Author Topic: Riding the bus to work - enjoying the small squad size  (Read 4232 times)

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Riding the bus to work - enjoying the small squad size
« on: May 26, 2016, 11:58:06 pm »
For everyone who has started a new game with 0.98F - how are you faring with the small starting squad size?  I've liked getting to know my ragtag band of pirate heroes, and due to my unwillingness to assault a large shipping until lately, haven't been able to get an air sailor to research the Bonaventura until well into year two.

The small landing craft have forced me to adapt by doing more night ops, which become truly thrilling against supply ships and the sudden daylight of a baby nuke going off.  Almost going to miss it, now that I'm manufacturing the trusty old ship. On the bright side, I won't fear pogroms as much now.

Offline AncientSion

• Colonel
  • Ave Caesar, morituri te salutant.
    • View Profile
Re: Riding the bus to work - enjoying the small squad size
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 12:15:02 am »
Ugh, i stronly dislike nighttime missions. I havent played the new version yet, but i really hope what you describe isnt mandatory going forward.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 12:23:46 am »
I don't think night ops are necessary, it's just what I've found to work well with the increased view range and poor starting accuracy of the gals, plus I would keep forgetting to use smoke grenades.  Night ops heavily favor your gals in the early mini-missions, and given you great opportunities to train reactions.  Just point your team towards the opening of the outpost/warehouse/church, turn off your lights, and wait with fast snapshot guns.

Offline karadoc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 10:06:56 am »
Speaking of night-ops; if I turn my lights on and then turn them off again without moving anyone or spending any time-units, will the enemy see me?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 02:40:06 pm »
Yes, if they're looking in your direction and within the view distance, which is 40 with the latest update, they'll spot you.  They won't be able to shoot though until they can spot you on their turn, but they'll remember where your gals are, and may start hunting them more aggressively.

On a related note, I've found that reloading a save turns the lights back on even when they were off when you saved, so be careful about needing to come back to a night op you had to leave partway through.  Also, the Pachyderm is terrible for disembarking at night; even when personal lights are off, the engines are a beacon declaring 'Yarr! Here there be piratez!'

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 03:22:34 pm »
The pachy has always been my second troop carrier. In my current playthrough - I have the Bonny and two Pachy's - 8 man teams ideal for the mini pogroms and some crashes.

Offline Mattdo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 03:30:56 pm »
Is it the engines that are the light source? I thought my vehicle was light because I brought along a bunch of spare electro-flares and didn't equip them to anyone...

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 03:54:32 pm »
Your "pile of loot" will emit light if there are electro-flares in it, but many crafts in Piratez also have light emitting sections. I don't use the pachyderm, so I wouldn't know for this one specifically though.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 04:53:12 pm »
I tend to use incendiary rounds and molotovs instead of electro-flares, since I don't want to stand in the light to re-use my source, so it's most likely the engines of the craft.