aliens

Author Topic: An interview on XCOM: Enemy Unknown at StrategyCore  (Read 5041 times)

Offline Space Voyager

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
An interview on XCOM: Enemy Unknown at StrategyCore
« on: May 31, 2012, 11:31:40 am »
Just dropped by to inform you that Jack Solomon from Firaxis considers you guys at OpenXcom for brothers in arms!

SC: One of the best testaments to the popularity of the original game is the still-thriving modding community and the excellent projects based on it. Do you have any words of encouragement for modders and devs working on projects such as UFO2000 (multiplayer XCOM) and OpenXCOM (a total open source rewrite)?

JS: I consider anyone who has tried to re-create a crazy game like XCOM a brother-in-arms. When you consider how much stuff you have to pack into that game… I’m sure we could swap war stories all day long.

Well, that and to shamelessly advertise the interview;D

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: An interview on XCOM: Enemy Unknown at StrategyCore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 04:43:51 pm »
Welcome to this forum Space Voyager, if there is anyone who has the right to shamelessly advertise here, then it's the strategycore guys :-)

And it's great to hear Jack Solomon thinks about us that way. I'd love to swap stories with him, about xcom battlescape mechanics. I bet he's been lurking around on our forums picking up ideas  ;D

Offline Kyzrati

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • X@COM - The X-COM RL
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 08:17:01 pm »
I bet he's been lurking around on our forums picking up ideas  ;D
I certainly know I have! Actually, before starting work on my own project, I visited *all* the remake sites with forums and went through every page of suggestions, linking and copying ideas into a huge file which... hopefully... one day... I'll be able to actually go through and combine with my own ideas to expand the game a lot more. But for now, just getting the basics in is plenty of work, as you guys already know ;)

Fortunately I don't have to worry as much about graphics, which are a pain.

It is very good to hear about "official" devs being supportive of the mod/remake community.

Offline Space Voyager

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 01:03:07 pm »
Crap, just realized that his name is Jake, not Jack... Sorry.

Thanks, Daiky. He might have dropped by, who knows! He knows mods for X-COM and I'm sure he (or others at Firaxis) must have done a wide search. I wouldn't be surprised if OpenXcom is known to them. It is now, anyway.  :D