Author Topic: Item under transfer page and management of alien containment  (Read 5217 times)

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
I have bad memory and I do not play Xcom everyday. I always forget there are items under transferring between bases. There are also items/staffs being purchased/employed (but not yet delivered/arrive).

As a result, I  purchase/ employ excess items/staffs.

So, I suggest to add a page in the game showing the item/staff under transfer between bases. Besides, newly purchased item and staff employed but not yet deliver can also be shown in this page.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:15:33 am by hsbckb »

Volutar

Re: Item under transfer page
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 08:37:46 am »
AFAIR there is already "Transfers" button in Base Information screen.
Maybe it was placed too deep and not so many people know that :) still it does present.

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 08:42:57 am »
Too bad for me and I didn't notice it for many years.

Yes, it is placed too deep.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 09:24:45 am »
fun fact about transfers: if you transfer a low-ranking alien to another base, it is added to the destination base's personnel in terms of living quarter space calculation. only as long as it's in transfer, though - as soon as it arrives, it is pushed into the alien containment where it belongs. true story.

Volutar

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 09:33:25 am »
Little offtopic - what is obviously have left for some reason - management of alien containment. How can I look what aliens are in there? How can I clear it from some aliens (kill/set free)?

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 10:04:44 am »
(maybe rename the thread? then it's on-topic again!  8) )

live aliens are listed in base inventory (accessible from base information screen) or when initiating transfer. there's no way to kill them, though... I guess the developers wanted to avoid this ethically difficult issue... they disappear after researching them (every live alien creates a research topic entry, even if it's the 538th sectoid soldier) - or do they turn into a corpse after research? I'm not sure. so much for ethics, researching them to death. probing, probably.  :o

only way to get rid of them quickly is to transfer them to another base (transfer can only be initiated to a base with alien containment), then dismantle the containment before transfer is completed. I think that did work. you got the "alien dies as there is no alien containment facility" screen, and a lot of fresh alien corpses to sell ;)

Volutar

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 10:13:11 am »
I recall alien containment "full" while no aliens in development, so any alien left live after battle become dead with proper popup window over debriefing screen. So I have kind of another experience.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
Re: Item under transfer page and management of alien containment
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 10:27:23 am »
really? weird. I distinctly remember researching live aliens again and again and again... and I think I never encountered a situation where the containment was "full", I always wondered how they fit those 20+ aliens in there. I know apocalypse handled that differently, but I can't remember how exactly.

the question is, how do we want to do it? do we want limited space in the containment?

if yes, we definitely need some kind of alien containment inventory management, including killing "unwanted aliens" (boy, does that sound terrible only to my german-we-have-a-really-bad-history-and-think-too-much-about-it-sometimes ears or is it the same with you?) when you bring home a high-ranking alien and don't really have space for it.

I'd also love to see the captured aliens in a base defense mission! maybe the attackers could even free them somehow, so if you're in a base defense mission and things are going so-so you would sometimes have to consider throwing a high explosive into the containment facility to prevent the live captured aliens from escaping and overwhelming you.

Volutar

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 10:38:09 am »
Brilliant idea, make "base defence" mission altered with captured aliens setting free as one of a goals, so they become controlled and even fighting against you (by destroying door to this facility).

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 12:53:13 pm »
+1 for this new mission type and does it have to be a new goal of base defence, the could get them selves out if they really wanted.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 01:46:35 pm by luke83 »