Author Topic: How does fire work?  (Read 3019 times)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
How does fire work?
« on: November 05, 2016, 12:02:37 am »
So if I set up an incendiary bomb that does 200 damage but then set it with BlastRadius: 2 am I really just defeating the purpose of it?

I understand the "caught on fire" damage is universal (and low) but what about Initial Hit damage?

Is it going to cause 200 damage to people and kill them, or does that just set up the potential area effected and liklihood of setting things on fire (via flammability)?

Main idea is a plasma bomb that causes fire damage but it causes a hell of alot of it, but its confined to a limited area. Supposed to set fires in all the tiles right there as well as kill things immediately.

Somewhat Unrelated:
Is explosive/stun/fire damage the only damage types which will cause an explosion?

If I set an HWP weapon to cause Armor Piercing damage but give it Blast Radius: 1 is it going to force it to blow up rather than just cause a direct hit normally?

... idea is its a craft gas cannon mounted on an sws or displacer so its got to cause radius damage to potentially break alien sub hull (those funky angled tiles that arent true north walls). But really its an armor peircing weapon (110 damage lets say) and causes armor piercing damage against the critters it hits (rather than explosive which a bunch of stuff has resistance to).

Idea being its got an explosive warhead but its a shaped charge and its small, it will mess you up if you're close to it.

And additionally:
Does blastRadius: 0 stop an explosion or does it confine it only to the tile it hit in (ie, doesnt hit adjacent tiles)

EDIT:
To avoid double posting ill also ask this here too:

I wanna remove the Crafts from the starting base, so you have the sub pens/hangars but you dont have any ships yet . . . so do I just write that as:

- delete: crafts

under the starting base section?

(no this doesnt make the game all that much harder, but it may cost you the first or second ufo detection while you wait 4-5 days for your ships to come in. The player gets enough extra money to compensate)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 12:12:53 am by RSSwizard »

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
Re: How does fire work?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 01:51:24 am »
Radius: 0 stops any explosion from going beyond the contact square.

The damage types that use hitAnimation 0 are Fire, Smoke, Stun, and Explosive.  I have no idea if you can set radius for non-explosive weapons, you'd have to play with it and see what happens.

Fire's initial spread is based upon the number, so 110 (the Incendiary Rocket) gives you a 9x9 coverage area.  Initial hit from a rocket (or any fire-type explosive) is only 10dmg plus whatever burn damage occurs over time.  The Snakeman and Silacoid are both immune to fire, so they cannot be ignited by it AND do not take direct hit damage from weapons using the incendiary damage type.

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: How does fire work?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 02:21:47 am »
 The damage listing for fire is (explosion radius*10).

Under default rules and no resists, fire does 5-10 damage and sets the target on fire or nothing at all.  Targets on fire take 5-10 damage.  Targets that start their turn on a tile on fire take 1-12 points of damage.   damage is per tile for large units - so they can take a nice 20-40 damage per hit which makes the lowly auto-cannon a fantastic anti-cyberdisc weapon during the early game.