Author Topic: Odd »go to last known position«  (Read 6265 times)

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Odd »go to last known position«
« on: February 27, 2016, 02:08:26 pm »
You all know the order for crafts, to got to the last known position of a ufo, when in pursuit of it. It used to be exactly what the description promised, that the craft goes to that position, where the ufo was seen last time. When doing so now with current nightly (249101d), it's not like this any more. It apparently directs the pursuing craft to a place, somewhere else. I presume, it's the position, where the ufo is in fact trying to get, until changing course the next time (usually the point, where it slows down next time). Can someone confirm that behavior? I mean: I don't mind knowing, where exactly they are going, but it's not supposed to be like that, I think. ;)

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Odd »go to last known position«
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 04:11:21 pm »
Did you accidentally activate the option "Predict UFO trajectory". In that case i think it is possible that the game uses the last known position of possible intercept.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 07:38:10 pm »
That's quite possible. However, that'd still be kind of strange, as you exactly, will know the ufo's destination. In case of battleships on route to building an alien base, you will most likely find the base by that.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 07:54:24 pm »
That's quite possible. However, that'd still be kind of strange, as you exactly, will know the ufo's destination. In case of battleships on route to building an alien base, you will most likely find the base by that.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't go to the "UFO destination".

It goes to an estimated meeting point based on same speed and heading. And even if the UFO was going along a straight line with constant speed, it wouldn't give you the destination point (only an imaginary line on which the destination point is... for which you btw. don't need any features, your brain is enough). For all other UFOs (majority doesn't fly in a straight line), it gives you very close to nothing.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 08:52:45 pm »
Well, I just tested it with another ufo type. I lost it from radar, chose to go to the last known position, and let it wait there. Later on, the ufo reappeared and went exactly to the place, where my avenger was already waiting. It didn't land there, but it did make it's course change and speed change at the exact same position. From my point of view, that's a little bit more information, than could be taken from mere trajectory. I know, what the intention is, but it works a little bit too good on that part. At least that's how I feel about it.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 09:23:58 pm »
Well, I just tested it with another ufo type. I lost it from radar, chose to go to the last known position, and let it wait there. Later on, the ufo reappeared and went exactly to the place, where my avenger was already waiting. It didn't land there, but it did make it's course change and speed change at the exact same position. From my point of view, that's a little bit more information, than could be taken from mere trajectory. I know, what the intention is, but it works a little bit too good on that part. At least that's how I feel about it.

OK, I will check the source code later and confirm or disprove this assumption.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 11:43:08 pm »
How long is »later«? ;)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 05:48:57 pm »
You turned on the option for the pilots to be smarter and then are surprised that they're smarter? :P The "Last Known Position" just keeps the craft on its last course, there's no fancy foreknowledge involved.
UFOs fly in a series of constant-speed-straight-line paths, so calculating an intersection point is trivial. Unless they outrun you or change paths, you will get there.
The Avenger is faster than most UFOs, so it's pretty likely it'll be able to catch up with the UFO before it changes paths. So yes the option is super cheesy late-game, but that's what's on the tagline.

Offline marcole

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 12:39:20 am »
I haven't checked this previously but isn't it fixed already (commit 3d23d59) ?

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 08:40:43 am »
I haven't checked this previously but isn't it fixed already (commit 3d23d59) ?
Yes, this was fixed: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4522.0.html

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 11:12:49 am »
My thanks to the devs! :)