Author Topic: Manufacturing for money ?  (Read 7857 times)

Offline AncientSion

• Colonel
  • Ave Caesar, morituri te salutant.
    • View Profile
Manufacturing for money ?
« on: April 10, 2016, 11:04:41 am »
What else, besides X-Grog can be manufacted for a money sureply ?
Durathread Armour desc reads it can be sold good, too. Comparing the stats, it seems to yield slightly more money per manhour than X-Grog, but it also requires Durathread Mesh which im unsure if it has other uses.

Offline karadoc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Manufacturing for money ?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 02:13:41 pm »
Lots of things can be manufactured for money. One way to get a sense of how much money you'll make is to set it to build an endless amount with auto-sell turned on - the manufacturing job screen will tell you how much money it will make per month.

Generally working, X-Grog is a good default option; but there are some things with special requirements that are worth a lot more. Most of the home cooked food and grog is pretty profitable...

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 06:38:01 pm »
This brings up a very good topic.   I plan to set up a profitability table on the online bootypedia.
I have a Google sheet that I'm currently using, but it's too rough for publication. 
Early on apple wine (Chateau ) can make much more than xgrog.  Now, however, they are even more valuable because they are needed for rum too.  My rum kits are slowly disappearing due to their new consumable  status.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 09:45:49 pm »
Xgrog is pretty good because it has no components. Early in the game components are a rare commodity. Even late game some things that sell very you just can't afford to spend the parts.

Offline sambojin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 08:00:43 am »
Apples and Château la Mort is amazing if you find the apples. I'm pretty sure that when you get apples, you get a lot now (at least with OXCE+ 2.9). 80-99 apples at a time seems to be normal.

I didn't even realize Finely Distilled Rum needed apples, I thought it was just for the research towards it. Rum is amazing though.

Plus, X-grog it a perfectly acceptable substitute on a mission. It never runs out (unless you really need more than 30 of each "medicine"). It also requires nothing but time. So you'll never run out of medication. Works better too! (bigger heals, more stamina, etc).

I'd love to see that manufacturing table though. Even if it means the nerf bat gets brought out on some things.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 09:45:02 am by sambojin »

Offline BetaSpectre

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 03:51:18 pm »
Rum is still useful as medkits they don't weigh too much and all hands can be offered them. They're basically medikits for all intents and purposes if less healthy.

Apples sell for good amounts, you could also sell food. Though for the most part it depends on how often you go out to gather materials. When you get the Mint you could still run out of stuff to sell if you decided not to raid constantly.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 08:48:03 pm »
Ok, I'm going to jam the link in here for my google Sheet for Profitability analysis.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DdY9WTogzAWUKkO-svaqqEexOliXE4yVRsVlhV40MJg

I've updated it to some of the 98B items like Pimpcraft, Cave Hunts, and Hellerium Distilling.

I've not done any work with Ship construction, but I think its a great idea if someone would like to tackle it.  ;)
Overall, I use column "Q" which is profitability per hour, as my benchmark.

X-Grog makes $22.50 per hour, and anything that makes more than that is probably worthwhile.
It can get tricky to manage the figures for items that have multiple components  and multiple outputs like Cave Hunts so I have altered the sales price formulas and component formulas to account for those.

I have some columns for labor/hour cost as well as facility/per hour costs.  The Facility/Hour is deceptive in that it only accounts for a single runt (730 hours/mo) which is unrealistic.

I'd love more discussion on what should be published to the Bootypedia page and how far down the math vortex this number crunching should go. :)

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
  • No range like point blank range.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 09:16:37 pm »
You can also include ore smelting and
Spoiler:
plastasteel production, 25 metal, 25 chemicals, $50000, 3500 work hours, 50 PS as result.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 09:41:32 pm »
You can also include ore smelting and
Spoiler:
plastasteel production, 25 metal, 25 chemicals, $50000, 3500 work hours, 50 PS as result.

Yeah, thats good. I like the math on smelting: $24.29/hour!  :)

Spoiler:
And wow!  $41.07/hour on Plasta steel!  You'd need a lot of infrastructure, and its not quite as profitable as minting, but a very nice substitute for X-Grog down the road!

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 12:22:51 am »
Very nice. Could there perhaps be an additional entries for the net profit of multistage forgery. Silver>purple>blue>red.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 12:27:12 am »
Very nice. Could there perhaps be an additional entries for the net profit of multistage forgery. Silver>purple>blue>red.

I worked this out earlier.  I ended up using multiple sheets and its a bit klugey.

Let me just point out this thread from my discussion at that time:

"Master of Mint"

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 12:37:24 am »
AH cool thks.

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 01:56:57 pm »
Ok, I'm going to jam the link in here for my google Sheet for Profitability analysis.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DdY9WTogzAWUKkO-svaqqEexOliXE4yVRsVlhV40MJg

I've updated it to some of the 98B items like Pimpcraft, Cave Hunts, and Hellerium Distilling.

I've not done any work with Ship construction, but I think its a great idea if someone would like to tackle it.  ;)
Overall, I use column "Q" which is profitability per hour, as my benchmark.

X-Grog makes $22.50 per hour, and anything that makes more than that is probably worthwhile.
It can get tricky to manage the figures for items that have multiple components  and multiple outputs like Cave Hunts so I have altered the sales price formulas and component formulas to account for those.

I have some columns for labor/hour cost as well as facility/per hour costs.  The Facility/Hour is deceptive in that it only accounts for a single runt (730 hours/mo) which is unrealistic.

I'd love more discussion on what should be published to the Bootypedia page and how far down the math vortex this number crunching should go. :)

Check the formula for Cell J22.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 03:23:15 pm »
Check the formula for Cell J22.

Yeah this is one of those examples where there are more than one or two products.  J22 just reflects I22 which is the custom math for the total of all the products from a cave hunt:

Rare Earth Elements
Mutant Meat x8
Chitin Plates x2

which is (from I22)
=(1*200)+(8*400)+(2*3000)
or

But if my math is wrong or I missing something, please let me know! :)

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 10:26:02 pm »
^Cool. Glad to know that it was deliberate.