aliens

Author Topic: Soldier Portrait Mod  (Read 19263 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: Soldier Portrait Mod
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2016, 10:49:09 am »
Here's the list of all hardwired changes in OXCE, which I think all are improvements.

Code: [Select]
Explosions don't remove unconscious unit if they can't kill them first.
Craft weapon equip screen is a bit rearranged.
Psi-Amp use 3d range, not 2d.
Fixed ammo are added after weapons in armor and unit (armor items are before unit items).
Corpses, items and Chryssalids are not spawned when unit is killed by weapons with overkill.
Stunned units can be hited by bullets and fire.
Big groups of aliens (20+) get less morale losses from casualties.
While loading and unloading weapons you must pay the cost of moving the item to hand.
You can unprime granade for half of prime TUs cost.
Throwing now requires a healthy arm to do it (if the item is two-handed, then it requires both).
Rewriten handling of alien psi attacks to handle new features of Psi-Amp.
Throwing and hitting using two-handed weapons have the same penalty as with shooting.

Offline harre

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2016, 04:53:08 pm »
is any of it ever going to be pushed upstream?

+1

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2016, 07:38:59 pm »
Almost everything in OXCE is optional as in "If you don't use it in a mod, it's not going to affect the game". Take psi-amps, they can deal direct damage, but unless you mod a psi-amp into the game to deal damage, it won't.

There are a few gameplay things that are there no matter what though. Like shooting at tiles with an unconscious soldier being able to kill them (and conversely, explosions needing to kill a soldier to destroy them, instead of just outright destroying the corpse). Yankes should have a list somewhere of what the "hardwired" changes are.
Thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Being able to shoot unconscious aliens/soldiers sounds like an awesome added feature, but I wasn't keen on the psi-amp dealing damage since I was trying to make it less powerful.

Here's the list of all hardwired changes in OXCE, which I think all are improvements.

Code: [Select]
Explosions don't remove unconscious unit if they can't kill them first.
Craft weapon equip screen is a bit rearranged.
Psi-Amp use 3d range, not 2d.
Fixed ammo are added after weapons in armor and unit (armor items are before unit items).
Corpses, items and Chryssalids are not spawned when unit is killed by weapons with overkill.
Stunned units can be hited by bullets and fire.
Big groups of aliens (20+) get less morale losses from casualties.
While loading and unloading weapons you must pay the cost of moving the item to hand.
You can unprime granade for half of prime TUs cost.
Throwing now requires a healthy arm to do it (if the item is two-handed, then it requires both).
Rewriten handling of alien psi attacks to handle new features of Psi-Amp.
Throwing and hitting using two-handed weapons have the same penalty as with shooting.
Thank you for making that list, I agree what I understand there  sounds pretty great. I have a few questions though.

1) Psi-Amp use 3d range, not 2d.

-I assume this means before the psi attack/defense formula didn't take into account if you were on different floors/levels, only horizontal distance. Any idea how many "tiles" this adds to the distance in the formula? If you are directly below someone does that count as "1" tile?

2) Fixed ammo are added after weapons in armor and unit (armor items are before unit items).

-I have absolutely no idea what this means. Not even an educated guess, haha.

3) Corpses, items and Chryssalids are not spawned when unit is killed by weapons with overkill.

-I assume this means big explosions will blow up bodies/items/Chryssalids rather than leave a corpse or zombie. Makes sense. What vanilla weapons would have overkill? I assume blaster bombs, alien grenades, heavy explosives and tank rockets/fusion bombs?

4) While loading and unloading weapons you must pay the cost of moving the item to hand

-Is this just the 4 TUs it costs to switch hands?

5) Rewriten handling of alien psi attacks to handle new features of Psi-Amp.

-What does this mean? How are alien psi attacks different? If you don't use the damage dealing feature of the Psi-Amp, what changes?

Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate the help.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2016, 08:32:50 pm »
Thanks for the replies. So it sounds like OXCE+ has everything OXCE has, but adds extra UI changes like the currently discussed portrait mod?
Some changes aren't added in current version of OXCE but will be in next. This is primary because OXCE+ is more often updated.

My changes or Meridian's changes? For my part, I think that better would be not merging. I didn't write code with other programs in mind. And now forcing ways I like on others will not be good thing. e.g. I switch to C++11 because I dislike lack of features in old standard. Is this right thing for upstream?

Thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Being able to shoot unconscious aliens/soldiers sounds like an awesome added feature, but I wasn't keen on the psi-amp dealing damage since I was trying to make it less powerful.
Thank you for making that list, I agree what I understand there  sounds pretty great. I have a few questions though.

1) Psi-Amp use 3d range, not 2d.

-I assume this means before the psi attack/defense formula didn't take into account if you were on different floors/levels, only horizontal distance. Any idea how many "tiles" this adds to the distance in the formula? If you are directly below someone does that count as "1" tile?

Distance is count in voxels. tile have 16x16x24 of them. This mean level lower will have distance around 1.5.
2) Fixed ammo are added after weapons in armor and unit (armor items are before unit items).

-I have absolutely no idea what this means. Not even an educated guess, haha.

This is how items are handled when game create new units, in ruleset you define items that unit will get. If you list them in wrong order, ammo will not load to weapon.
3) Corpses, items and Chryssalids are not spawned when unit is killed by weapons with overkill.

-I assume this means big explosions will blow up bodies/items/Chryssalids rather than leave a corpse or zombie. Makes sense. What vanilla weapons would have overkill? I assume blaster bombs, alien grenades, heavy explosives and tank rockets/fusion bombs?

This was changed back to original behavior for default. It was too big change that was easy to turn off (and on) to leave that way.

4) While loading and unloading weapons you must pay the cost of moving the item to hand

-Is this just the 4 TUs it costs to switch hands?

If items are in hands then you don't pay any thing over load/unload cost. If not then you need pay cost of moving item to hands too.

5) Rewriten handling of alien psi attacks to handle new features of Psi-Amp.

-What does this mean? How are alien psi attacks different? If you don't use the damage dealing feature of the Psi-Amp, what changes?
I try made it work similar to original but I don't give guaranties that it will always work same. This is primary info for veterans that know exactly how it should work.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2016, 10:17:20 pm »

I certainly hope so.

Definitely don't want to force anything on vanilla, but having more options for modding and (optional) GUI enhancements sounds too good. I would say about 50% of OXCE and 50% of OXCE+ could be merged without much hassle... the rest, we'll see.

I have only a few more features on my list... after they are done (working prototypes stage), I'd like to discuss with SupSuper, Warboy and Yankes what could go upstream from OXCE+ to OXCE and even to OXC. Timewise, Q1 or Q2 2016.

Also, it may be a good idea to release 2.0 before the merging.