aliens

Author Topic: Missing power source  (Read 4045 times)

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
Missing power source
« on: August 12, 2016, 04:40:32 am »
Started a new game with latest nightly and all that, and I've done two intact medium scouts now; and for some reason neither of them had any power source nor elerium.  The only mod I'm running is Area 51, but I've been told that the issue is more with OpenXcom itself and the mod itself is fine in regards to UFOs and their power sources.

So what's going on?  Are medium scouts just now light enough to not need power sources anymore like small scouts?

Edit: So I ran New Battle with a medium scout several times both with and without the Area 51 mod; only once did the UFO lack a power source and elerium, and that was with the mod on.  Warboy, Hobbes, someone please help me out here.

Also, does New Battle always generate intact UFOs even if it runs a "crash recovery" mission?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 04:56:52 am by BBHood217 »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Missing power source
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 05:48:58 am »
When this issue was first reported my suspicion was that it was related to how several of the Terrain Pack/Area 51's new landing zones have objects on the map blocks and how that could be preventing the Elerium from being generated. Then I run a number of tests and saw that it seemed irrelevant - a few times the Elerium/Power Source would not be generated but there wasn't a pattern I could recognize.

It is odd. And slightly annoying when you need that Elerium

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 06:52:11 am »
At least it only seems to happen with medium scouts.

Doesn't seem to happen to alien subs either.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 09:30:45 am »
I never ran into this problem while actually playing.

New Battle is something different.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 05:40:32 am »
it's random number generation. UFOs that have crashed follow the same probability patterns of engines exploding as the original.
you've already proven to yourself that it CAN happen, with new battle mode (which follow the exact same rules as regular gameplay, despite what hellrazor thinks)
the only thing preventing it from occurring in your game is random chance favouring destruction.

heck you can prove it quite easily in campaign mode, too. save your game just before you land at a crashed UFO and turn on save scumming, then reload repeatedly and check the results.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 10:36:45 am »
So it behaves in New Battle the same as ingame?
Ok thats good to know, thx Warboy.