Author Topic: Finding Star Gods  (Read 6374 times)

Offline Mattdo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Finding Star Gods
« on: May 30, 2016, 01:48:49 pm »
Where do I find a Star God Coordinator? I've shot down a Star God Battleship, Corvette and Cruiser without finding one. I've found one Star God Operative. (I don't seem to be able to research him... bug?)

I'm willing to hack the save game file if that's what it takes. I'm ready for the game to be over now. I have over a hundred million in the bank and I've run out of other stuff to do.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Star Gods
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 02:18:32 pm »
Base Defense and Base Attack are probably your best bet.

Cruiser, Battleship, Corvette (and a few more) should have them too, maybe they died during the crash... they like spawning near exploding engines :-)

Offline karadoc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 02:35:21 pm »
I recently fought a battleship mission without seeing one...   However, since I was surprised that I didn't find one and I'm keen to finish my playthrough so that I can start a new game, I checked the wiki to see what they look like. That helped me. I then redid the mission, and successfully captured the coordinator which I hadn't noticed the first time. (For reasons that will be obvious if you check what they look like!)

Protip: Use the mind probe.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 02:41:43 pm »
Even more pro tip: Use the "Replacement of SGC Image" mod :)

It looks really cool; and it's the closest you'll get to killing Dioxine himself for the pain inflicted during the campaign :D

Offline Mattdo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 03:31:49 pm »
I think I nearly had the opportunity to do a Base Defense against Star Gods, but the incoming ship was annihilated by my plasma batteries. Not that I'd have been in a good position to capture one if I had; it was a minor base with few defenders.

Base Attack? I suppose if another base ever appears I could hack the save file to turn it into a Star God base... So far they tend to be Church bases.

I'm not worried about appearance: I capture anything even vaguely god-like. I've stopped even using area effect weapons on these missions. I've taken more Star God Novices than I know what to do with. Not much I can do about the fact that the leaders of the Star Gods think the exploding engine compartments are the best part of the Cruiser to live in...

Offline AncientSion

• Colonel
  • Ave Caesar, morituri te salutant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 04:35:06 pm »
Do you get any Kind of loot if you deflect a base attack via static defenses ?

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 04:40:25 pm »
I am pretty sure you don't. They always crash into that really cool and reeaallly big moat you have.

Offline Mattdo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 04:52:52 pm »
At least I didn't have to feed the mutant crocodiles that week...

Offline Mattdo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 06:59:34 pm »
Well, I hacked an alien mission to replace the race with Star Gods and assaulted a cruiser while it was landed to make sure there weren't any exploding-engine-huggers.

alienMissions:
  - type: STR_MISSION_SWAY_GOVT
    race: STR_ETHEREAL_WAR

Haul: two Star God novice, one Star God operative.
I've got the actual capture down to a science. Eliminate the waspites from a distance (or mind control them), then run around with stun weapons, pulling out the mono-claws when we see a cyclops... That way, if we get mind-controlled we don't actually hurt each other.

There aren't two different Star God races, are there? I used to see pogroms with Sectopods and Star God Guardians, back when I was too weak to fight them. Now it's all cyclopses and waspites and rockies...

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 07:06:27 pm »
There aren't two different Star God races, are there?

Actually, there are three:
- STR_ETHEREAL
- STR_ETHEREAL_WAR
- STR_MIXED

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 07:07:02 pm »
There aren't two different Star God races, are there? I used to see pogroms with Sectopods and Star God Guardians, back when I was too weak to fight them. Now it's all cyclopses and waspites and rockies...

Yes, there are.

Code: [Select]
  - id: STR_ETHEREAL
    members:
      - STR_ETHEREAL_COMMANDER
      - STR_ETHEREAL_LEADER
      - STR_ETHEREAL_SOLDIER
      - STR_ETHEREAL_NOVICE
      - STR_ETHEREAL_SOLDIER
      - STR_ETHEREAL_SOLDIER
      - STR_SECTOPOD_TERRORIST
      - STR_SECTOPOD_TERRORIST
    retaliation: false

- id: STR_ETHEREAL_WAR
    members:
      - STR_ETHEREAL_LEADER
      - STR_ETHEREAL_NOVICE
      - STR_CYCLOPS_SOLDIER
      - STR_CYCLOPS_SOLDIER
      - STR_WASPITE_SOLDIER
      - STR_CYCLOPS_SOLDIER
      - STR_CYCLOPS_SOLDIER
      - STR_SILACOID_TERRORIST

You need the one, which has STR_ETHEREAL_COMMANDER in it.

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 07:10:50 pm »
It looks really cool; and it's the closest you'll get to killing Dioxine himself for the pain inflicted during the campaign :D

Only we cannot, as we need it alive! Dammit!^^

Offline Mattdo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 12:11:27 am »
Changing the faction of a Cruiser to STR_ETHEREAL did the trick. I had an unusually exciting battle, during which I suffered two deaths, blew up half the cruiser with BFGs, and captured one Star God Co-ordinator.

Unfortunately, it won't let me research him. Checking with the tech tree viewer, I see this is because I didn't capture a Guardian. Anyway, it looks like I'm in sight of my goal. Thanks for the help.

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 12:19:55 am »
That post just made me realise that I killed the coordinator in my recent battle. That is assuming the logic 'If Sectopods appear then a coordinator is on ground.'