aliens

Author Topic: [LP]Hardmode Expansion - Glory or death! (Likely much of both)  (Read 116795 times)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [LP]Hardmode Expansion - Glory or death! (Likely much of both)
« Reply #135 on: October 17, 2016, 06:03:09 pm »
Who cares about soldiers or civies?

What about all the property damage?! Those destroyed buildings are not gonna rebuild themselves... :P

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #136 on: October 17, 2016, 06:11:46 pm »

What about all the property damage?! Those destroyed buildings are not gonna rebuild themselves... :P

I couldn't give a bigger shit about those poor collateral damages here and there :D Right?

Offline Lion66six

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 17, 2016, 06:35:52 pm »
Good point, its not because I'm overly fond of humans but its more the negative scores as a result of me killing them.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 17, 2016, 06:45:08 pm »

New mod idea: you play as the leader of a coalition of farmers, outraged at the X-Com project's blatant disregard for their personal property, building rapport within the agriculture community worldwide until you can storm X-Com HQ with tractors, pitchforks, torches, and old farm dogs.

Offline Zyzyfer

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 18, 2016, 04:50:05 am »
Another disaster :(  The Minister of Defense should get fired over this. XDDD

You should invest in some Heavy Explosives for taking out buildings and cyberdisks. Make sure you pre-prime the HEs also.

I basically use x2 Grenadiers that carry x8 PRE-PRIMED Heavy Explosives each (x16 in total), and can always come back to transporter for more if needed. My scouts (that's every guy except my x1 launcher & x1 sniper), also carry x1 HE (or more if they are strong enough- don't prime those in-case scout getrs killed, otherwise they'll go BOOM!!!).

HEs are way more powerful than human grenades and any alien killed or affected by blast (even if not killed), will cause the throwing soldier also to gain firing accuracy (so good way to also train FA), but that's not the point the point is to clear buildings with them and kill aliens.
If you make a hole in those 10x10 (or whatever they are), buildings and throw the 2nd HE right in the middle of the square it will clear whole building (so with just two HEs one can clear the average building), easy and safe.

I am uploading a Terror Mission I did few weeks ago, I will post it when it is done (will take a few days with my Burkina Faso connection), So you can see how I do Terror mission (from memory I think I didn't loose a single trooper, albeit I might have had a few wounded guys that needed sickbay).

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #140 on: October 18, 2016, 10:09:23 am »
Make sure you pre-prime the HEs also.

Very unsound idea. Once one of the guys dies all the HE's go off...

Offline Lion66six

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 18, 2016, 01:07:27 pm »
Another disaster :(  The Minister of Defense should get fired over this. XDDD

You should invest in some Heavy Explosives for taking out buildings and cyberdisks. Make sure you pre-prime the HEs also.

I basically use x2 Grenadiers that carry x8 PRE-PRIMED Heavy Explosives each (x16 in total), and can always come back to transporter for more if needed. My scouts (that's every guy except my x1 launcher & x1 sniper), also carry x1 HE (or more if they are strong enough- don't prime those in-case scout getrs killed, otherwise they'll go BOOM!!!).

HEs are way more powerful than human grenades and any alien killed or affected by blast (even if not killed), will cause the throwing soldier also to gain firing accuracy (so good way to also train FA), but that's not the point the point is to clear buildings with them and kill aliens.
If you make a hole in those 10x10 (or whatever they are), buildings and throw the 2nd HE right in the middle of the square it will clear whole building (so with just two HEs one can clear the average building), easy and safe.

I am uploading a Terror Mission I did few weeks ago, I will post it when it is done (will take a few days with my Burkina Faso connection), So you can see how I do Terror mission (from memory I think I didn't loose a single trooper, albeit I might have had a few wounded guys that needed sickbay).

Hahah I agree, the Minister of Defense should be shot for that action!

Interesting idea about the HE's but I would be concerned about them getting killed and then as you mention, quite a bang! I would rather prime as I need them I think. Or perhaps I will try it with one of my men, and then make sure he is physically quite distant from the others. But then he will need a significant amount of strength to effectively get the HE where I need it. I would think strength of 50 ish would be needed for this role.

May experiment when / if I get the chance :-)

The other option is getting the alien grenades, as they have around the same power as HE's last time I checked but seem light weight in comparison. FA gained as a result of an HE is nice, if a bit strange.

