Author Topic: Line of sight oddity to watch out for  (Read 3346 times)

Offline Mattdo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Line of sight oddity to watch out for
« on: May 28, 2016, 01:52:28 pm »
1 Arrived in a previously unexplored leg of a cruiser... Seems to be clear...

2 Well, I still have a few turn units left...

3 I think I'll move around to the far side of the glowing thingy to take cover in case anyone follows me down...

4 Aah! Where did you come from? How come I could see the floor you were standing on through the glowing thingy, but couldn't see you?

(The part of 'my favorite scout who would have been brutally murdered' was played by 'expendable mind-controlled minion'. We thank him for his assistance, and for the synthmuscle mesh we were able to retrieve from his body.)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 01:57:06 pm by Mattdo »

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
Re: Line of sight oddity to watch out for
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 03:27:12 pm »
Units are cylinder for line of sight purposes and stand in a middle of a square.

The engine's cylinder was larger than the muton's cylinder. Odd but not impossible.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 04:00:55 pm »
Yeah, perfectly normal, happens all the time.

Offline Mattdo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 05:47:29 pm »
I don't know if making the ship-engine cylinder a bit smaller would be easy/worthwhile; I posted this mainly to warn players not to assume the room is empty just because it looks empty. I've spent ages searching a cruiser for the last guy, only to discover he was in a room I already checked.

Offline karadoc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 11:09:38 am »
I've been caught out by enemies hiding behind those. I can only assume that the enemies are leaning right up against the cylinder to remain hidden.

Those rooms do look deceptively harmlessly; but I think it's fair enough to expect players to discover that they should look behind the engine before assuming that the room is clear.