Author Topic: [LP]Hardmode Expansion - Glory or death! (Likely much of both)  (Read 116791 times)

Offline Lion66six

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [LP]Hardmode Expansion - Glory or death! (Likely much of both)
« Reply #180 on: November 13, 2016, 12:53:25 pm »
I have no ability to record/upload to YouTube to verify, unfortunately... 

But with long nights with my toddler not sleeping, I've been playing it off and on...

...  I did managed to do it (3 survivors)...  But I doubt you'd be much comforted by the 18 failures that took on the way...  >.>

Jesus Christ.

So just to confirm, that was 18 mission attempts and they all failed. Then #19 and you won with 3 men left? Thats crazy stuff mate. Good job!

Offline Lion66six

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 13, 2016, 01:05:50 pm »
I'll give it a shot. Won't record it, just for the hell of it - the supposedly "unbeatable" mission got my interest. It's Alien Base 2, right? I messed a bit with loadout, but only used what was already on the Skyranger (dropped some useless rifles in favour of OP shotguns). We'll see how it goes :)

EDIT: What a mission! In short, I failed. Got some turn 1-3 setbacks (Just 3 guys spawning on the second elevator - and thus getting wiped, Kjotleik first; Warboy mis-throwing a grenade and killing 2 guys), then it was a slow, slow grind, killed 23 enemies, it was going OK till like turn 16, when my numbers dwindled below 8 and I couldn't operate two squads to full capacity. The biggest problem was the lack of flares onboard, which meant a lot of cheap shots from the dark (I lost at least 6 people to that).

I cleared about half of the map. Secured extreme corners with my 2 thin 3-men squads, but had no one left to cover the middle (than unfortunate spawn of 3 men separated + warboy killing Niculinux and Riemaia). That wasn't the biggest problem - once I was down to 3, it's only a matter of a single mistake. Meridian, Lion and Max Damage fought well in the NE corner, with HC, shotgun and launcher. They died about turn 20, after Lion mishandled a security tower. Then Max died, but took assailant with him - had a primed HE charge. Meridian launchered another from point blank and was killed last, when trying to run. Lion avenged his death few turns later, when yet another Floater triggered his proxy trap.

About the same time the second group lost SupSuper to a Cyberdisc and was down to Warboy, Ivan and Maltloaf. They fought on for several turns more, before being blastered all at once.

Highlights included Ivan tanking a Cyberdisc salvo and Warboy dodging another from point-blank. But Ivan earlier face-tanked a Reaper attack :) And of course a ton of good work killing aliens, but that's rarely remembered :)

About enemies, yeah, Cyberediscs have a ton of HP and furry friends are reeel fast; but handling both is a matter of a proper formation. Also the aliens all have insane Reactions, never once did my soldiers react, even with half their TUs. But that's just Hardmode lore you need to learn before adjusting tactics. Out of 14, 1 dead from reaper, 1 from cyberdisc, 2 from Warboy, 3 from BLaster, 6 shots from the dark and one from a Floater actually outplaying me.

About weapons, autocannons, that I didn't have, maybe? Tons of raw damage, but I didn't need that kind of firepower. The one HC I had was pretty solid, the shotguns were great and the main weapon I used were grenades - Alien and proxies (no instant grenade bullshit ofc). Rocket launchers were quite useful, especially dispatching furry friends and clearing rooms; the fact that they're too weak to one-shot Cyberdiscs limits their usefulness. Rifles were completely useless, but it is to be expected when fighting in close quarters; I could use powerful SMGs instead. Autocannons would also be great if they had buckshot shells.

Armor is a joke, but at least it doesn't incur much penalties, so I guess it's fine.

Big problem was severe lack of trained personnel. Except for Warboy and Meridian, most of these men shouldn't be sent into a combat zone, much less on such a tough mission. Suprisingly lack of medkits wasn't an issue (only 3 wounded: Warboy, Meridian and Ivan, and only Ivan from enemy fire).

Oh yeah and it was my first time ever playing Hardmode :)

Wow, what a write up. Thanks for taking the time to have a crack and attack the base and see what happens. Shame it wasn't recorded as that would have made for one hell of a video.

Yes it was Base #2. No issues about swapping equipment out. If people want to order some Auto Cannons for the mission and then use them, go for it!

It sounds like you survived longer than my attempt (i think i was about turn 9!). Very interested in the tactics you used, so thanks for the detail on that. Its a shame I didn't have an experienced team for the assault, Operation Thailand Thunder in episode 19 took care of that haha!

Will use more electro flares if I attempt the base again. It seems a bit more key than i had expected. On the plus side, it looks like you enjoyed playing Hardmode :-)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #182 on: November 14, 2016, 09:37:16 am »
Of course, go for it!

OK - Done, need to record it when i have time.
I switched in some Autocannons, produced some more Alloy Rifle Clips.
Current team configuration looks like this:

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #183 on: November 14, 2016, 09:39:21 am »
More TeamLayout, i tried uploading to dropbox and link towards it, but it didn't work, so excuse the spam...

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #184 on: November 14, 2016, 09:41:00 am »
More Layout...

