aliens

Author Topic: [LP]Hardmode Expansion - Glory or death! (Likely much of both)  (Read 116807 times)

Offline Zyzyfer

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [LP]Hardmode Expansion - Glory or death! (Likely much of both)
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2016, 04:16:42 pm »
Signups are still active, you will be recruited in episode 7. (Already recorded episode 6). Any other demands, steak dinners at night, 5 star hotel? :-) Will see what I can do haha. Also how do you pronounce your name, or do you want me to just have a bash and see how we get on?
HAHA! yeah steak dinner is nice but i actually eat raw meat mixed with onion, egg, and a few spices/other ingredients graded after freezing it (then letting it warm/soften), on a toasted bread rubbed with fresh garlic.- gotta preserve the proteins, and I don't do night/graveyard shifts (can't see well in the dark) XDD.

I notice your use of tank as scout v.good tactic.
The other tactic I used was dropping primed smoke grenades (not throwing but dropping as it uses far less TUs), to protect scouts exposed (i.e. no alien contact), prior to end turn.

As you probably already learned from EP5, weapons that create smoke after explosion don't create good smoke cover. Also when utilising smoke cover (by way of grenades), don't stand at edge of smoke it seems to offer little to no protection.

Also i noticed from earlier episodes when you do missions like farms you don't want go door to door (this put x-com operative far too close to aliens and is far too dangerous- and will yield you heavy casualties over some time), you want first flatten everything/buildings/fences/clustered trees etc. with rockets/HEs and then sweep the area with scouts.

Also REACTION fire is determined by % TUs, thus if  a squaddie has reaction of 100, but has only 50% TUs left his reaction will actually be reduced to 50. So in reality if you want reaction fire your best bet is to have a squaddie kneeling that hasn't moved and therefore has 100% TUs left (preferably with starting reaction stat of 50+ in reaction fire, any lower at it becomes painful to train reaction fire), here just reflecting on your poorly planned UFO assault in EP3

Also good idea to bring along an ammo mule (high strength rookie), to carry all the extra ammo/explosives/rockets, that way you wont run out of fire power.

...AND yeah just have a bash at name I was trying to come up with name that will come up last on forum member nick/username list.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 04:58:31 pm by Zyzyfer »

Offline Lion66six

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2016, 05:58:49 pm »
HAHA! yeah steak dinner is nice but i actually eat raw meat mixed with onion, egg, and a few spices/other ingredients graded after freezing it (then letting it warm/soften), on a toasted bread rubbed with fresh garlic.- gotta preserve the proteins, and I don't do night/graveyard shifts (can't see well in the dark) XDD.

I notice your use of tank as scout v.good tactic.
The other tactic I used was dropping primed smoke grenades (not throwing but dropping as it uses far less TUs), to protect scouts exposed (i.e. no alien contact), prior to end turn.

As you probably already learned from EP5, weapons that create smoke after explosion don't create good smoke cover. Also when utilising smoke cover (by way of grenades), don't stand at edge of smoke it seems to offer little to no protection.

Also i noticed from earlier episodes when you do missions like farms you don't want go door to door (this put x-com operative far too close to aliens and is far too dangerous- and will yield you heavy casualties over some time), you want first flatten everything/buildings/fences/clustered trees etc. with rockets/HEs and then sweep the area with scouts.

Also REACTION fire is determined by % TUs, thus if  a squaddie has reaction of 100, but has only 50% TUs left his reaction will actually be reduced to 50. So in reality if you want reaction fire your best bet is to have a squaddie kneeling that hasn't moved and therefore has 100% TUs left (preferably with starting reaction stat of 50+ in reaction fire, any lower at it becomes painful to train reaction fire), here just reflecting on your poorly planned UFO assault in EP3

Also good idea to bring along an ammo mule (high strength rookie), to carry all the extra ammo/explosives/rockets, that way you wont run out of fire power.

...AND yeah just have a bash at name I was trying to come up with name that will come up last on forum member nick/username list.

Some good points, I will let the cook in the living quarters know about your dietary requirements :-)

I like the idea regarding smoking out the scouts, will try that and see how I get on with it.

I guess I could do some damage to houses etc, with an explosion height of 3 two large rockets should be enough to flatten most stuffs.

As for your name, I'm going to likely pronounce it something like cypher but with a bit of a ze at the end. Close enough and thanks for the hints and tips. Always learning :-)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2016, 10:38:06 pm »
Btw Lion66Six, please have a good look at your scoring in the next months.
Once you get a infiltration mission you need to counter and raid the UFO's or the point penalty will get severe.
I am just mentioning this because you should get some more combat teams in the future, at least 2 or 3.
They will be needed...

Also normal Radars (Small and Large) do stack in detection chance.

