Author Topic: New Way to Lose: 50% or more sponsors sign pacts with aliens  (Read 4165 times)

Offline KiethSomataw99

• Captain
    • View Profile
I believe that this game could use a new way to lose: if 50% (8 in vanilla [UFO] and {TFTD}) or more countries sign pacts with the aliens, the X-COM project will be terminated. The alien pacts call not only for ceasing funding towards X-COM, but also applying pressure for its closure and at 50% or more, the pressure reaches a point in which the countries vote for the projects complete termination and convince the remaining sponsors to follow in their footsteps.

If at the end of the month, the number of countries that signed pacts reaches one below the 50% mark, a message will read, "Already many of your sponsors have signed pacts with the aliens. You must defeat the alien incursion soon before any more [nations] {organizations} sign secret pacts with the aliens or X-Com could face termination."

At the end of the month, where enough countries have signed pacts, the monthly report will read, "A majority of your sponsors have signed pacts with the aliens and unfortunately, they have forced the [council of funding nations] {committee of funding organizations} to ultimately terminate [the X-Com project] {funding X-Com}. They have convinced the rest of the nations to deal with the problem as they have. We can only hope we can come to some accommodation with these [apparently hostile] {ancient} forces and the general population will come to terms with these [alien] {aquatic} visitors."

This way to lose practically adds a time constraint to the game (though it is variable), in which you must access and complete the final mission before too long or be defeated.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: New Way to Lose: 50% or more sponsors sign pacts with aliens
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 10:35:58 pm »
This way to lose practically adds a time constraint to the game (though it is variable), in which you must access and complete the final mission before too long or be defeated.

It is variable but also determined by the number of vanilla's missions. The mission table holds 49 alien mission entries, and there are 8 regions that have Infiltration assigned, so it would only take 1 run of the mission table to lose the game. First 6 months only have 1 mission each, then it's 2 missions per month, so by April 2001 you'd automatically lose the game (first year has 18 missions, then 2nd year has 24). It's even possible to lose right by August 1999 if the RNG only gives you Infiltration missions after the 1st month.

Offline Arek_PL

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 05:53:45 pm »
maybe instead of lossing maybe humans turn agais us? imagine that not only aliens attack your bases but sometimes human do it too and without detecting your base, while thier armor is probaly useless but you probaly sold so many plasma guns and laser cannons your greed turns agaist you 

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 09:57:51 am »
What I would love is something like X-COM Apoc infiltration ratings - I may be remembering wrong but I think that in Apoc if the aliens control more than half of a Org, its subverted permanently.

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 01:44:40 pm »
What I would love is something like X-COM Apoc infiltration ratings - I may be remembering wrong but I think that in Apoc if the aliens control more than half of a Org, its subverted permanently.

Actually it was 100%. 50% was pretty normal, for short periods.
Such a system would be fun, but we would have to invent a new mechanics that would make it useful at all. Having these % just for the sake of it wouldn't make sense.

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 09:49:13 pm »
I think this would be a nice addition, but the core mechanics of Infiltrations need to change - right now it's entirely possible to shoot down every wave of an infiltration mission, and still get that second battleship to spawn before the end of the month.

Maybe something as simple as shooting down the second battleship before it has time to land cancelling the infiltration should be enough.

Either that, or allow some way to get the countries back.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 08:12:50 pm »
Infiltration would definitely need to be changed if it forces a lose condition; as is you're often powerless to prevent it.