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #185 on: November 14, 2016, 09:44:19 am »
The last one.
As you can see I dropped all normal Large Rockets and only loaded up 10 Elerium Rockets.
The configuration may seem ankward but was the best i could come up with...
I will play it once i have time and also make a video for proof
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 09:49:48 am by hellrazor »

Offline Zyzyfer

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 15, 2016, 02:01:57 am »
I dunno about this particular mod, but in other mods I've played rifles tend to be garbage. Is it viable to drop them altogether for auto cannons/shotguns!?  You'll be fighting in close quarters anyways.
I personally wouldn't bother with pistols/medkits (well maybe just limit it to x1 medikit), in this situation- you ain't got the armour & probably also lack the health since all you got left is a bunch of rookies. Instead use the room for auto cannons/shotguns, HEs. etc.

I'd also would personally take some Heavy Explosives (at least x1 per trooper for those that can carry the extra load), as you can still throw them a fair 10-15 squares (and further in those dark garden areas). Use them it tight spots- personally HEs always seem to get me out of tight spots & I tend to use them even on Base assaults.

Anyways looking forward to this (albeit personally I wouldn't dare assault alien bases until i got at least a semi-pro team)...this should be FUN XDDD
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 02:11:45 am by Zyzyfer »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #187 on: November 15, 2016, 02:29:07 am »
The Rifles basically are a round about weapon in general. Do not forget that they have a damage upgrade and do 40 dam instead of the vanilla base damage. Very good for staying back and sniping, especially in close quarters.

I usually use Incendiary Grenades to block passages I can not somehow protect otherwise, the AI usually avoids the fire.
HE explosives do have more Power indeed, but alien grenades are lighter. I will record probably next weekend, even the Audio will be out of sync ( i only have a core 2 duo for recording   :-( ).

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 20, 2016, 08:19:55 pm »
In general, rifles are a good skirmishing weapon, with decent close up damage but also the ability to reach out and hurt something further. In bases though, the distance over which you might need to reach something is severely limited so shotguns are generally better. You could use the soldiers who are usually snipers with rifles, so their retain their "sniper" role, but indoors sniper with more mobility and close range power with the autoshot.

Some HE is always good to have, it's kind of a FU card to play on the AI for many things. Cyberdisc gonna kill you, why not take him with you instead and kamikaze yourself with a high explosive. If you didn't use instant grenades, you could also throw it and retreat immediately around the corner, allowing your soldier to survive because the wall shields him from the explosion. You do need something to take care of cyberdiscs and it looks like rockets are not particularly good at it, on top of being rather difficult to move.

One thing I'm wondering though, having pretty much caught up on the LP, is why are you trying to assault Alien Base 2, which has floaters, reapers and cyberdiscs, when you could assault Alien Base 1 which only has floaters and reapers? That would get rid of the worst enemy, allow you to grab the tech and progress, then you could eventually go back in Alien Base 2 with more tech to kick their asses. Or did I misunderstand about the first base?

Offline Lion66six

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 20, 2016, 11:00:59 pm »
One thing I'm wondering though, having pretty much caught up on the LP, is why are you trying to assault Alien Base 2, which has floaters, reapers and cyberdiscs, when you could assault Alien Base 1 which only has floaters and reapers? That would get rid of the worst enemy, allow you to grab the tech and progress, then you could eventually go back in Alien Base 2 with more tech to kick their asses. Or did I misunderstand about the first base?

Its a good question, I think I mentioned it once or twice during the LP. I wanted to leave base #1 around as its near my main base and real easy for milking the supply ships, whereas if you see where base #2 is, miles from any of my bases. That was the plan, but having said that if base #1 is easier .....

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 20, 2016, 11:14:06 pm »
Ah! Yes, I remember you saying that. But given that base #2 is significantly harder (cyberdiscs in close quarter are a pain), I think the advantages are outweighed by the risks (If you don't get the tech, you'll eventually get sunk by harder aliens, and it seems like you need the tech to take out this base, so it's a bit of a catch 22: Need the base for tech, need tech for the base.

I'd suggest you just build a farming base real close to base #2 soon (with the money from looting base #1?). It'll be good to have something in Oceania any ways.

Offline Lion66six

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 20, 2016, 11:39:08 pm »
Interesting observation, perhaps there is a difference between the two bases. Hellrazor would know for sure

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #192 on: November 20, 2016, 11:54:14 pm »
Interesting observation, perhaps there is a difference between the two bases. Hellrazor would know for sure

Yes there is one. Base 1 is 100% Floaters, Reapers and some Silacoids.
Base 2 is a mix of Floaters, Sectoids, Reapers and Cyberdiscs.
The choice is obvious right?

Offline Lion66six

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 21, 2016, 01:04:11 am »
So i've been an idiot and been going for the wrong base. Damn.

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 21, 2016, 01:26:56 am »
No .. no ... not an idiot.

An entertaining LetsPlay commander who just needs to sack his intelligence officer ;)

Hope you will continue the LP.

and if you do ... i hereby want to enlist as the new battlefield intelligence rookie :)
If my forum name isn't suitable "silent R" will do (although the forum name gives a nice opportunity for incremental clone names)