aliens

Author Topic: New to XCOM and want some advice  (Read 18722 times)

Offline gunnar123abc

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
New to XCOM and want some advice
« on: February 04, 2016, 06:29:06 pm »
EDIT:

OK I got it to work! Thanks to all in community.

Now I would like to have help finding good mods for XCOM!

For now I think I would like some extra UFOs of any type (so it looks different inside), and also I thought to get the mod with the extra terror missions maps.

Do any of you have any recomendations or concerns? When I look at the mod portal I see lots of different mods for ufos but I am not sure which ones are best or most stable, and I wonder if the extra terror mission map one still works?

What do you guys use?

Eventually I think I will try one of the mega mods to change the experience of the game a bit, but for my first few games I do not want to do that yet.

---------------------------------------------------

So I bought XCOM on steam. I like old games, and I have watched people play this game quite a bit and I really want to try. (I can play games with high learning curves, Ive played dwarf fortress, hearts of iron 3 black ice, games with bad UI or very complex mechanics, you know the drill). I really do not want to play the newer xcoms, they to me appear as if they simply try to wow people with graphics, the real strategy and tactics are perhaps not as good or difficult.

I do have problems with working with computers sometimes though :)

Anyway, here are my questions.

Do I need to apply any patches to my game before getting OpenXcom? (I got it from Steam). I already moved it out of program files, I am used to doing this with older games.

Is it recommended to do "nightly" or "milestone"? I cannot decide which is best course of action. I want to install some mods such as extra ufo type of mods, and an extra terror missions mod. Also I do not know if one must get certain tilesets installed or if it is recommended?

I would really like recomendations as to what is the best course of action

« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 03:20:56 pm by gunnar123abc »

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: New to XCOM and want some advice
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 06:37:54 pm »
Do I need to apply any patches to my game before getting OpenXcom? (I got it from Steam). I already moved it out of program files, I am used to doing this with older games.
It's recommended, that you do use the data-fixes, see here. It helps having them.
Is it recommended to do "nightly" or "milestone"? I cannot decide which is best course of action. I want to install some mods such as extra ufo type of mods, and an extra terror missions mod. Also I do not know if one must get certain tilesets installed or if it is recommended?
Just get the necessary files from the original, all of the named ones from here. There's also a FAQ about installation.

As for the nightlies: They do have a risk of having bugs in, nobody knows about. However: The 1.0 version is known to have bugs, which have been fixed in the nightlies. Also latest mods all use the new file structure of the nightlies (so won't be able to work with 1.0, without additional work), so I'd stick to the nightlies. They also bring some new features, which are quite nice.

Offline gunnar123abc

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 06:45:23 pm »
It's recommended, that you do use the data-fixes, see here. It helps having them.Just get the necessary files from the original, all of the named ones from here. There's also a FAQ about installation.

As for the nightlies: They do have a risk of having bugs in, nobody knows about. However: The 1.0 version is known to have bugs, which have been fixed in the nightlies. Also latest mods all use the new file structure of the nightlies (so won't be able to work with 1.0, without additional work), so I'd stick to the nightlies. They also bring some new features, which are quite nice.

so what I should do is,

install the game (from steam)

then apply a patch

then get openxcom?

Offline gunnar123abc

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 06:57:55 pm »
I get confused because in the first link you show, it has me download a:

universal-patch.zip

and the readme says:

"To install, extract to your OpenXcom Data folder, overwriting every file.

If you need to patch original X-COM instead, you should check here: https://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/ufo-enemy-unknown/patches/"

And right now I am patching the ORIGINAL, not OpenXcom. So I am confused why I am being sent to install this before OpenXcom. So should I be installing this patch before installing OpenXcom?

https://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/combo-x-com-game-folder-patch/

and then I need to get openxcom,

then install the patch you listed?

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 07:01:24 pm »
I get confused because in the first link you show, it has me download a:

universal-patch.zip
Which is meant primarily for the data files, OpenXcom will use. OpenXcom will not use the binaries, nor will it use every file from the original game.
If you need to patch original X-COM instead, you should check here: https://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/ufo-enemy-unknown/patches/"

And right now I am patching the ORIGINAL, not OpenXcom. So I am confused why I am being sent to install this before OpenXcom. So should I be installing this patch before installing OpenXcom?
Nope, applying the patch mentioned first, to the data files taken from the original for OpenXcom, will be fine. And there are two parts: The actual OpenXcom, which will not run without original files (patched or unchanged) and the files taken from the original, usually referenced here as »vanilla«.

So for you, I'd advice: Copy the Steam version somewhere, for safekeeping. Delete the not needed files from them, to create an archive, which is meant strictly for OpenXcom. Patch this, and nothing else. If you want, you can backup the vanilla files first, and apply the patch afterwards, as the patch changes contents over time. This way you can be certain, you won't do anything wrong.

