aliens

Author Topic: How to improve the Laser weapon  (Read 11745 times)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: How to improve the Laser weapon
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 03:47:29 pm »
Yeah, pretty much we just go with the no license around here, and just state that open use of the mod or resources is welcome.  Almost all art asset generated for mods end up being used elsewhere by other modders in the community.  Its kind of fun to see how far they move around. ;)

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 04:35:42 pm »
If you ask me, I do not see the problem and I do not see the restriction in the GPL license for that. Can you explain, why I can not take something that does not have the licenses and offer it under GPL license? Also, explain me please, what is the purpose of this file: https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/blob/master/LICENSE.txt ?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 05:37:14 pm by CanadianBeaver »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2016, 06:21:50 pm »
If you ask me, I do not see the problem and I do not see the restriction in the GPL license for that. Can you explain, why I can not take something that does not have the licenses and offer it under GPL license? Also, explain me please, what is the purpose of this file: https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/blob/master/LICENSE.txt ?

fair enough.  I'll admit my eyes glazed over trying to scan through that document after about a minute.  :o

If you wanna use my stuff, fine. Just feel free to share what you make as well. Thats good enough for me.   :D
'I'm gonna guess thats the gist of the gpl license in the first place.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2016, 06:35:03 pm »
fair enough.  I'll admit my eyes glazed over trying to scan through that document after about a minute.  :o

If you wanna use my stuff, fine. Just feel free to share what you make as well. Thats good enough for me.   :D
'I'm gonna guess thats the gist of the gpl license in the first place.

The GPL 3 Licence requires that idf something was once put under it has to stay under it.
This might be a problem, since we are actually moving here in a kinda grey area.
Especially if you consider we sometimes use modified vanilla stuff from original game.

EDIT: That Supsuper puts the OpenXcom Source under GPL 3 is totally ok and the LICENCE.TXT is mandatory in such cases.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 06:37:43 pm by hellrazor »

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2016, 07:49:33 pm »
If you wanna use my stuff, fine. Just feel free to share what you make as well. Thats good enough for me.   

Thank you. I will.

The GPL 3 Licence requires that idf something was once put under it has to stay under it.
This might be a problem, since we are actually moving here in a kinda grey area.
Especially if you consider we sometimes use modified vanilla stuff from original game.

How I realized, GPLv3 protects users, not authors. GPLv3 allows somebody to do something without author's restrictions. I think, GPLv3 is not related to "moving here in a kinda grey area" or to prohibition "modified vanilla stuff from original game".

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2016, 10:21:46 pm »
Sorry but you are not getting it.

Once you use assets from the original game and modify them or use them directly you can not licence them.
Because you are not the property owner.
And i do not wanna see this backfire legally against all modders in our community here.

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2016, 10:44:46 pm »
Sorry but you are not getting it.

Once you use assets from the original game and modify them or use them directly you can not licence them.
Because you are not the property owner.
And i do not wanna see this backfire legally against all modders in our community here.

May I ask you, It is your assumption or you can provide proofs or quotes from license articles or legal documents?

OK, I will think about your idea to make my modification without license. Thank you very much.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2016, 01:28:43 am »
You can't put it under the GPL because that license asserts that other people can accept payment for distributing your works. Because X-Com: Enemy Unknown is a licensed and protected product, your freedoms extend only to the capacity to make alterations to it and offer these alterations to people who own a licensed copy of the game, and you cannot transfer funds in any way relating to your works on the protected product.

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2016, 02:32:34 am »
The Reaver of Darkness, thank you for your remark. May I ask you to explain your point much more?
that license asserts that other people can accept payment for distributing your works.

Ok, let other people do it. I cannot see the problem.

X-Com: Enemy Unknown is a licensed and protected product, your freedoms extend only to the capacity to make alterations to it

Exactly, I do not distribute the X-Com: Enemy Unknown. I distribute only my alterations.

and offer these alterations to people who own a licensed copy of the game

Of course, people should have a licensed copy of the game.

and you cannot transfer funds in any way relating to your works on the protected product.

I'm afraid I did not understand, but anyway I do not have any commercial plans.

Bottom line: "You can't put it under the GPL" - can you explain why not?

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2016, 11:35:02 am »
The Reaver of Darkness, thank you for your remark. May I ask you to explain your point much more?
Ok, let other people do it. I cannot see the problem.

Exactly, I do not distribute the X-Com: Enemy Unknown. I distribute only my alterations.

Of course, people should have a licensed copy of the game.

I'm afraid I did not understand, but anyway I do not have any commercial plans.

Bottom line: "You can't put it under the GPL" - can you explain why not?

I already told you that no one here uses licences for his mods.
The reason for this was that working and distributing modified vanilla assets is juristically a grey area.
Meaning that if ever one of the current X-Com UFO Defense Licence holders (e.g. Firaxis) steps forward and forces us to remove content because we violate the original Licence of UFO Defense we are fucked.
Since we encourage to buy the original and it is mandatory to play either OpenXcom or possible Mods our modding activity here goes basically undisturbed.
And I for myself would like to keep it that way.

And you can not put already licensed content under a licence of your choice because you are not the owner of the intellectual property in question.
When you have no ownership, you have no right to licence.

EDIT:
As much as I like the GPL Licence and all the wonderful software the GNU project has so far produced and which I use myself daily, it is not applicable here.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 11:37:04 am by hellrazor »

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2016, 03:21:07 pm »
hellrazor, I have listened your point, but your behavior is very rude. I ask you to be politely.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2016, 08:58:41 am »
hellrazor, I have listened your point, but your behavior is very rude. I ask you to be politely.

I am polite. I was just trying to explain it more explizit.
Since my expression was that you did not understand.

Sorry if that sounded rude or so, its just it is a important topic.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 09:29:00 am by hellrazor »

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2016, 09:53:06 pm »
AwesomeGuns.Laser has been updated to new 1.3 version.

In new version all images have been improved.
Also, weight and damage of laser weapons were balanced.

https://www.openxcom.com/mod/awesome-guns-laser
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 06:21:55 am by CanadianBeaver »