aliens

Author Topic: Add extra ruleset functions (# of uses) to psi amp, mind probes, other items  (Read 9687 times)

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Just a ruleset suggestion I think would be useful: give the ability to limit the number of uses (like the medi-kit has) to other items as well. Medi-kits can be used 10 times only per mission and then it's useless until next mission. I think the same functionality could be useful for other items. I want to use it for the psi-amp (make it one time use) and I'm sure there are custom items in mods that could make use of this functionality as well.

Just another tool in the battle to balance psi. If you mod psi amps to be heavy, difficult to manufacture and one time use and you have to use psi very strategically.

Related suggestions:

2) Allow maxRange value in item ruleset to be applicable to mind probes and psi amps as well. This already is in OXCE and I think it's a nice feature (costing stun/HP/morale/energy is useful too) and I assume it's not major to add the option, but I might be naive. LOS already does this indirectly, but maxRange would allow to use it through walls and make even more limited range if desired.

3) If transferring between bases, stay in psi training if there is a psi lab at the new base with an open spot.

PS - If any of these suggestions are already doable now, I apologize and if someone could explain to me I'd appreciate it. I tested with requiring psi amp amo and clipSize 1, and maxRange but it didn't work as intended. I've been playing the nightlies as well as OXC extended, but I don't think the first or third suggestion can currently be done in either.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 02:03:38 am by Countdown3 »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
`maxRange` is implemeted by "soft cap", all attacks have configurable reduction of power and you then have range where power is 0 or less. This have good gameplay effect that allow you to break weak minded enemies form half of the map but breaking ethernals need point black range to be effective.

Offline Orz

• Colonel
  • (aka Illamasqua)
    • View Profile
I'd definitely want this too in OXC, especially having separate costs for Panic & MC (I always wanted to use Panic but had not reason to against MC). And yes, maxRange is also another nice feature. Even better: unlimited range with dropoff accuracy by distance.

I'd also maybe add the option to make aliens use psi only as long as they spot you on their turn (like it works for X-Com player), but that'll probably be too much handicap on the poor aliens maybe?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
I'd definitely want this too in OXC, especially having separate costs for Panic & MC (I always wanted to use Panic but had not reason to against MC). And yes, maxRange is also another nice feature. Even better: unlimited range with dropoff accuracy by distance.

This exactly what I did in Extended, each attack have separate cost and power have custom reduction by range.

Offline Cooper

• Colonel
  • Chryssalids are awesome
    • View Profile
give the ability to limit the number of uses (like the medi-kit has)
+1

Or make it consume ammo, then the ammo could cost a lot to manufacture.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
+1

Or make it consume ammo, then the ammo could cost a lot to manufacture.
Or require extraction from live psychic aliens  8)

I made a mod where building a psi-amp requires live aliens (not directly, but through some substance extraction) to limit the availability, but having to extract ammo would be great. Do you "waste" your psi-ammo on the mutons? They won't give anything back so you might not have it later when you really need it.. but then, that might save sergeant James there who's got a promising career.. And then when you meet ethereals, the gloves are off, let everybody blow everybody's brains out.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Do you "waste" your psi-ammo on the mutons? They won't give anything back so you might not have it later when you really need it.. but then, that might save sergeant James there who's got a promising career..
Yes, this is exactly the type of situation I like creating. You have to weigh the pros and cons of the decision. In my current playthrough I'm using self imposed psi rules of only 3 amps per mission and 1 time use each (basically what I'd like to be able to impose in the ruleset).

I like it as I'm put in the situation, "Do I use my psi now to save this guy or do I save it for when I storm the command center and will probably really need it." I've had fun using it this way rather than vanilla play where there is no reason not to use it every turn.

Offline Cooper

• Colonel
    • View Profile
I made a mod where building a psi-amp requires live aliens (not directly, but through some substance extraction) to limit the availability, but having to extract ammo would be great.

Agree! Then you could manufacture, say 5 ammo for each psi captured alien.

The solution I use in my mod is to require a psi suit to do effective psi attacks, and the psi suit costs extracted substance from a couple live psi aliens to manufacture (and the suit is not recoverable). This combined with requiring line of sight for the psi amp makes doing psi attacks quite risky, because you have a lot to loose if you get killed.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
The solution I use in my mod is to require a psi suit to do effective psi attacks, and the psi suit costs extracted substance from a couple live psi aliens to manufacture (and the suit is not recoverable).
I like this idea, might have to try it out. Would you mind telling me what values in the rulesets you change to make psi effectiveness dependent on armor? I looked again and couldn't figure out what could do that.

Thanks!

Offline Cooper

• Colonel
    • View Profile
I like this idea, might have to try it out. Would you mind telling me what values in the rulesets you change to make psi effectiveness dependent on armor? I looked again and couldn't figure out what could do that.

Thanks!

I simply do this:

armors:
  - type: STR_PSI_SUIT
    stats:
      psiSkill: 50

soldiers:
  - type: STR_SOLDIER
    maxStats:
      psiSkill: 1
    statCaps:
      psiSkill: 25

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
Things I would like to have for psi amp:
- Different types of psi attack to replace the overpowered MC. For example psi disrupt, freeze the alien now (no reaction fire) and/or on their turn. MC berserk, target is guaranteed to go berserk. Could be used by the aliens as well.
- Option to limit effectiveness of MCed aliens. Like MCed aliens have reduced TU (they move slower when you control them) and/or reduced accuracy. Could scale with psi skill (higher skill means controlled aliens move faster). Options for limits on what you can do with controlled aliens (like only see through their eyes, only turn and no move, move but no shooting, no access to inventory).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
- Different types of psi attack to replace the overpowered MC. For example psi disrupt, freeze the alien now (no reaction fire) and/or on their turn. MC berserk, target is guaranteed to go berserk. Could be used by the aliens as well.

Definitely, but that's doable already. You can give various effects to weapons and make them depend on Psi Strength, Psi Skill or Psi Power.

- Option to limit effectiveness of MCed aliens. Like MCed aliens have reduced TU (they move slower when you control them) and/or reduced accuracy. Could scale with psi skill (higher skill means controlled aliens move faster). Options for limits on what you can do with controlled aliens (like only see through their eyes, only turn and no move, move but no shooting, no access to inventory).

I think a good mechanics would be a formula that measures the level of success for a psionic vs. victim's resistance and reduce TUs accordingly, so that a very high result would mean no TU loss at all, while a barely-made-it success would only give you like 20%.

And it would be really neat to have the alien psi weapon unhardcoded, so that we could have aliens with Psi Skill but unable to do Panic/Mind Control, and maybe with some other effects (like psionic blasts that do damage, for instance).

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Its already doable in extended. You can add buildin weapon that is psi-amp and unit will use it.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Its already doable in extended. You can add buildin weapon that is psi-amp and unit will use it.

Yes, but wouldn't the unit also be able to launch standard psi attacks?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Yes, but wouldn't the unit also be able to launch standard psi attacks?
No, if you add psi-amp it will replace standard attack.