You will not need to change anything on the steam version, to play it. However, it might be useful, if you intend to play the steam version, as well. But in this case, I don't know, if the other patches will work properly. I, on the other hand, wouldn't care to try the steam version, at all, as OpenXcom has made some really nice changes to the interface and possibilities of movement, the steam version doesn't (and probably never will) have.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 07:04:57 pm by 7Saturn »

Offline gunnar123abc

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 07:24:30 pm »
I just cannot figure this out so I am going to make a troubleshooting thread

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4299.0.html
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 07:34:31 pm by gunnar123abc »

Offline gunnar123abc

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 03:21:02 pm »
OK I got it to work! Thanks to all in community.

Now I would like to have help finding good mods for XCOM!

For now I think I would like some extra UFOs of any type (so it looks different inside), and also I thought to get the mod with the extra terror missions maps.

Do any of you have any recomendations or concerns? When I look at the mod portal I see lots of different mods for ufos but I am not sure which ones are best or most stable, and I wonder if the extra terror mission map one still works?

What do you guys use?

Eventually I think I will try one of the mega mods to change the experience of the game a bit, but for my first few games I do not want to do that yet.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 03:45:51 pm »
For UFO layouts:
This mod from Hellrazor is the newest and certainly will satisfy your needs. I haven't played it yet, but Hellrazor is a very solid, meticulous modder.

For terror terrain:
This mod by Hobbes is the way to go. It's not just new terror maps but also some new wilderness maps.

I also absolutely recommend the Commendations mod from Shoes and Ivan Dogovich, it doesn't alter the game at all but gives some extra fun info on your soldiers' performance. But its versions are so confusing I can't provide the correct link myself. :P

Offline gunnar123abc

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 05:05:05 pm »
For UFO layouts:
This mod from Hellrazor is the newest and certainly will satisfy your needs. I haven't played it yet, but Hellrazor is a very solid, meticulous modder.

For terror terrain:
This mod by Hobbes is the way to go. It's not just new terror maps but also some new wilderness maps.

I also absolutely recommend the Commendations mod from Shoes and Ivan Dogovich, it doesn't alter the game at all but gives some extra fun info on your soldiers' performance. But its versions are so confusing I can't provide the correct link myself. :P

Ok I will try the first one, but the second one, it will not work with the nightly I got which is closer to present than where they said they stopped updating it :(

if i figure out which commendations one to get ill try it too :p thank you very much

Offline gunnar123abc

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 05:15:10 pm »
oh but i see this terror one:

https://www.openxcom.com/mod/lukes-expanded-terror-reworked

this should work yes? with latest nightly , and that ufo mod??

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 05:17:41 pm »
You can also use the terrain pack, the last avaible Version has one major bug, well its not really a bug, but was a consequence of some sanatizing in the OpenXcom Codebase, and can be fixed easily, by yourself.

Useing this Ruleset File attached to this post.

Just replace the Terrainpack.rul file in the Version you download from the Modportal with the one you can download from the post and you should be fine.

oh but i see this terror one:

https://www.openxcom.com/mod/lukes-expanded-terror-reworked

this should work yes? with latest nightly , and that ufo mod??

Off course it will :)
But i think it is not compatible with the terrainpack. (But thats not a issue since it is integrated into the terrainpack in the future).

You can also slap on Expanded Ubase Rework, which introduces new and more base modules for Alien Bases, they are pretty awesome :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 06:15:46 pm by Warboy1982 »

Offline gunnar123abc

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 01:37:40 am »
Okay I am a little confused,

I was able to get these mods in:

DARKENED UFO VANILLA VARIANTS
LUKES EXPANDED TERROR REWORKED

but I wonder now, how do you change how it looks?  (When I see "Darkened UFO Vanilla Varients" I worry that it only works with vanilla graphics?)

I was watching the Yogscast play XCOM (that is where I was introduced to it, in a livestream back in 2011, and also watching them play OpenXCOM the past two Wednesday and every wed till they beat it), and in the second stream when they got OpenXcom everything looked different in the terrain. I wonder how to do this? Can it be done without conflicting with the other mods already chosen to use?
---------------------------------------------------------
I am confused about Terrain Pack, as posted previously:

https://www.openxcom.com/mod/terrain-pack

does that change the look of the game or just add more maps? Will they conflict with the LUKES Expanded Terror Reworked mod and the Darkened UFO Vannila Varients mod? (Also I am worried that because I have the latest nightly, that Terrain Pack might not work)

-----------------------------------------------------

I like the idea for EXPANDED UBASE REWORK, I will add that to my mods. (I assume it will require new save game though yes?)

thanks everyone for replies!

------------------------------------------------------

oh almost forgot. I turned on in the options for troops to have little letters next to their name to indicate what they are good at, but I cannot figure out what each letter respresents. Is there any key to it?

And when I did a mission for the second time with skyranger, my rockets were on different people than last time, is there an option to have it saved (maybe i turned it off?) or maybe it will fix it self, but I wonder how it works in openxcom
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 01:42:23 am by gunnar123abc »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 07:18:01 am »
Okay I am a little confused,

I was able to get these mods in:

DARKENED UFO VANILLA VARIANTS
LUKES EXPANDED TERROR REWORKED

but I wonder now, how do you change how it looks?  (When I see "Darkened UFO Vanilla Varients" I worry that it only works with vanilla graphics?)
The UFO Mod adds more UFO Maps. These UFO Maps all have a different interior structure, compared to the vanilla ones, but they are variations of the vanilla ones, thats were the name comes from. They will look just the same, no graphical changes.