Look forward to watching your terror mission, see this tactic as an example. Hope you continue to enjoy the series :-)

Offline Lion66six

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 18, 2016, 01:08:56 pm »
Very unsound idea. Once one of the guys dies all the HE's go off...

Considering just isolating, the blast range is what about 8 or 9 squares? Also concerned about if they get panicked and have one in their hands. :-)

Offline Zyzyfer

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 18, 2016, 02:34:19 pm »
Only your grenadiers have primed HEs (for scouts you never prime them). Grenadiers having good starting strength (basically your strongest guys are your launcher and grenadier), can throw well behind smoke screen so they should never be getting downed (I am currently playing campaign on ultra-violence difficulty using Awesome Gun mod, I think its around September and both of my original grenadiers (one now a scout), still are alive never been shot/wounded.

It is clear the defense Minister has been recruiting from Major League Baseball (when it comes to throwing and XCOM recruits). I prefer my x2 grenadiers to be 4 & 5 (or there abouts), out the transporter (in this way the first x3 scouts usually have spotted some targets for them), and the area near transported visually cleared. It also comes handy having them near front if some heavy's appear like cyberdiscs etc.

I did have the unfortunate incident when my new grenadier got panicked by psi Alien. He dropped his HE's (from hands), but dropping explosives doesn't make then explode till next turn.
My team scattered, and the poor chap blew himself up :(
MEH...would have got dishonorably discharged for being mentally weak anyways so no biggie.

As for alien grenades they are about 15% weaker and just don't seem to have the punch to clear buildings quite as well and one obviously has to research that tech prior to being able to use them. But yeah you could carry more of them so i guess it depends on preference (but 15% power is 15%).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 02:43:37 pm by Zyzyfer »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 18, 2016, 02:39:39 pm »
Another option for terror units is the auto-cannon with incendiary rounds - assuming no extra resistance, each direct hit does an average of 28 armor-ignoring damage (7 for each tile), and won't trigger the disk's self-destruct, making it ideal for engaging at close range through smoke.  You won't have to worry as much about collateral damage, but you probably need two soldiers wielding them to ensure the 4-5 direct impacts necessary to fry the disk.  Kill it with fire!

Offline Lion66six

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 19, 2016, 01:27:03 pm »
Next episode is up at :

[LP]Hardmode Expansion [EP22] - Cant think of a title - https://youtu.be/nVl26CKm1OY

:-) Enjoy!

Offline Zyzyfer

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 20, 2016, 09:17:48 am »
Look forward to watching your terror mission, see this tactic as an example. Hope you continue to enjoy the series :-)
Here is that terror mission vs Mutons ->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTXeRspLgEc
You can skip the first 4:30mins of video as i am equipping. Only thing worth noting is that I pre-prime all my smoke grenades and all the HEs on Grenadiers are pe-primed (this saves a lot of TUs during tactical play and makes your Grenadiers much more deadlier).

You can see how effective HEs are (particularly in clearing obstacles/buildings). Throwing distance isn't really a problems -> those Grenadiers are also new as my old Grenadiers leveled their FA fast, & I have just prior to this mission rotated them into scouts as they also both had near 60 reaction stat (as I favour reaction for all troopers apart from dedicated sniper/heavy gunner).

Old Grenadiers could pretty much throw across whole map (well to the point where you suffer the 4 square height clipping).

p.s. slow start for Xcom in Ep22 but I good ending when you took out that large cluster of Foaters. Heh was that your Missus shouting in background DINNER IS READY !!! XDDD
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 09:24:36 am by Zyzyfer »

Offline Lion66six

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 20, 2016, 12:28:32 pm »
Thanks for the upload mate, I will have a watch later today (Lunch time!) and see what your style is all about.

Aye it was my fiancee shouting up to say tea is ready, which was great at the time as I was ravenous!

Next video should be up in a bit :-)

Offline Lion66six

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 20, 2016, 12:34:55 pm »
Next episode is up.

[LP]Hardmode Expansion [EP23] - Bring it on! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJYZGltCM3s

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #149 on: October 21, 2016, 01:06:46 pm »
Next episode is up.

[LP]Hardmode Expansion [EP23] - Bring it on! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJYZGltCM3s

I really enjoyed that you finally got some teamwork with your men going, keep up this good pace and the immenent death of X-Com will be postphoned :)

Fight for the Glory!
Fight for your Pride!
Fight for Humanity so that we will survive! :)