Author Topic: Weapons Guide & UI Mod  (Read 5572 times)

Offline lusciouspear

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Weapons Guide & UI Mod
« on: April 27, 2016, 09:20:10 pm »
Hi,

So, I totally adore this game. My god, it's brilliant.

Is there a mod which shows accuracy/range and damage in the inventory screen when I click on a weapon on the equip screen? I'm going nuts trying to remember bootypedia or switching to a wiki.

Also, is there a handy guide for n00bs on "rules of thumb" for which weapons to use? I'm not totally sure what ninja stars do that's different from fuso knives, for instance. Or why to ever use flintlock weapons when capured/black market ones are cheap. And when should I carry an autopistol vs. smg. I know part of the experience is exploring, I just wouldn't mind a little wisdom ;)

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Weapons Guide & UI Mod
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 09:31:37 pm »
There is no such shortcut at the moment, maybe in the future if I have enough "inspiration".

But you can at least open the bootypedia directly from the inventory... just press U.

As a rule of thumb... all starting weapons suck :) so you can use anything you want. I prefer Combat Bow, Rapier, Sniper rifle and Cattle Prod. Black powder bomb is also important.

Offline lusciouspear

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 09:40:05 pm »
I'm an engineer, I could probably code something up... hrm.

And thanks! Actually that helps a lot, knowing I'm not "missing" something. I take it I gotta capture a cattle prod?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 09:43:35 pm »
..I take it I gotta capture a cattle prod?

Not exactly, you just need to research the tech that allows it to be purchased on the black market. :)  And yep, they are handy. :)

Offline AncientSion

• Colonel
  • Ave Caesar, morituri te salutant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 10:08:31 pm »
I prefer to use Baseball Bats than using Cattle Prods, the difference in TUs is a big deal over the course of a turn.
Also, you can kill guys with a Baseball Bat by just hitting them 5 to 8 times. Which may be a good or a bad thing depending on what you are looking for.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 10:36:41 pm »
I prefer to use Baseball Bats than using Cattle Prods, the difference in TUs is a big deal over the course of a turn.
Also, you can kill guys with a Baseball Bat by just hitting them 5 to 8 times. Which may be a good or a bad thing depending on what you are looking for.

Yeah, I like the ball bats early, and midgame I'm even still lugging handles around too. ;)

Offline lusciouspear

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 11:41:32 pm »
Any tips for stunning armored enemies, like Gov't agents? I've shot them with chem darts, had 15 swings with the bball bat, still they don't go down. (I got lucky once).

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 12:11:14 am »
Cattleprod have the highest stun damage available early on (until you get a great gal with handle or fisticuffs).

You can also try to use a few acid vials on them, to reduce their armor values and then stun them. Note that the acid flask only reduces armor on one facing, so you have to then hit them on the same facing.

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
  • do you want to be any of those things
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 12:12:36 am »
As a rule of thumb... all starting weapons suck :)
That is a very strange way to describe the mighty axe and hammer.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 12:27:25 am »
Is there a mod which shows accuracy/range and damage in the inventory screen when I click on a weapon on the equip screen? I'm going nuts trying to remember bootypedia or switching to a wiki.

Seems to be your lucky day... I finally found the elusive "inspiration" (it was on the bottom of a glass of Guiness):
- right click on item in hand in battlescape now opens corresponding ufopaedia article
- middle button click on item in the inventory (or on the ground) now opens corresponding ufopaedia article too

You'll need to wait until the next release though :)

Offline lusciouspear

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 12:29:33 am »
Truly, you are a hero and an inspiration for the ages.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 02:49:57 am »
Any tips for stunning armored enemies, like Gov't agents? I've shot them with chem darts, had 15 swings with the bball bat, still they don't go down. (I got lucky once).

I guess you mean the military police. The noose is quite good against them. But thats a special case and not recomended for all armored enemies. Noose damage depends a lot on the choking modifier of your target. Some armored enemies (Osirion) are compleately immune to choking, while military police have a 2x modifier.