ethereals just after getting Alloy Armor and shields. I guess it's obvious that this mission was a real disaster. Anyway, that was a long ago - I guess that was one of the 0.5.x versions.

Man, that's brutal ... at the time, I had just over 100 scientists, with three more bases being built, so I was making good progress through the tech tree