aliens

Author Topic: Tech Tree questions  (Read 3034 times)

Offline Loengrinn

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Tech Tree questions
« on: April 16, 2016, 10:41:50 am »
So I've been at this for weeks trying to learn more, and despite the huge boost in popularity in this mod since the RPS article, there's still not a lot of info.  I know there's the googledocs thing that let's you search for specific techs and shows all the things that lead to it and from it.  And I also understand the tech tree is massive, and so interconnected a picture would be nigh impossible.  But would it be possible to draw up something that shows the major points?  Like, capturing and interrogating unit x leads to research b, f, g, which are massive categories like laser tech, armor sets 2, and room whatever?

I don't know how much sense I'm making, but I keep hitting roadblocks with research.  Despite capturing and interrogating every variation of unit I come across.  And disassembling my 10th gauss/laser/plasma weapon.  I understand locking things behind the "gates" like you have, but after a certain point, wouldn't they be able to use figure some things out thru simple experimentation?  Like, I have HUNDREDS (being literal here) of energy weapon parts and the gauss equivalent (name escapes me atm).  My Brainers are well past the point (and it kind of talks about this point in some of the research reports, too, so it fits lore-wise) where they can break down that singular component and figure out how it works and how to make it.  Even if it's just thru pure numbers.

It's entirely possible I'm just missing some piece of the puzzle.  RNG really REALLY hates me.  Always has.  But I can't interrogate anything I capture anymore, and that includes things like Guildmasters, and yet I have maybe 1/4th of the armors and 1/8th of the weapons unlocked.  Obviously when the wiki becomes more complete, this would be a moot point, but until then, I am SERIOUSLY stuck.

Offline Yglorba

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Tech Tree questions
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 12:30:04 pm »
Have you gotten the "Back to School", "School Graduation", and "Higher Studies" research projects?  Those are the core ones that lock off major portions of the tech tree.  Check the requirements for whatever the next one is on the tree viewer and figure out what you're missing.

Note that if you have "Plotting" but not "Pillow Book", then the next step is to manufacture a Pillow Book (which requires a Library) and research it.  Many people get stuck here.  You can continue to create and research pillow books to get a wide variety of techs.

Diplomacy is also vital (you'll need it for School Graduation), since you need it to interrogate and break people, necessary for many research paths.

You might also look at the requirements for "Laser Weapons Construction" and figure out what you're missing from there, if that's what you're aiming for.

Also note that there are many weapons you will never be able to assemble (you're, ultimately, pirates, not an international government organization.)  I don't think there's any way to ever be able to build your own personal-scale Gauss weapons, for instance.  You're pirates; some things have to be looted.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 12:42:36 pm by Yglorba »