aliens

Author Topic: Bleeding soldier indicator idea. [Modder Wanted]  (Read 8397 times)

Offline JosAnt05

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Bleeding soldier indicator idea. [Modder Wanted]
« on: March 18, 2016, 03:32:48 pm »
I am new on forum and don't know if here is where is suposed to post. If not, please tell me where it should be.

First of all I must say that I have no skills on programing or any else but i have lot of (I think good) ideas that I guess shouldn't be hard to do but I don't know how to do. So I put them here and if somebody feels that they deserve a chance he could gander it. Also I am not english native, so sometimes maybe say strange things or missunderstand others.

My first idea is an addon to the battlescape:

Problem: Sometimes a missed shot hit on a soldier we are not seeing (or when a explosive blows up and stun half squad) , then he begin to bleed but we don't know.

Solution: While one or more soldiers are bleeding, whe see a small square flashing on the corner (like the (1, 2, 3 ... squares that means aliens). But this square could white with a red cross. And when we stop the bleeding with a medkit the square dissapear.

Aditional Feature:: There could be several red cross squares as many soldiers wounded and if we clicked on it then the camera would center on the stuned/blleeding soldier. Like the "InSightAlien" squares.

sube imagenes

I hope this would be a good idea and easy to do enough for experience moders.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 08:20:14 pm by JosAnt05 »

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bleeding soldier indicator idea.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 03:49:14 pm »
Welcome, and this is just the place.

This would be helpful info, because at the moment the quickest way to check if somebody's bleeding is to open the soldier stat screen, and click the side arrow (or hit TAB) as many times as you have troops, while looking at the "fatal wounds" stat. It's indeed quite awkward, especially as it loops back, so you typically click 25 times to be sure you scanned your 14 soldiers  ;D

Would you show it too for unconscious troops ? It would remove a bit of pressure, because players typically have to rush with a medkit to see the damage, unless they know how to use the stat screen as above.

Offline psyHoTik

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 03:50:47 pm »
+1

I like the idea. In fact I've just realized how much I missed such feature :)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 04:40:51 pm »
This would be helpful info, because at the moment the quickest way to check if somebody's bleeding is to open the soldier stat screen, and click the side arrow (or hit TAB) as many times as you have troops, while looking at the "fatal wounds" stat. It's indeed quite awkward, especially as it loops back, so you typically click 25 times to be sure you scanned your 14 soldiers  ;D

Would you show it too for unconscious troops ? It would remove a bit of pressure, because players typically have to rush with a medkit to see the damage, unless they know how to use the stat screen as above.

I have added a fatal wound indicator (including unconscious troops) into OXCE+ some time ago (shortcut Ctrl+W).

I use it at the beginning of every turn to see if anyone needs medical attention.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 04:47:11 pm by Meridian »

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 05:36:10 pm »
Basically, what the original game lacks is a screen with list of soldiers. To quickly see who is wounded, who has lots of TU left. It would make things much more manageable once you have the ultimate ship.

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 05:39:34 pm »
Basically, what the original game lacks is a screen with list of soldiers. To quickly see who is wounded, who has lots of TU left. It would make things much more manageable once you have the ultimate ship.

Has anyone taken a look at making something like this? I could imagine a button to open a list displaying a bunch of soldier stats, each one sortable. You sort by the one you want (and the list remembers this), and you can click on the soldier's name to close to list, zoom the camera to and select that soldier.

Seems like a bit of work, but pretty straight forward to do.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 05:56:02 pm »
Variable column names (because languages) and variable resolution tend to make simple things complicated  :-\

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 06:19:38 pm »
The way Martial Arts training and some other screens in OXCE+ were enhanced could be an inspiration.

1. if you need many small columns, you can have short headings with tooltips (e.g. Stat improvement screen)
2. you can sort by almost everything (e.g. Craft > crew equipment screen)
3. you can have a "dynamic" column, which displays the currently selected attribute (e.g. Craft > armor equipment screen)

etc.

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 07:23:52 pm »
I have added a fatal wound indicator (including unconscious troops) into OXCE+ some time ago (shortcut Ctrl+W).

I use it at the beginning of every turn to see if anyone needs medical attention.
Aside from that, Extended version (>2.9) have option of changing unit sprite based on unit state. You can made that bleeding unit looks like bleeding unit (or if you don't have enough artist skill you can add red dot in corner of unit sprite).

Offline JosAnt05

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 08:18:39 pm »
After readeding your posts I agree with the idea that stunt soldier shouldn't have the warning, i haven't thinked on the "rush with medkit" or "carry stunt man" elements. So it is a good point. Also the idea of have a major table with a list is good and the idea of have a command to click a key and receive a warning is good, but the point of the "red cross" idea is to have and automated warning.

Now I wait to see if any moder would want to take a chance about this idea. And as I can't do myself I will try to change the title of the post.

Thanks all for posts and ideas.

Offline redv

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bleeding soldier indicator idea. [Modder Wanted]
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 09:57:40 pm »
Is the health bar not blinks when unit has fatal wounds?

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 11:07:41 pm »
It's a custom development by Meridian, based on OpenXcom Extended.
Edit: link : https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4187.0.html
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 11:10:09 pm by yrizoud »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2016, 06:52:18 am »
Is the health bar not blinks when unit has fatal wounds?
It's a custom development by Meridian, based on OpenXcom Extended.
Edit: link : https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4187.0.html

no, that's been in the nightly for a while.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 06:53:49 am by Warboy1982 »

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 03:26:03 pm »
Sorry :-X It's where I saw it first, and I didn't expect it to be in the main branch. According to the docs, the contribution is by redv.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 11:28:38 pm »

So, I made something like this.
Just instead of red crosses, it shows the usual boxes with numbers... this time in light blue colour.