aliens

Author Topic: Newbie in need of advices!  (Read 12719 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Newbie in need of advices!
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 05:03:45 pm »
Explosion height 0 is kinda silly, grenades do not go off in a flat manner. :) That's why I set it to 2, because it makes explosions roughly spherical.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 05:12:24 pm »
Explosion height 0 is kinda silly, grenades do not go off in a flat manner. :) That's why I set it to 2, because it makes explosions roughly spherical.

+1 , definitely agree and agree to the point that it works both ways for and against you.

Offline dashyr

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 06:45:34 pm »
I tend to think a bit like the other guy said. Yes it is an easier way to deal with cyberdiscs. But dosent mean it is easy when your skyranger is surrounded of cyberdiscs. Also, its a lot of TU invested just for one enemy so there is a price. I could simply shoot a heavy rocket and be done with it. Relaying explosive is not realistic. But i think its a fun  mechanic and add a bit of silliness to a game that would be boring if taken too seriously.

Offline dashyr

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 06:47:40 pm »
+1 , definitely agree and agree to the point that it works both ways for and against you.

But even more punishing durinjg terror missions.  wich is the main reason I do not change this. But ill sure do once im good enough.

Offline Zyzyfer

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 01:10:52 am »
Are you using a grenade launcher mod or something? Because throwing grenades should improve throwing accuracy, not firing. You're the first person I see making that claim...
I am using Soldiers Diaries; Alternate smoke, & Arsenal Expanded mods. Get improvements to both  FA (when a kill is made) & TA. 
In fact my first grenadier has now a much safer sniper role as he went from about 40 FA to over 100 in about 3 months (so I had to appoint new grenadier for the job)

Offline dashyr

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2016, 01:15:42 am »
Another question here! How much time do I have to complete the game? (By that I mean at wich point it becomes really hard. Wich month?)

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2016, 06:42:23 am »
As far as I know you have an unlimited amount of time. The alien difficulty ramps up somewhere towards the end of the first year I think when Ethereals show up (don't quote me, I can't remember exactly when they first appear).

However, game difficulty plummets as you develop power/flying suits, strong psi soldiers, soldiers with way better stats, and an endless supply of cash. So depending on the rate of your research and progress, it might get a bit harder, but then can do a quick turn around and get too easy.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2016, 08:55:44 am »
Are you using a grenade launcher mod or something? Because throwing grenades should improve throwing accuracy, not firing. You're the first person I see making that claim...
I am using Soldiers Diaries; Alternate smoke, & Arsenal Expanded mods. Get improvements to both  FA (when a kill is made) & TA. 
In fact my first grenadier has now a much safer sniper role as he went from about 40 FA to over 100 in about 3 months (so I had to appoint new grenadier for the job)

I was curious about this so tested it out. Turns out grenade use does increase FA (as well as TA). I started a campaign just as a test and had a guy get some grenade kills (never even touched a gun) and his FA went up. This is by design from the original game though. Quoting from UFOpaedia:
Area-effect weapons (i.e., grenades, rockets, Blaster Bombs, and even Stun Bombs) also count toward Firing Accuracy experience. You will score a "hit" for every alien within the blast's radius, regardless of whether they were hurt.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2016, 06:51:40 pm »
So throwing a grenade increases TA and killing aliens with blasts increases FA so you get both? That's messed up... killing multiple aliens with a rocket getting you more FA is fine, but not for thrown explosives. That should train TA only. I wonder if meridian touched this in his rework of xp.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2016, 07:59:51 pm »
I agree it doesn't seem right. Maybe the original vanilla code couldn't differentiate between damage done by shooting vs throwing? If someone added an option correcting this I would definitely use it.