Author Topic: MaxDepth  (Read 3319 times)

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
MaxDepth
« on: November 17, 2016, 05:00:47 pm »
Each craft has a string "Maxdepth:" in original rules. What do this string do? i have tried to change this walue to 0,1,2... but nothing changes in interceptor behavior.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: MaxDepth
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 05:50:08 pm »
I have very vague memories of USOs flying so deep that I couldn't engage them in combat, I had to wait for them to reach shallower waters. In the end-game, the ultimate craft would be designed especially to reach this depth, where the greatest horror sleeps.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 06:11:18 pm »
Yes, so must it be. But when my barracuda with maxdepth 0 (set manually) intercepted uso on the normal, deep and shallow depth, i see no difference.

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 08:10:20 pm »
I did some research and the funniest thing about it is that the Triton can go deeper than the Barracuda can.  Although they have the same maxDepth setting for interception, when you apply real world data to it, the Triton can reach deeper.  The ocean floor is, on average, about 13,000ft down, but the Barracuda's interception depth seems to stop around 9000ft, lol.  Fanon semantics joke that, while the frame is strong enough to reach super sonic speeds UNDERWATER, it's possible the engine design won't function deeper than 9000ft... or something silly like that.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 08:18:46 pm »
Bah, flying submarines are allready enough to say "what a nonsense!!!."Just game conventionalities, take easy and relax. :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 09:07:06 pm »
Bah, flying submarines are allready enough to say "what a nonsense!!!."Just game conventionalities, take easy and relax. :)

But it's more fun to overanalyse! :D

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 09:49:36 pm »
Yeah, i'm just too lazy to write long article in english, from the phone and in midnight.  ;)
Meanwhile, i tested it on different buildsvand now pretty sure, that it is a bug of openxcom master code. Not oxce, not mods. Or, as it often happens, i just understand meaning of this parameter wrong.
One more thing. Someone can remember, in original tftd landed USO got depth status "touched down"? Or saved their depth?