Author Topic: Medkits work on aliens only with Alien Bleeding enabled?  (Read 4312 times)

Offline Caleb13

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Medkits work on aliens only with Alien Bleeding enabled?
« on: October 27, 2016, 04:58:40 pm »
Hi all, I've noticed that TFTD medikits can be used on aliens (unconscious or not) only when Alien Bleeding option is enabled. It this the intended behavior? I don't remember how it worked in the original TFTD, but according to UFOpedia, it was always possible in EU:

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Unconscious
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 08:54:19 pm by Caleb13 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Medkits work on aliens only with Alien Bleeding enabled?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 05:15:55 pm »
Hi all, I've noticed that TFTD medikits can be used on aliens (unconscious or not) only when Alien Bleeding option is enabled. It this the intended behavior?

Well, how would you heal them if they didn't bleed? :)

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 07:02:20 pm »
Sometimes a difference is intended "for the better", but coders can miss a use case, so don't hesitate to report it if you see such change as a setback.
Here, when aliens don't bleed, I don't see any practical use for using medkits. On the other hand, if you're standing ON a stunned alien and looking at a hurt friend, you want to target the friend - so it's a good thing that the alien is not considered the target of your action.

Offline Caleb13

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 08:48:54 pm »
Actually, there is a good reason to use medkits on aliens even when the Alien Bleeding option is disabled: to finish off unconscious aliens without need to use explosives (i.e. without destroying valuable equipment on the ground). You revive them with stimulant and then finish them with vibroblades (or whatever). That's very handy during TFTD colony raids, because part 2 can last 20 turns or more. Lobstermen frequently fall unconscious when shot and then randomly wake up in areas you've already checked and cleared. Thus you suddenly have a dangerous enemy behind your back (pincers attack can kill even through Magnetic Ion Armor). But what is even worse, such lone enemies are hard to find, essentially you need to comb the entire colony all over again.

Well, I always play with Alien Bleeding enabled anyway, I just found this medkit behavior counter-intuitive.  :-\
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 09:00:56 pm by Caleb13 »