I was watching the Yogscast play XCOM (that is where I was introduced to it, in a livestream back in 2011, and also watching them play OpenXCOM the past two Wednesday and every wed till they beat it), and in the second stream when they got OpenXcom everything looked different in the terrain. I wonder how to do this? Can it be done without conflicting with the other mods already chosen to use?
---------------------------------------------------------
I am confused about Terrain Pack, as posted previously:

https://www.openxcom.com/mod/terrain-pack

does that change the look of the game or just add more maps? Will they conflict with the LUKES Expanded Terror Reworked mod and the Darkened UFO Vannila Varients mod? (Also I am worried that because I have the latest nightly, that Terrain Pack might not work)

The Terrain Pack Version from the Modportal, will not load with the newest nightly.
It will give you error msg. (Just tested)

-----------------------------------------------------

I like the idea for EXPANDED UBASE REWORK, I will add that to my mods. (I assume it will require new save game though yes?)

If you make a geoscape savegame, you do not need to restart your campaign usually.
The Mods:
- Darkened UFO Vanilla Variants,
- Lukes Expanded Terror Reworked
- Expanded Ubase Reworked

will work flawlessly together (i am having a somewhat vanilla playthrough for myself, which only slaps these on).

The Terrain Pack Mod is incompatible with Lukes Expanded Terror Reworked!
And with the newest nightly, the Terrain Pack Version you can download from the Modportal, will not load but give you a error message.

To avoid this error message and make the Mod work, you need to exchange the file "Terrain_Pack_Nightly.rul" located in 
$USERDIR/openxcom/mods/TERRAIN PACK v3.7/Ruleset/
with the file attached here.
Which contain fixes in this regard, then the terrain pack will work.

thanks everyone for replies!

------------------------------------------------------

oh almost forgot. I turned on in the options for troops to have little letters next to their name to indicate what they are good at, but I cannot figure out what each letter respresents. Is there any key to it?

Those are so called Statstrings, the definition of what letter is what can be found in the Statsstring ruleset file
Code: [Select]
# Based on XcomUtil by Scott Jones and BladeFireLight
# See https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Statstrings
# These are the default statStrings from XcomUtil.
# Melee has been added as a value that can be reported by statstrings.  Use "melee:" as the criteria.
  statStrings:
  - string: "x"
    psiStrength: [~, 30]
  - string: "P"
    psiStrength: [80, ~]
  - string: "p"
    psiStrength: [60, 79]
  - string: "K"
    psiSkill: [60, ~]
  - string: "k"
    psiSkill: [30, 59]
  - string: "b"
    bravery: [60, ~]
  - string: "c"
    bravery: [~, 10]
  - string: "w"
    strength: [~, 25]
  - string: "Snpr"
    firing: [60, ~]
    reactions: [60, ~]
  - string: "M"
    firing: [70, ~]
  - string: "m"
    firing: [60, 69]
  - string: "Sct"
    reactions: [50, ~]
    tu: [60, ~]
  - string: "R"
    reactions: [60, ~]
  - string: "r"
    reactions: [50, 59]

And when I did a mission for the second time with skyranger, my rockets were on different people than last time, is there an option to have it saved (maybe i turned it off?) or maybe it will fix it self, but I wonder how it works in openxcom

You have to set the equipment on your soldiers at least once manually, if i remember right, but then the game should keep the settings, as long as your Craft is equipted with enough items to fullfill those.

Offline gunnar123abc

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 07:42:52 pm »
Ok so is terrain pack what this is?

(first image)

https://imgur.com/a/qALUl

mine is what it looks like in second image, which is before they started using openxcom. (I know about changing the zoom level, but everything looks little different after they started using openxcom, such as the soldiers)

I am a little confused. So in games like Dwarf Fortress, you get a tileset and or graphics set and it will change the look of the game. When I see a mod like "terrain pack" it says it does things OUTSIDE of changing looks, What I mean to say is it does not seem like a mod specifically for changing the look of the game alone, but I might be mistaken

Anyway, I feel like I shouldn't use the terrain pack because it would conflict with the Lukes Terror rework, so wouldnt the terror missions have just the default maps again?

Sorry if this is confusing what I say, I do not really know the "terms" exactly, so it is hard to express what I want to say. I am wondering what changes the look of the game's graphics, without doing anything else, without conflicting with other mods or anything like that. Or is such things not possible with xcom??

If someone can, can one say the advantages or disadvantages of using terrain pack instead of lukes terror rework??

Offline gunnar123abc

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 12:11:26 am »
nevermind my troops look like that too, (i did my first ever terror mission!) It ended with 1 survivor... a failure! oh my

first 4 that left the craft got killed instantly the moment they left the craft :)