aliens

Author Topic: Anyone ever thought of an Aliens (1986) mod?  (Read 5088 times)

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Anyone ever thought of an Aliens (1986) mod?
« on: February 21, 2016, 05:57:14 am »
I was just doing a mission against Chrysallids recently and it made me realize how similar it would be against the Xenomorphs from Aliens. Given how much X-com's combat engine, squad-based combat, and inventory system lend itself to this kind of theme I was wondering if anyone's ever thought of it? We already have zombies gestating Chrysallids, which is similar to a Facehugger implanting a Chestburster. Enemies that explode on death are also similar to Aliens spraying acid on death. One can dream, I suppose. Besides, the Geoscape would be difficult to adapt into an Aliens setting.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: Anyone ever thought of an Aliens (1986) mod?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 01:48:58 pm »
Could be a bit boring with so few enemy types. However it also means less work in that department is needed. I'm sure one can get Aliens' sprites from somewhere.

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 02:05:25 pm »
Only thing in geoscape that is redundant is ufos because Aliens can't use spacecrafts, but then why we not add Predators? :D

I think game should focus on terror missions. Each city will be colony that need your support. Alien bases will be their nest. After some time we could introduce Predators and their ufos as new threat.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 02:29:24 pm »

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 03:13:33 pm »
Alien sprites? No problem: https://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_computer/doomalienstc/
I think better would be alter Chrysallids sprite to have more alien like features.

And for enemies. I think that first enemy you face will be smugglers. Plot should be something like that you are marines / security company send to distant colony because of some unrest. First goal will be catch all illegal trading. After some time you will encounter strange cargo of unknown origin. This will be preparation for main dish: Alien infestation. After some time and couple terror sites you will face humans again, but this time it will be Weyland-Yutani corp that dislike your disruption of their shady plans. Cherry on the top would be gust visit of Predators that can't refuse joining this mess :)

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 11:20:08 pm »
Besides that we can always take a page from AVP2 with Alien classes. We could easily invent an acid-spitting Alien or as others have mentioned human elements like smugglers or WYC or even Predators.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 12:49:50 am »
i'd be lying if i said i hadn't thought about it.
i'd do it as a series of missions set up as a string of "nextStage"s, via new battle mode, and skip the geoscape entirely.
i'd put armories and weapons caches in various maps, so the player can resupply mid-mission.
i'd tie everything together with cutscenes.
i wouldn't worry about a lack of variety of enemies in the slightest.

the only part i'd really have trouble with would be the climactic battle with the queen and the power loader.

another idea i've been toying with, which is in a fairly similar vein, would be a space hulk mod, with genestealers running around in tight corridors.

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 02:03:25 am »
another idea i've been toying with, which is in a fairly similar vein, would be a space hulk mod, with genestealers running around in tight corridors.
Space marines are done, now only enemy left to add :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 05:37:40 am »
Yeah if you do it as an intense course of missions, enemy variety is not that important. More important would be the tactical problem each mission presents to the player.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 07:26:55 am »

the only part i'd really have trouble with would be the climactic battle with the queen and the power loader.

Who said it'd have to follow the events of the movie? It could be a loose adaptation or one of the many spin-offs. There actually was an Aliens board-game complete with an electronic conversion of it to Newgrounds: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/408816

And Steam has like 2 versions of Space-Hulk on it so it can still be done X-com style https://store.steampowered.com/app/242570/ and https://store.steampowered.com/app/317620/?snr=1_5_9__205