Author Topic: [DONE] [EXPERIMENTAL MECHANICS] Bank loan  (Read 2925 times)

Offline DeltaEpsilon

• Captain
    • View Profile
[DONE] [EXPERIMENTAL MECHANICS] Bank loan
« on: January 02, 2016, 01:35:07 am »
Simple but robust. Exploits modding possibilities to do what game engine is not supposed to do.

SpoilerFigurative lore:
If you are in a dire financial situation, the Bank of Imaginary World can help you out! Imaginary World is a wonderful but strange place. It wants to expand and that's how the Bank of Imaginary World works. Instead of paying part of your loan periodically, it uses your habitable space as housing.

How to take a loan:
1. [Purchase menu] Write a loan agreement. By doing that you are allocating your general stores' space to the Bank. Each agreement costs $5 000 as an initial payment. The Bank pays $100 000 for 10 units of space.
2. [Manufacture menu] Equip allocated space for the Bank. By doing that you sign the agreement and get your money from the Bank.

How to discard a loan agreement:
1. [Sell menu] Return the agreement. You get your $5 000 back.

How to repay a loan
1. [Sell menu] Regain control of your general stores' space by paying $125 000 to the Bank. After that your agreement with the Bank is over.

SpoilerHow to use:
First you need to go and purchase "Loan Agreement ($100000)" which costs $5000 and takes 10 space. To get your actual loan you need to manufacture it. After that you get LOAN item which will take 10 units of space until you sell it. Selling it costs $125 000. So in the end you get $95 000 and pay $125 000 when your stores are clogged (with imaginary creatures and things).

SpoilerWhy does it work in such a strange way?:
Because OXC provides very little means of doing what this mod does. Too bad:
1. You can't make negative purchase cost which would be the easiest way of doing things. Well, it's possible but the game does not react well to that.
2. Unless storage limits are enforced, you can manufacture things limitlessly in regards to space. That's why you first need to _buy_ an agreement as it's the only way I can force game to consider free space left.
3. Cool way of balancing. If you don't have free space, it means you have something to sell and don't really need Bank's help. You can't also take a huge loan if you are not really advanced with your bases.
4. There are a couple of exploits associated with that mod, but I don't know a way to make them unusable.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fc7g3k7fsnx5tlt/bankloan.zip?dl=0
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 03:10:28 am by EditorRUS »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [DONE] [EXPERIMENTAL MECHANICS] Bank loan
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 06:35:27 am »
Interesting mechanics, I might use it.
I also had another idea in that vein: Buying Govt Securities. Each of these papers is worth $100k buy, $110k sell. The catch? They have a transferTime of 1 month or more (these numbers are just examples). To avoid spamming, each can cost you a non-negligible amount of Storage, too.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 05:37:26 am »
Just fight more aliens to get the money you need.
Better then becoming a loanslave to banksters or governments.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 03:58:50 pm »
Just fight more aliens to get the money you need.
Better then becoming a loanslave to banksters or governments.

+1. But I like the thought experiment, using existing mechanics for new features is the core of modding.