aliens

Author Topic: [EQUIPMENT] Airsoft Pistol  (Read 4737 times)

Offline Cooper

• Colonel
  • Chryssalids are awesome
    • View Profile
[EQUIPMENT] Airsoft Pistol
« on: May 21, 2016, 01:50:25 am »
This mod adds a Airsoft Pistol with damage of 0 as a tactical item to the game.

Whats the point?

The Airsoft Pistol can be used for two different purposes:
1. Reaction fire training. If you manage to disarm the aliens, equip your soldiers with Airsoft Pistols and let them train their reactions as long as you want, without killing the aliens.
2. Defense against mind control. Fool the aliens by giving it to your psi-week soldiers! The mind controlled soldier will then try to kill your soldiers using the Airsoft Pistol, even if there is another gun in the backpack. (but get rid of your grenades!)

Credits:
Sprites are taken from the "Equal Terms v1.0" mod, created by KingMob4313

Click here to download.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 05:50:27 pm by Cooper »

Offline Kjotleik

• Colonel
  • I am Kjotleik
    • View Profile
Re: [EQUIPMENT] Airsoft Pistol
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 06:27:09 am »
Nice idea   :)

I think your second point is the one this will be useful for. Psi-attacks happens every game, and is dangerous. Especially early on.

Reaction-training can mostly be done using ordinary vanilla-game Pistols. At the stage of the game where you are able to mind-control (a necessity for being able to unarm, and keep in place, an alien) you should have Power Suits already.

Question: Don't you think a 25-round clip is a bit much? I know they are supposed to be "dummy" rounds with no damage, but nevertheless. Compared to the Pistol's 12-round capacity (and 11 hits should allow maximum stat-gains anyways) it seems a bit much to me.

Sincerely
Kjotleik

Offline Cooper

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 02:55:05 pm »
Nice idea   :)

I think your second point is the one this will be useful for. Psi-attacks happens every game, and is dangerous. Especially early on.

Reaction-training can mostly be done using ordinary vanilla-game Pistols. At the stage of the game where you are able to mind-control (a necessity for being able to unarm, and keep in place, an alien) you should have Power Suits already.

Well, even Mutons can be killed with enough pistol shots. But I agree that its definitively more useful for psi defense.

Question: Don't you think a 25-round clip is a bit much? I know they are supposed to be "dummy" rounds with no damage, but nevertheless. Compared to the Pistol's 12-round capacity (and 11 hits should allow maximum stat-gains anyways) it seems a bit much to me.
Hmmm maybe. But at the same time its nice to have a lot of shots for when you are mindcontrolled, so the aliens keep using the airsoft pistol instead of other leathal weapons you might have in your backpack or belt. But I'll think about it.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 05:07:01 pm »
This is redundant with the stock pistol - which is 2x more accurate, so you spend much less of your playing time shooting and missing. The first XCOM armor is already good enough to make you safe from pistols.
Further in the game, when you have the second armor, laser pistols are safe to use in cas of mind control, and have actual infinite ammo.
If you want to exploit the experience system, with -40% damage from bullets, Mutons are pretty much immune to pistols/rifles.

Offline Cooper

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 05:47:19 pm »
This is redundant with the stock pistol - which is 2x more accurate, so you spend much less of your playing time shooting and missing. The first XCOM armor is already good enough to make you safe from pistols.
Further in the game, when you have the second armor, laser pistols are safe to use in cas of mind control, and have actual infinite ammo.
If you want to exploit the experience system, with -40% damage from bullets, Mutons are pretty much immune to pistols/rifles.
In a situation where you have 15+ soldiers and just a couple Mutons, the Mutons are dying a bit to fast even if you have only pistols :P Its also nice to be able to reaction fire train on other races when Mutons don't appear.

Good point with the accuracy, I'll increase it.

Sure, you can use laser pistols, but by using this its safe to carry a lot more powerful weapons with you.

--- posts merged - Solarius Scorch ---

Version 1.1:

-Slightly decreased clipsize
-Increased price
-Increased accuracy. Still sliiightly less than the stock pistol to maintain some realism, but it makes up for it by:
-Decreased time units cost
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 11:50:05 pm by Solarius Scorch »