Author Topic: [Suggestion/Request] Alien bases numeration. Combat shields  (Read 7239 times)

Offline Timofeus

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
[Suggestion/Request] Alien bases numeration. Combat shields
« on: February 26, 2016, 07:49:58 pm »
Hi, a couple of ideas that came to my head:

1. I noticed some kind of exploit that allows a player to find out if other alien bases are present on the planet.
For example if he sees a base like "Alien base - 3", and it is the first base he discovers, there are obviously two more somewhere.
Apparently, game numerates alien bases in order of "foundation", not in order of the player discovering them - which would be more realistic.

2. This is more like mod request - why on earth (he-he) xcom operatives cannot use an instrument that all special teams use for ages - combat shields?? (or ballistic shields or whatever)
Almost every suicadal entree through UFO door adds a grey hair on my head. Adding some kind of front protection could greatly increase the survival rate in such situation, don't you agree?
To keep the balance there can be added some limitation, like sertain amount of shield in transport or/and, for expamle, the stand with shields occupies a place for 1 solgier (weighing a lot / giving penalty to aim, etc.).
Shields themselves, of course should not be a panacea, being able to withstand only sertain amount of damage.
Also sientist can research reinforced shield after alien alloys.

Thanks for your time.

Offline mrxian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion/Request] Alien bases numeration. Combat shields
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 08:33:05 pm »
I looked into making a combat shields mod, and I found no way to alter stats like defense by items held in your hand.

You could make an armor that has a lot more frontal defense, but to balance it out you'd have to reduce other stats to balance it out, which is possible, but after thinking about it, I decided that that's not what I wanted to do so I lost interest.
It would be rather simple to do, too, so if you want to, have a crack at it.

Offline Timofeus

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 09:21:52 pm »
I looked into making a combat shields mod, and I found no way to alter stats like defense by items held in your hand.
Well, maybe developers will add this feature some day.

Offline Antan

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 09:29:47 pm »
It is something on my list I want to add to the game after I learn more about programming. It seems obvious there would be a shield you could carry that could withstand some punishment. IMO the shield would have hp and degrade each time its hit. They would also be very heavy and not allow you to use a weapon when carrying one or carry much else. Also they would take up more space and cut off some of the LOS if behind them.

Might have to change the rules where Aliens throw more grenades especially at big shields.

Antan

Add to wish list. Perhaps I will complete my opus before I die...

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 09:31:14 pm »
I agree the base base numeration seems like a sensible change to make.

Offline mrxian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 10:25:22 pm »
Yeah, base name numbers should have a random factor in them.

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
  • Catching the feral kitten hiding in my rubish bin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 10:33:40 pm »
Personally it would be more realistic if they were numbered as you find them.

IE: first detected base numbered #1 even if its number 3, Second base detected numbered #2 thought its number 7 ect.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 12:01:03 am »
About shields, they can be nicely implemented by using Openxcom Extended's features, and making it a designated armor which blocks out one of the character's hand. This way, there is no weird abuse by carrying two shields, or dropping it at end of turn to avoid penalties, etc.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 01:04:20 am »
X-Piratez's full plate armor is a great implementation of the shield. But it is still a downside to not be able to move the shield around. It is stuck to one hand. It would be neat to have a shield item which you can keep on your back some times and then use it when coming under fire. (dropping it at the end of a turn would mean no protection against enemies firing at you in their turn.. So I guess that makes it only good against reaction fire?).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 05:02:03 pm »
Actually a shield is not the only stat-changing item that would be nice to have. Another would be, for example, night vision goggles - although they would probably require defining a new slot (a special one, with items restricted to a certain type).
Actually, the possibility of defining new slots for a specified item type (defined in the item entry) would be way fat.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 05:08:34 pm »
Both (already existing) shield and (not yet implemented) goggles are actually not real items... you cannot take them off or put them on. They are part of the armor itself and only visually look like items (and block inventory slots).

There is no support for real items that change stats as far as I know. Not in vanilla and also not in OXCE.

Offline redv

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 06:53:21 pm »
1. It's a known issue in Xcom. And bug repeated in OpenXcom by design.
You can look at voting for this: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2799.0.html
You can fix this bug in your own build: https://github.com/redv/OpenXcom/commit/f7406431b4f251e59d893f79970a31a693613293
(all lines with the "STR_ALIEN_BASE" string)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 06:58:39 pm »
Both (already existing) shield and (not yet implemented) goggles are actually not real items... you cannot take them off or put them on. They are part of the armor itself and only visually look like items (and block inventory slots).

There is no support for real items that change stats as far as I know. Not in vanilla and also not in OXCE.

Goggles are sort of implemented in OXCE as the nightops armor in XPiratez, an armor that sees further in the dark. But like the shield, if you put it on, you can't take them off except by changing armors.

You can look at voting for this: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2799.0.html
You can fix this bug in your own build: https://github.com/redv/OpenXcom/commit/f7406431b4f251e59d893f79970a31a693613293

I guess the aliens have big "Welcome to Terra-Primus/Secondus/Tertius" signs at their bases, to greet the alien tourists that come on supply ships.. Maybe initially for Aliens, it's all just a safari: Go to that planet and hunt the local fauna for fun.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 07:57:46 pm »

Interesting that most people seemed to be voting for numbering them by discovering rather than founding. I thought Arthanor said it very well in that thread:

I would mind if it provided extremely relevant information you have no reason to have access to, like which base it is from the aliens' perspective. I would then find myself looking for bases I shouldn't know about and thinking: "I really shouldn't be exploiting this", or having to refrain from taking into account information that stares me in the face. That breaks the immersion and enjoyment in the game.