aliens

Author Topic: Craft weapons  (Read 2858 times)

Offline AncientSion

• Colonel
  • Ave Caesar, morituri te salutant.
    • View Profile
Craft weapons
« on: April 17, 2016, 10:37:00 pm »
Im probably doing something wrong for the third time in a row now.
I have played for half a year and made good progress, yet im still stuck using 25mm cannons.
I could in theory assemble 50mm and gauss guns, but i lack parts to assemble them.
I suppose 50mm gun parts can ONLY be produced by actually captuing them from landed vessels.
Gauss Cannons parts however can be salvaged from landed vessels or, i believe, from disassembled man-sized weapons. However, i have only a single gauss pistol and i even lack the knowledge do dissamble gauss weapons.
And this is with plenty of land'ed assaults.

Can i get a small guide about craft weapons, please ?

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Craft weapons
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 10:51:08 pm »
I have limited experiance but I found the 30 mm, 50 mm and Gauss Cannon parts from looting landed ships. Which weapon parts you get depends on the ship you raid. For example, Gauss Cannon parts you get from fighters. Fighters don't always land and when you shoot them down the weapon parts might be destroyed.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 10:53:23 pm »
Try following ships until they land to get more parts then you would from downed ships.

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
  • No range like point blank range.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 11:11:33 pm »
You will be able to manufacture 50mm cannon (and it's improved variant) eventually if you do enough research. There's also a variety of manufacturable light, heavy and missile weapons gained from research. I prefer lascannon (not charger laser) though, because it doesn't require ammo.

The tier of components are dependant on strength of the ship itself. Cruiser will give you plasma spitter parts, for example. Hunt for a more dangerous ships for a better guns, basically.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 11:17:55 pm »
Sounds like the next step up for you, is laser tech, which requires capturing an engineer alive. After that the second stage of laser tech is to interogate an academy engineer after diplomacy tech. 30mm 50mm and gauss can indeed be looted from landed ships along with small amounts of ammo. Military transports also occasionally have craft gun parts. However one should not be relying on guns to do the majority of damage in the air in the early stages of a game. Invest in missiles. You get a range advantage over most of the smaller craft. Stingray missiles you can produce yourself pretty cheep and come 15 to a production item. The launcher holds 5.