Author Topic: burst stop after target destroyed  (Read 6142 times)

Volutar

burst stop after target destroyed
« on: June 01, 2012, 10:34:11 am »
I'd like to have fire burst stop after target destroyed.
It's always annoying when alien dies after first shot, and two others hits something explosive.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Re: burst stop after target destroyed
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 10:42:25 am »
I'd like to have fire burst stop after target destroyed.
It's always annoying when alien dies after first shot, and two others hits something explosive.

I always thought that was just "How it was" with burst shots , if you did not want to risk collateral damage you should use one of the other options.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 10:54:06 am »
that's what I thought, too. that's the strategic part of choosing your mode-of-fire: if you want to make sure something is dead, use (explosive) auto-shot. if you need the body/items or your own soldier is standing behind the alien, use single shots.

actually, for auto-shot it would even make sense to have all three bullets flying at the same time - fired directly after each other, not waiting for the previous one to strike before firing the next. I just don't know if the game engine would support this at all :P

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 11:33:05 am »
Also I use burst sometimes when you have multiple aliens close together, if it happens that one alien is killed with the first bullet, there is still a chance the two remaining bullets hit the other alien...

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 11:45:36 am »

actually, for auto-shot it would even make sense to have all three bullets flying at the same time - fired directly after each other, not waiting for the previous one to strike before firing the next. I just don't know if the game engine would support this at all :P

Yes, auto shoot should work like this.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 11:49:41 am »

Yes i want that too , maybe have popup windows ( picture im picture) showing where the burst fire actually hit instead of tracking the individual bullets.

Volutar

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 03:47:08 pm »
I always thought that was just "How it was" with burst shots , if you did not want to risk collateral damage you should use one of the other options.
In real life "killed" enemy getting all 3 bullets before falling, but in xcom they fall instantly, which ruin all burst logic.

So, either stop shooting after alien killed, or have alien standing until burst ends.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 06:04:24 pm »
In real life "killed" enemy getting all 3 bullets before falling, but in xcom they fall instantly, which ruin all burst logic.

So, either stop shooting after alien killed, or have alien standing until burst ends.

hmmm a valid argument that i had not considered , still personally i like how it is.

Offline Bomb Bloke

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • StrategyCore
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 01:15:11 am »
The whole point of auto-shot is that it's uncontrolled; you pull the trigger three times and hope for the best. The payoff is that you get up to three hits at a reduced TU cost and, rather more importantly, the enemy doesn't get a chance at reaction fire until you're done. I consider that more then an even trade, in fact I use this firing mode near-exclusively because odds are just about always in favour at least one of the shots will hit something at any range.

Though Volutar's point about aliens instantly dropping is valid (even if it'd be quite a game changer to leave them standing), I also use Daiky's tactic of attempting to take out a group of aliens with one auto-shot (just about every time I breach a medium scout for eg).

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 02:32:56 pm »
as long as we don't include some kind of physics engine to determine whether or not the alien corpse had time to fall out of the way between the bullets of the auto-shot, I'd say we leave it at "bullet fired" -> "bullet strikes" -> "alien falls" -> "next bullet fired".  :P