Offline Lion66six

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2016, 01:53:12 pm »
Btw Lion66Six, please have a good look at your scoring in the next months.
Once you get a infiltration mission you need to counter and raid the UFO's or the point penalty will get severe.
I am just mentioning this because you should get some more combat teams in the future, at least 2 or 3.
They will be needed...

Also normal Radars (Small and Large) do stack in detection chance.

Thanks mate, aye I need to be ready for them.
I'm starting to get to the point where I will have more men available for strike teams, slowly but surely I will beat them :-)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2016, 11:25:16 pm »
Heh.  The mod and this LP get some nice face time in the new OpenXCOM Nightly Install Tutorial Video. :)

Installing Hardmode: https://youtu.be/L1WUpX9n7gY?t=2025

Hardmode LP: https://youtu.be/L1WUpX9n7gY?t=4741

Offline Lion66six

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2016, 12:08:51 am »
Heh.  The mod and this LP get some nice face time in the new OpenXCOM Nightly Install Tutorial Video. :)

Installing Hardmode: https://youtu.be/L1WUpX9n7gY?t=2025

Hardmode LP: https://youtu.be/L1WUpX9n7gY?t=4741

Many thanks mate, top stuff :-) I will try not to let your soldier die too much in the coming episodes ...

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2016, 12:52:54 am »
Many thanks mate, top stuff :-) I will try not to let your soldier die too much in the coming episodes ...

Just put me first on the ramp. Pistol and Grenade.  I loves me a high death count!

Offline Lion66six

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2016, 01:13:39 am »
Episode 6 is now live, click here:

Titled this one "Small in size, not in pain!"

https://youtu.be/vFPNs4ZVKao

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2016, 03:05:52 am »
Episode 6 is now live, click here:

Titled this one "Small in size, not in pain!"

https://youtu.be/vFPNs4ZVKao

Bailing out was probably the right thing todo, since you only killed ~1/3 of the Battleship crew.
Remember you errors and grow :)

EDIT: Update to BETA Version 0.99.2d see changes here mostly bugfixes.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 03:56:45 am by hellrazor »

Offline Zyzyfer

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2016, 05:30:21 am »
I use High Explosives (the human grenades sucks). Each scout equipped with a pistol, multiple smoke grenades, and one primed HE on belt for emergencies. I also use a dedicated grenadier and usually tagged by his side the ammo mule that carries extra HEs & rockets for my rocket launcher guy. 
I don't bother putting HEs on snipers as they are usually too far away from front.
HEs will save your butt alot, particularly in early phase of game, on terror missions its not uncommon i go through +30 HEs. Throwing also improves firing accuracy and a lot faster if you make 5 kills with one throw.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 05:37:04 am by Zyzyfer »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2016, 09:32:12 am »
Hm.. I would recommend you one other thing Lion66six.
Get all guy out of the Skyranger, use dropped primed smoke grenades as cover.
Give some dudes some normal Rifles, they are more flexible shooting at more targets then Sniper Rifles. :D

You encountered your first alien with a Plasma Shotgun, I hope you like it :D
Their will be many of them in the alien base just to say so... *evilgrin*

TIP: Shoot from out of visual Range -> Rifles :)
Also guys with Rocketlaunchers really level quickly once you give them Pistols as sidearms and use them.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 09:41:34 am by hellrazor »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2016, 03:04:32 pm »
I was laughing my ass of once i saw your reaction towards this happening
Deploy all mean, kill each aliens once it is spotted... or you die!

Offline Lion66six

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2016, 07:18:49 pm »
I was laughing my ass of once i saw your reaction towards this happening
Deploy all mean, kill each aliens once it is spotted... or you die!

Aye that was much fun. I think.

Shotguns are lovely, apart from when they are facing you with the plasma one :-) Still enjoying!

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2016, 02:36:36 pm »
Aye that was much fun. I think.

Shotguns are lovely, apart from when they are facing you with the plasma one :-) Still enjoying!

I am looking forward to your next episode.
Be also advised to update to the new BETA Version 0.99.2d which i linked above, to enjoy some new Bulletsprites, some overworked maps and some other minor changes and bugfixes (mostly terrain stuff).

Offline Lion66six

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2016, 05:35:30 pm »
I am looking forward to your next episode.
Be also advised to update to the new BETA Version 0.99.2d which i linked above, to enjoy some new Bulletsprites, some overworked maps and some other minor changes and bugfixes (mostly terrain stuff).

I recorded the next episode a few days ago, typically when I get chance to play I actually get around an hour and a bit, so I can do a few recordings in one sitting. Likely releasing it on Friday, or maybe Saturday afternoon. Before my next recording I will do the upgrade :-)