Author Topic: Reaver's artwork - featuring Red/Blue Lasers!  (Read 5615 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Reaver's artwork - featuring Red/Blue Lasers!
« on: August 02, 2016, 11:10:43 am »
Here I am posting all of my art projects for my WIP total conversion mod. You can install this art into your games/mods for your own aesthetic pleasure.

I colorized the large rocket in two different fashions. In my mod, the small rocket is now the smoke rocket, and the large rocket is renamed the explosive rocket. When you research alien grenades, you can manufacture alien rockets, and when you research blaster bombs, you can manufacture fusion rockets.

On reply #7 I have posted artwork to give the laser pistol and heavy laser a red and blue motif like the original laser rifle. It is my (semi) original artwork and I spent quite a few hours on it, so I hope you like it! I also added a scope to the laser rifle. My mod will be using the red/blue lasers for the standard laser line, and will be using CanadianBeaver's art from awesomeguns-laser for the automatic laser line. This makes them look visually distinct from one another as well as adding a highly different style to either line. If art style is what matters most to you, then you can choose to use the weapons you think look the best.

On reply #8 I have posted recolorations of the stun and blaster bombs. These are for my conventional-charge variants which you can manufacture as soon as you research the alien's version of the bomb. The black one is high explosive, in the case of the blaster bomb it is a cheaper and less destructive bomb. The yellow-orange one is incendiary. The blue-grey small bomb is smoke.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 08:01:33 am by The Reaver of Darkness »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Reaver's artwork - rockets
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 04:07:17 pm »
Yep, looking good :)

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 05:32:27 am »
Does the size of the image matter much? I noticed (after I made these) that the other floorob images are generally 32x40 per item.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 10:19:26 am »
Does the size of the image matter much? I noticed (after I made these) that the other floorob images are generally 32x40 per item.

You mean you're using non-standard picture sizes?
I can't say for sure it won't work, but it's a weird idea. I wouldn't even think of trying this. Because... why?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 04:41:21 pm »
floorobs & handobs are 32X40.
Bigobs are 32X48.
the game is designed to handle these sizes, so I'd stick with them.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 11:52:01 pm »
floorobs & handobs are 32X40.
Bigobs are 32X48.
the game is designed to handle these sizes, so I'd stick with them.
After much trial and error, I found out how to extract the images and edit them without screwing up their palettes. I fixed the rocket images in the OP--the old images I had up there had completely messed up palettes. I had obtained them originally by manipulating screenshots of the game, which isn't a very good way to operate.

I've been busy making some other pieces as well, and I'm particularly proud of my laser pistol redesign:

I have quite a bit of other stuff made as well, but I can't attach more than five items to a post, and I can't seem to get mtPaint to cooperate when it comes to condensing images into one.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 12:07:02 am »
After much trial and error, I found out how to extract the images and edit them without screwing up their palettes. I fixed the rocket images in the OP--the old images I had up there had completely messed up palettes. I had obtained them originally by manipulating screenshots of the game, which isn't a very good way to operate.

I've been busy making some other pieces as well, and I'm particularly proud of my laser pistol redesign:

I have quite a bit of other stuff made as well, but I can't attach more than five items to a post, and I can't seem to get mtPaint to cooperate when it comes to condensing images into one.

You might want to consider falko's sprite sheet maker.  It will combine multiple images into one sheet.

https://falkooxc2.pythonanywhere.com/
Tools>Sprites>Combine Sprites

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 01:59:28 am »
You might want to consider falko's sprite sheet maker.  It will combine multiple images into one sheet.

https://falkooxc2.pythonanywhere.com/
Tools>Sprites>Combine Sprites
I'll keep that in mind, thanks! For now, I managed to figure out how to paste images in mtPaint. I had to right-click the selection to make it drop it.

Here's my full Red/Blue Laser Redesign:
edit: I restored the old handle to the laser rifle. I also learned that the image can hang off past the slot if it hangs to the right.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 07:16:29 am by The Reaver of Darkness »

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Reaver's artwork - featuring Red/Blue Lasers!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 07:47:43 am »
Conventional blaster and small launcher bombs -- more info in the original post

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 10:34:16 am »
Look very good.

Did you use Falko's sprite converter, or painted them by hand?

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 07:39:57 pm »
Look very good.

Did you use Falko's sprite converter, or painted them by hand?
Thanks!

All by hand, but simply recoloring them is pretty easy. It was the laser pistol and heavy laser that were more work, especially the heavy laser. I finished the laser pistol much faster.