Author Topic: Door open TU cost  (Read 5808 times)

Offline Zharik1999

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Door open TU cost
« on: May 12, 2012, 10:03:52 pm »
Sorry if this question have been asked or if it's silly. As I can see he door opening system is the same as in the Terror From The Deep and opening or closing doors costs no TU. Just asking won't it be more realistic and closer to the original (as I remember the additional cost of opening the door was added to the complete cost when you moved into building or UFO) if it costs for example 4 TU? (like in UFO Extender)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 10:33:33 am by Zharik1999 »

Volutar

Re: Door open TU cost
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 08:34:07 am »
Door opening is a very difficult matter, because of different logic when going with pathfinder and when opening doors manually.

Offline Zharik1999

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 10:35:49 am »
So, determination of the cost of opening/closing doors as zero helps somehow with it?

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 01:59:53 pm »
I think you got a point there. Walking up a door, then opening it manually and then continue through the door should cost the same amount of TUs than clicking behind the door and letting the game open the door automatically.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 02:08:12 pm by Daiky »

Offline Zharik1999

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 02:37:46 pm »
So, it will be great if opening doors costs something ;)

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 09:59:04 am »
I remember there was a discussion some time ago regarding this very issue.. but I can't find it right now...

Maybe someone gets luckier at searching :)

Offline Zharik1999

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 03:13:43 pm »
So, will it cost? :)

Offline snozy

• Squaddie
  • Mutons everywhere!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 01:50:25 pm »
Sorry for bumping an old thread.

I'll start by saying I don't know how Time Units are measured. I think this question needs answering--> How do X-COM operatives open doors if they're carrying a two-handed weapon or even if they're carrying a pistol, what about a door that might possibly be locked anytime anywhere? Yes, all doors in the game just open for you anytime(even garage doors and UFO doors), so I can definitely see an operative kicking a door open every time, because it's an aggressive way to get a door opened quick and without needing worry if it's locked or unlocked.

I'm just speculating here. If X-COM operatives kick a door open, it would also consume some energy too. Also I think since UFO doors have a slider sound, then lets just say UFO doors open automatically for you because it has a sensor that detects movement. It shouldn't cost any TUs.

Kicking closed doors open should be standard procedure.

So here's a suggestion: Change the sound of a door opening normally to a sound of BAM! A door getting kicked open! Now that's being assertive! How about it?

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 03:26:36 pm »
it appears to me that the average soldier probably has four arms, considering that he can wield two heavy weapons without any penalties... :D

I always assumed that the doors were somehow manually opened, not kicked in. but for the normal doors, your suggestion isn't all that bad... then again, once a door has been kicked open, it probably won't be needed to kick again, a push would be enough. that would mean we would have to have to types of closed doors: "closed" and "closed but already kicked in once". that appears to be an invitation to bugs (by introducing an unnecessary level of complexity).