aliens

Author Topic: What program are people using to record their game footage?  (Read 9439 times)

Offline Antan

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
What program are people using to record their game footage?
« on: February 24, 2016, 01:43:21 am »
Pretty straight up question. I am interested in maybe doing this for my own personal enjoyment but I know nothing about recording. My graphics card has a program I had to turn off because it would begin to record. XCOM 1.0 would then glitch and I couldn't see any graphics.

I have not tried it with the latest git.

So what programs are you guys using? Any advice or suggestions?

Antan

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: What program are people using to record their game footage?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 01:49:18 am »
OBS is known to work pretty well, but what works and what doesn't may depend entirely on the display filter you're using, specifically whether you're using software or opengl.
in general, i believe opengl is the more compatible method for most screen capture software.

i also suggest and rather strongly advise using the latest build.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 01:51:40 am »
When I was recording for my YouTube Let's Plays I used Camtasia Studio which worked pretty well for me.  Bandicam may be another fine solution, along with OBS has Warboy has suggested.

Offline dashyr

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 12:18:50 am »
Im using SimpleScreenRecorder for linux. Since I do not know if you use windows or not I thought I might mention it. Not the most attractive UI but takes very little ressources compared to some other, Been using it for years now and the only thing it lacks is a straight upload to youtube button.

Offline dashyr

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 12:45:36 am »
I remember I used XFire' recording function and it worked really well. Surprised me in fact. I got no idea how good it is now but back then I really liked it.

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 12:14:28 pm »
I just started using OBS in windows and managed to record something with software mode and window capture mode. It seems that opengl filters also work with OBS in 'game mode' only.

OBS on linux did not capture the sound for some reason.

If you have windows 10 and a new video card, there is also the option to record by pressing windows + G, I never tried it but it's a thing.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 12:45:14 pm »
We used OBS a year ago with Dioxine to record several Piratez videos and it generally went fine. But recently we tried doing the same, on the same machine and system, and it just won't work: the game screen remains black (desktop view and sound record just fine).

Can you guys think of anything we could do? Or should we use some other software? (Windows 7)

PS. No filter was used, and we fiddled with OpenGL settings - to no avail. Maybe it doesn't like two monitors?

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
  • do you want to be any of those things
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 01:15:34 pm »

Window capture works just fine.

For me, openxcom seems to send its audio through something which is not a speaker device - and so I can't actually capture it with OBS.
Fortunately my soundcard has a neat feature of dumping everything going through it to a recording channel, and so I can record that.
Unfortunately that means that I have to make the actual audio recording audible for me too so that it can be captured.

Life is nice some times.

Offline CrillFactor

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 01:43:42 pm »
my first post!

I'm a recent convert to OpenXcom and I have been livestreaming it on Twitch/Hitbox via OBS.

Window Capture works for most things, but if it suddenly doesn't, you can try Game Capture and see if it works differently. Monitor Capture is theoretically also an option if you're recording fullscreen, but I don't know how it deals with a multi-monitor setup. (It might actually be easier, because you can put OXC on one monitor, but borderless windowed, and everything else on the other.)

Part of why I appreciate OBS so much is that it's got a couple of options, even though that makes troubleshooting more complex.

My current Xcom/OBS config has OXC set to desktop resolution, Borderless, no OpenGL filters, and OBS set to Window Capture. The most common things you have to look for in trying to make these two work together, imo, are the different types of capture in OBS, and possibly disabling Aero if you're on Windows and non-fullscreen captures refuse to work.

It's also worth noting that if your system is beefy enough, you can record 720p and set the encoding bitrate to a whopping 5000k and YouTube will generally accept it for HD playback. (Or, if you livestream on Twitch at 720p, it will export to YouTube as HD regardless of your encoding bitrate.)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 08:31:06 pm »
Window capture works just fine.

No, it doesn't, apparently. I tried on my own PC; it works in the main menu, but once I click on "New Game", the screen goes black.

No idea what's going on, I have zero experience with this shit.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 08:57:55 pm »
If you're using OpenGL filters, you need Game Capture (or something like that, I don't know how it's called in OBS).

If you're not using OpenGL, Window Capture should be enough.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 09:07:18 pm »
If you're using OpenGL filters, you need Game Capture (or something like that, I don't know how it's called in OBS).

If you're not using OpenGL, Window Capture should be enough.

Thanks, Meridian, makes sense. I'll try later. (Much later. I am now physically incapable of looking at this software any longer.)

Offline Inmemorium

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 10:49:09 pm »
OpenXCOM - OBS Studio.

-desktop audio captured
-window capture on OpenXCOM

That's it.  Worked "out of the box" for me on every pc:
-Phenom II x965 with HD 6770, HD 6850, and GTX 960 for different GPUs Windows 7 Home Premium
-same as above but with an FX 6120
-Intel Atom z37xx series tablet with 1 GB RAM and built-in Intel graphics tablet Windows 10 Home 32bit
-core 2 quad q9550 with HD 4850 Windows Vista Home Premium
-Intel i7 6700hq with GTX 1060 Windows 10 Home 64
-Amd Turion x2 with x1250 on-board Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2016, 10:55:08 pm »
It really doesn't depend on the pc specs.
And yes, should work out of the box.

Offline Zyzyfer

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 04:16:39 pm »
For anyone still having issues with OBS.

I am using openxcom* display filter. I had to set up hotkeys to turn on/off recording- NUM1 & NUM2 respectively. The recording needs to be started within game prior to minimising/going windowed. Otherwise OBS recorded sound only, and gave black screen.