aliens

Author Topic: Original Alien Screams.  (Read 6056 times)

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Original Alien Screams.
« on: April 29, 2012, 10:29:49 pm »
I just imaged my original 1.44MB floppies for X-COM, and I was wondering if there was plans at some point to incorporate dual loading; like having a folder in the OpenXCOM directory labelled ORIGINAL_SCREAMS; and the option to toggle between it and the later versions which some people say are not as good.

Offline Zharik1999

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Original Alien Screams.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 10:37:22 pm »
Not bad idea! But for now if you want original sounds from 1.0 and 1.2 Dos versions you can use this patch https://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/index.php?dlid=796. Works fine with OpenXcom.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 11:21:22 pm »
You can just copy the DOS 1.0-1.2 sound files and OpenXcom will use them, no patching required.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 11:17:19 am »
You could also probably use generic mod enabler software. There are various ones out there. I used JSGME (jonesoft generic mod enabler) for silent hunter. They can be used for all sorts of games, because the only thing they do is creating a backup of your original game files and copy the files in your mod's directory over the originals. For the user it is just checking/unchecking a tickbox. It probably needs a bit of configuration, telling the software where the game data folder is.
(as far as I recall, because it has been a while, and I haven't tested it with other games than silent hunter)

Offline Zharik1999

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 01:18:14 pm »
SupSuper, I've tried your solution but I got nothing :( When I copy original DOS sounds and music to SOUND subfolder I got nothing when I start OpenXcom(even when I rename SOUND1 and SOUND2 files in SAMPLE and SAMPLE2) What am I doing wrong?

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 03:56:27 am »
SupSuper, I've tried your solution but I got nothing :( When I copy original DOS sounds and music to SOUND subfolder I got nothing when I start OpenXcom(even when I rename SOUND1 and SOUND2 files in SAMPLE and SAMPLE2) What am I doing wrong?
I fixed a crash when loading the DOS sounds, it should work now. Just put INTRO.CAT, SOUND1.CAT and SOUND2.CAT (without renaming!) in your OpenXcom data\SOUND folder, without any SAMPLE.CAT (or those will be used instead).

However they will sound crappier then in original DOSBox due to various differences in old sound playback. Closest you can get is changing line 69 in Engine/Game.cpp from:
Code: [Select]
if (Mix_OpenAudio(22050, AUDIO_S16SYS, 2, 1024) != 0)To:
Code: [Select]
if (Mix_OpenAudio(8000, AUDIO_S8, 2, 1024) != 0)But it does not work on all systems, so might be better to just use the sound patch.

Offline Zharik1999

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 03:09:31 pm »
So, these sounds seem to sound a little more closer to the original, but there are a lot of clips :( I would like to make changes, that you've mentioned above in the Engine/Game.cpp, but I'm really far from modding and programming. :'( Can you explaine me how to make them?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 09:59:01 pm by Zharik1999 »